• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am considered a Grammar Nazi, is this a common Aspie trait?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

I do tend to pull people up on forums if their spelling and/or grammar is not very good, and most people don't like it.

Is it just me though or is it a common Aspie trait?

It is definitely an aspie trait to want to put people right about something, but I have made errors on here and no one has brought me up about it and I noticed others have made errors and I do not bring them up on it and that could be because I see that if no one is commenting on my bad spelling, then I should give the same courtesy.

My grammar isn't perfect and I often have to write then read and correct what I've written a good few times before I consider it acceptable and sometimes I even mix up words without initially realising it, but I always do my best and I definitely don't like leaving something that I know is wrong even if it is a small spelling or grammar mistake. For instance, I will always use an apostrophe when writing "won't" or "don't", but many people couldn't care less and I suppose for the purposes of this forum it doesn't truly matter as long as what's written is still easily understandable. Sometimes I will see an update to a thread and I'll refresh my memory by reading my past reply when I spot a grammar or spelling mistake, then I'm itching to correct it and it's annoying if I've already been quoted by another member. That's why you often see my comments updated later.

It's difficult to say whether it's related to being on the autistic spectrum, I used to be terrible at English and writing so I wasn't capable of being strict about grammar, the Internet gradually made me a lot better over the last 23 years (the first time I used the Internet was around 1995). People on the autistic spectrum do sometimes have an obsession to put everything neatly in a specific place, so it is still possible, although I'm sure there's many NTs that are very strict about correct spelling and grammar too.

I'm not one for pointing out other people's spelling or grammar mistakes however as long as it's understandable and I don't need to ask for clarification because I know it can annoy some people (I don't need an NT person to tell me this). The only time I would consider correcting someone would be if they specifically asked me to check something that was important to them, E.g. an application form.

Last edited:
My grammar isn't perfect and I often have to write then read and correct what I've written a good few times before I consider it acceptable and sometimes I even mix up words without initially realising it, but I always do my best and I definitely don't like leaving something that I know is wrong even if it is a small spelling or grammar mistake. For instance, I will always use an apostrophe when writing "won't" or "don't", but many people couldn't care less and I suppose for the purposes of this forum it doesn't truly matter if what's written is easily understandable. Sometimes I will see an update to a thread and I'll refresh my memory my reading my past reply when I spot a grammar or spelling mistake, then I'm itching to correct it and it's annoying if I've already been quoted by another member. That's why you often see my comments updated later.

It's difficult to say whether it's related to being on the autistic spectrum, I used to be terrible at English and writing so I wasn't capable of being strict about grammar, the Internet gradually made me a lot better over the last 23 years (the first time I used the Internet was around 1995). People on the autistic spectrum do sometimes have an obsession to put everything neatly in a specific place, so it is still possible, although I'm sure there's many NTs that are very strict about correct spelling and grammar too.

I'm not one for pointing out other people's spelling or grammar mistakes however as long as it's understandable and I don't need to ask for clarification because I know it can annoy some people. The only time I would consider correcting someone would be if they specifically asked me to check something that was important to them, E.g. an application form.

Check out the free program Grammarly. It will correct spelling and punctuation for you if that's important to you.
https://www.grammarly.com/signup

I think so! Some of us really like words, and we can memorize with ease. I had a fascination at a young age, now still. (I am norwegian, so this is not my first language) HeeeeEEEeeee. I tell people when it is of importance to seem proffesional, never in a chat or an update on facebook. :)

Do I notice errors in the mechanics, usage, spelling, and grammar of others? Yes. It's an Aspie trait to notice idiosyncrasies. But just noticing isn't being a grammar Nazi. Being a grammar Nazi begins when you decide it's necessary to go out of your way to point it out for whatever purpose.

That means being a grammar Nazi isn't an Aspie trait; rather, it's a trait of being something else entirely. Something that rhymes with "stick".

Do I notice errors in the mechanics, usage, spelling, and grammar of others? Yes. It's an Aspie trait to notice idiosyncrasies. But just noticing isn't being a grammar Nazi. Being a grammar Nazi begins when you decide it's necessary to go out of your way to point it out for whatever purpose.

That means being a grammar Nazi isn't an Aspie trait; rather, it's a trait of being something else entirely. Something that rhymes with "stick".

So well said!

I was very much a grammar Nazi, but began to change when I learned about Descriptivism vs Prescriptivism.

Prescriptivism is the viewpoint that the English language is codified in a set of rigid and unchangeable rules. Prescriptivists view a dictionary as defining how words should be used. This viewpoint is what a lot of us learned in our English classes.

Descriptivism is the approach that English is a living, changing thing, and all we can do is describe how it is used. Most dictionary editors are descriptivists. If enough people use a word a certain way, it is added to the dictionary.

So, I try to take a descriptivist viewpoint, and let people say what they say. If I can understand what they mean, it's good enough. You can say "lit", "woke", "hep" or "whatever." My wife and her siblings say " do you remember whenever we did this?" when they refer to one occasion. I would have said "when" instead of whenever. But I write it off as a regionalism. It's not how I talk, bit it works just as well.

There are still things that make my eyes involuntarily twitch, though. I am 100% an Oxford comma man. I just don't call people on it unless I'm reviewing text for them. Maybe I'm just a passive, closet grammar Nazi.

