• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hyposensitive to heat to hypersensitive?

I use to be really hyposensitive to heat. I live in a hot place and I had no problem wearing long sleeve and even sweaters while riding my bike in July Texas weather.

Now I’m really sensitive to heat and have a rough time with warm let alone hot weather. I lived in a cold place last autumn and I think I lost my ability to tolerate heat there.

I went from not feeling how hot the bathtub was to the point I fainted when I came out of it a few years ago, to now not being able to stand baths much above lukewarm.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I’m not sure if I experienced hyposensitivity because of exposure while growing up or because of autism (or likely a mix). But the contrast to now is so drastic and mildly distressing.

Yes.
I was born in the desert region then lived many years where it gets very cold in the winters. Then I moved to a more tropical zone.
I was always hyposensitive to heat, no matter the climate.
Bring it on, I loved walking in the sun and feeling the heat.

Then suddenly, about 3 years ago, I became intolerant of the heat.
Now just moving about even in the house, I sweat and feel the heat.
Never was like that before.
I know feeling the heat and excessive sweating is the autonomic nervous system.
So, it must have something to do with the brain.
For me there has been no change in climates for over 30 years.

I think I am overall fairly hyposensitive to heat. But I think one of my meds might cause some heat sensitivity, because sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night overheating when I'm not normally sensitive to that temperature.
Unsure of what else could cause this, but SusanLR is probably right about it having to do with the brain.

I've experienced something like that. I used to love the humidity in summer, as a kid. It never bothered me. Then I went to the Pacific Northwest for several months for school. It's not very humid there, and since then I hate the humidity.

Not sure. I know how heat and humidity feels. Including the dangerous kind. But, hypersensitivity to it? If it’s prolonged exposure probably. Never been anywhere where there wasn’t a lot of humidity. Very sensitive to cold weather.

Summertime makes me so sick. My body swells up, my blood pressure gets so low that I have repeated dizzy spells, I get so thirsty, I get hypoglycemic. I have to take waterpills every day, pretty much for the next five or six months. Plus, other than my freckles, I have almost no melanin, so any time spent in the sun ends with a painful sunburn. Until Autumn, I'll be going from one shady grove of trees to another, with lots of swimming in between.

I thrive in the cold months. It could be 17 degrees, and I'll seriously rock that. I just want it to be October again, already.

Yes.
I was born in the desert region then lived many years where it gets very cold in the winters. Then I moved to a more tropical zone.
I was always hyposensitive to heat, no matter the climate.
Bring it on, I loved walking in the sun and feeling the heat.

Then suddenly, about 3 years ago, I became intolerant of the heat.
Now just moving about even in the house, I sweat and feel the heat.
Never was like that before.
I know feeling the heat and excessive sweating is the autonomic nervous system.
So, it must have something to do with the brain.
For me there has been no change in climates for over 30 years.
I grew up in a desert climate as well. I'm absolutely fine with dry heat. I love it. Not the blast of sunshine, but the heat, no prob. It's the humidity of where I live now that makes it so unbearable.

Well, I have the EXACTLY same case. Also live in place with high temperatures, we have low 20s from March to early November, high 20s from April to October, low 30s from May to September and high 30s occasionally.

Well, when I was a child I pretty much liked hot weather, summer heat was my favourite weather. I used to be the only child in long sleeves in school, wearing them at 25 degrees temperatures, when it hit 27 I would go to short sleeves, but with an undershirt. It had to be around 32 to go into short sleeves without undershirt and shorts.

Things suddenly changed in 2015, when I was age 11. During the spring and early summer 2015 it was still heat liking me. Things suddenly changed in July 2015 when we were hit by a really bad heatwave lasting 3 weeks. After that I started disliking and not tollerating heat. In 2017 I requested parents to get an air conditioner in my room. Now I can't sleep without it. As soon as temp is above 25 I cant fall asleep, during the day I cant stand above 28. I even started having night sweats all year long, including winter. During the day I start feeling bad if its too hot and struggle to cool down. Last 2-3 years the problem is no more only in summer, I cant stand the heating in public transport in winter, I sometimes choose to walk up to 5 km to avoid it. Also had problems in high school where they heated strongly in winter and even at home cant fall alseep all year long because I'm hot.

Not sure about actually being hyposensitive to heat. Maybe I am, relatively speaking ?

Dry heat....between 110 and 117 degrees I used to feel in the microclimate while living in the SF Bay Area. At 110 degrees it would begin to get uncomfortable. But not unbearable. That would come around 115+ degrees.

Living in the High Desert of Nevada...I don't think I recall it being much hotter than 108. But again, it's a dry heat. It's expected, and I've been used to such temperatures well....a very long time. I enjoy the heat in most cases.