Haha! I do think so! However, here, I think we are so nice that we just point out the CORRECT things others do as opposed to slamming perpetrators. For instance, I used "however" instead of "but." Hehehe. I was told never to start a sentence with "but". Now, with periods after or before the final quote? The jury is still out.

I was very much a grammar Nazi, but began to change when I learned about Descriptivism vs Prescriptivism.

Prescriptivism is the viewpoint that the English language is codified in a set of rigid and unchangeable rules. Prescriptivists view a dictionary as defining how words should be used. This viewpoint is what a lot of us learned in our English classes.

Descriptivism is the approach that English is a living, changing thing, and all we can do is describe how it is used. Most dictionary editors are descriptivists. If enough people use a word a certain way, it is added to the dictionary.

So, I try to take a descriptivist viewpoint, and let people say what they say. If I can understand what they mean, it's good enough. You can say "lit", "woke", "hep" or "whatever." My wife and her siblings say " do you remember whenever we did this?" when they refer to one occasion. I would have said "when" instead of whenever. But I write it off as a regionalism. It's not how I talk, bit it works just as well.

There are still things that make my eyes involuntarily twitch, though. I am 100% an Oxford comma man. I just don't call people on it unless I'm reviewing text for them. Maybe I'm just a passive, closet grammar Nazi.
Interesting! They also say this about a ot of ancient philosophy, especially Aristotle. Take his "Poetics," for instance. Many believe it was written "descriptively," simply describing what he saw in the ancient dramas. However, it was read "prescriptively" by so many-for CENTURIES- that it thwarted a good deal of creativity. Everyone HAD to write according to what Aristotle said, a sentiment to which he would have been tremendously opposed! Same idea, no ?

It is true, all English words and even grammar are created simply by people using them. A new word or an existing word with a new meaning could at first be used by just 1 person, but if others start using the word and it catches on it can become slang, then if enough people continue to use the new word or meaning it eventually becomes official English and it's added to the dictionary. There's numerous additional words added every month and one example of an existing word that evolved with a new meaning is the word "gay" which used to only mean happy. With the Internet however new words and meaning have never been created so fast, it's accelerated the evolution of the English language with around 1000 new words being added each year.

Edit:

Not many words, if any seem to get removed from the dictionary however even when they're no longer used, for instance have you ever heard anyone say, "I'm going to put the baby in the perambulator" for instance? Well you have now and "perambulator" is an old word that was later shortened to "pram". Perhaps it's because old words are immortalised in old texts and in more recent years even in old film? That said this probably isn't the best example since I've just learned that a perambulator is also "a wheel-like instrument used by surveyors to measure distances". Okay, here's another example, I wouldn't say, "peradventure I've just missed them" if I thought I might have just missed someone as I'd probably end up getting some really weird and confused looks, but "peradventure" is a no longer used word for "perhaps" and it's still officially correct English.

Last edited:
Used to be a little 'perfectionist' when it came to spelling and grammar, in my own manner. Then I went to university, after turning in my first english essay, I saw all the red marks on the returned paper.
Which astonished me, because there's an upper level of grammar and usage. Errors like dangling modifiers and many grammar rules that I had no idea about. It made me less proud of my abilities, a little embarrassed that I didn't know about them.

Last edited:
Do I notice other people's mistakes? Yes. Do I point them out? No, unless they are asking for advice on their writing. Pointing out other people's mistakes on a public forum where spelling and grammar are of no importance is pointless and irritating, and rather hypocritical unless your own spelling and grammar is perfect 100% of the time.

Do I notice other people's mistakes? Yes. Do I point them out? No, unless they are asking for advice on their writing. Pointing out other people's mistakes on a public forum where spelling and grammar are of no importance is pointless and irritating, and rather hypocritical unless your own spelling and grammar is perfect 100% of the time.

I notice it all the time, but I rarely say anything, sometimes I do... Even if I don't say anything it still bothers me to some degree... :eek:

As long as the message is clear, I could care less. I'm not here to give anyone lessons in English, and unless you've got a flawless by-the-book grasp on the use of language (and very few people do) I'm certainly not looking forward to be tutored either.

Mistakes stand out clear as day to me, sure, but taking the time to interrupt the flow of conversation, needlessly splitting hairs, broadcasting it for everyone else to see and becoming a thorn in everyone's side? Why? "Good enough" is...well, good enough for the majority of folks, so I say get with the program :)

Last edited:
Lol you’re not the only one as I’m also a grammar and spelling natzi. Suzanne, your sentences are too long. ;)

If all you are complaining about are my sentences being too long, then I am flattered lol:p

My husband is an nt and if I get one letter wrong, I am pronounced a bad speller and thus, he always says: womEn for womAn and I have to laugh at that.

Last edited:
I do notice when other people make mistakes, however, I don't comment on it unless:
a) I am their supervisor and as such, have a reason to voice my opinion on their language
or
b) I have been asked explicitly to correct their text, and as such, have a reason to voice my opinion on their language.

Otherwise it just feels like the online equivalent of walking up to someone out of the blue and pointing out everything they're doing wrong in your book. Rude and unnecessary.

I notice, but generally won't correct because I've learned that socially, correcting someone's grammar is usually interpreted as confrontational rather than helpful. Most people like expressing themselves and dislike feeling dumb.

New Threads

Top Bottom