However...

Growing in Virginia, oh my. Ninety percent+ humidity at 95 degrees was awful. And then those summers in Philadelphia when I would be sent there for advanced underwriting training. Unbearable in the nineties. Five minutes wearing a coat and tie and I needed a shower. Thank goodness "business casual" came about.

110 degrees is something I never expirienced, 105 is absolute record for my city and it rarely passes 100. We have both dry and humid heat. I agree thst humid is more uncomfortable. Dry heat begins to be uncomfortable around 85-90 degrees, humid heat is awful, I struggle in 75 degrees if it's humid.

Apparently am hyposensitive to heat. 3 times this year I have had heat exhaustion hit me by surprise. My body has been weakened by years of chronic active Epstein-Barre virus, so I'm not as resilient to physical stressors as I used to be. In each of my 3 episodes, it really didn't seem hot, and I felt fine in the heat till suddenly I was in clammy sweat and too weak to function.

I have found that as I have gotten older, the less tolerant of temperature extremes I am. Where I live can reach 35°C to 42°C in summer, and -25°C to -42°C in winter...10 years ago, I was better with that than I am now, where I am miserable when it is hotter than 25°C or colder than -15°C.

I use to be really hyposensitive to heat. I live in a hot place and I had no problem wearing long sleeve and even sweaters while riding my bike in July Texas weather.

Now I’m really sensitive to heat and have a rough time with warm let alone hot weather. I lived in a cold place last autumn and I think I lost my ability to tolerate heat there.

I went from not feeling how hot the bathtub was to the point I fainted when I came out of it a few years ago, to now not being able to stand baths much above lukewarm.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I’m not sure if I experienced hyposensitivity because of exposure while growing up or because of autism (or likely a mix). But the contrast to now is so drastic and mildly distressing.
I used to get really, really hot I still do when it gets above 30 degrees but I hate fans and lot of times air con.
Because air con is so cold and u need a jacket and fans just blow you to death until exhausted.
But u need it on because the dry heat and humidity is unbearable and the air gets really stale and hot.
And in winter in the past I feel like all my fingers would snap off outside and inside too like my hands and fingers would get so cold.
And I would wear like 10 blankets but so heavy.
I am still a coldy I think I still get cold at times.
I am the sort always to wear a blanket for comfort, cannot stand not to even if summer I want to and feel uncomfortable lying there with nothing and it is a often on and off situation or stick your foot out but feel weird about it and want it back in.

I have found that as I have gotten older, the less tolerant of temperature extremes I am. Where I live can reach 35°C to 42°C in summer, and -25°C to -42°C in winter...10 years ago, I was better with that than I am now, where I am miserable when it is hotter than 25°C or colder than -15°C.

Where are you from? This sounds like some sharp continental climate, for example, Colorado, US.

In my place, Zagreb, Croatia it rarely exceeds 35, but it is often humid and stormy. The most uncomfortable for me is when a storm with heavy rain passes and then sun shines again, then it gets really humid. We sometimes also get druoghts, but in last years storminess is more common.

Winters here are pretty mild. We sometimes get heavy snowfalls, but it hasn't been a case for years. Temperatures rarely drop below -10. I find these winters confortable. I like riding a bike or walking in those foggy, cloudy and cool days we have in November, December and January.

I'm reversed. I grew up in a cold city, moved north where it's warmer and the cold can trigger meltdowns now.

I can get sensory overwhelmed by walking past the chillers at the supermarket.

Similar in many ways, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Yes, I heard that Canada sometimes has large heat waves like one in 2021. Winters there are really cold. I watch alpine skiing on Tv and know that in your ski resort Lake Louise it is always cold and snowy, while in Alpes they often ski on mushy, artificial snow in spring like conditions.

I don't think I'm hypo or hypersensitive to heat, but when the weather is hot I do get stressed if I have too many clothes on me.
I bought some suitable shorts for work to wear in the summer but was told that wearing shorts are against health and safety regulations. It was incredibly distressing when I was told that last summer when temperatures soared up to 40 Celsius, which is unusual in the UK. When I pointed that out, they just said "well everyone else wears trousers", which is true and I didn't want to be a snowflake but health and safety rules do irritate me.
It's my body and for what job I do I don't think I am putting myself in any danger by wearing shorts. We don't have air conditioning and I just can't bear having too many clothes on when it's hot.

The same happened when I was at school. The uniform was black, skirts weren't allowed and we weren't allowed to take our blazers off unless a teacher said we could. So, in temperatures over 30 Celsius it was torture having to come to school in black trousers and blazer.

New Threads

Top Bottom