• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hurricane Ian

WhitewaterWoman

V.I.P Member
It looks like there is a good chance I’ll be affected by Hurricane Ian. My husband is out of town. I’m not sure I can get the plywood on the windows by myself. There are two people I could call for help, but I don’t really know them that well. I have to work today until late tonight. Tomorrow I have a dentist appointment; I should cancel that. There is also a conference this coming weekend that I am supposed to go to. My business is going through the annual state audit and I have a deadline of 9/29 for the administrative section. Plus I have to finish all the regular monthly work by 9/30.

I’m feeling a strange combination of being overwhelmed but also calm at the center.

Me too. Central FL area, I have work 11:45am-6:15pm on 9/28. I have no idea if work will be canceled that day though. Event I’m attending is on 10/1, hopefully after this hurricane.

I'm in Mississippi so we're monitoring the hurricane, too, in case it turns westward toward us. I wish I could come help you with the plywood. I don't know where you're located but the meteorologists are indicating that Tampa may take the brunt of the storm and anticipate as much as a 6-foot tidal storm surge there and up to a foot of rain. It's about a 14-hour drive to Tampa from my home because I'd have to drive along the Gulf from Mississippi, through Alabama and the Florida panhandle all the way down to Tampa.

Would your next-door neighbors help you?

Stay safe, stock up on water and the other essentials, and keep us posted on what happens. I'll be thinking about you!

I live way out in the country. No neighbors, but if the track persists in coming my way, I will reach out to the two contacts I have.

I’m always stocked up and ready with food and supplies. I’ll lose a lot of frozen food if the power goes out more than a day. We were without power for 8 days after Irma.

Irma also dropped trees on the access road, so it took a couple of days to clear the downed oaks.

Best of luck to all of us in the path.

I'm not down there currently, but the family has a place down there. Anna Maria Island, on the Gulf coast. My sanctuary, really.

Honestly I'm just trying not to think about it right now.

Okay. Just hoping that everything is okay. Just told my Tampa friend to stay safe. Stay safe to those here also.

I went out and the streets are packed but Aldi just expanded and there was food left on the shelve. Way better then Walmart.

People are sorta nuts, but hey, it's Florida.

Ever since I was a young child I wanted to see the eye of a cyclone. Living in the tropics I got to experience quite a few cyclones but in 2018 I finally got to see the eye of one. It was definitely a little strange.

And an urban myth from Darwin - People at the bureau of met are on the take, large supermarket chains pay them to call a tropical low a cyclone to trigger panic buying. That way the supermarkets get to clear all their old stock.

Keeps your heads down, stay safe.

I bought chocolate goodies, l may loose my house but l just need chocolate to get through the rest.
At our local Costco they have Sander's Sea Salt Caramels in dark chocolate. Buttery, salt, and rich cocoa. I hate going past them on my way to check out.

The weather - bot guy said 40ft waves are possible on the Gulf of Mexico side. But it still may veer away. My friend just bought a cute villa near Tampa Bay. I hope it doesn't go that way. Her mom is now living with her.

Somebody has wood on their windows near me.

I'm not down there currently, but the family has a place down there. Anna Maria Island, on the Gulf coast. My sanctuary, really.

Honestly I'm just trying not to think about it right now.
I think it might be mandatory evacuation that side unless the direction changes. My family just opened a scuba shop in Anna Maria. Beautiful island.

I think it might be mandatory evacuation that side unless the direction changes. My family just opened a scuba shop in Anna Maria. Beautiful island.
My favorite Island on the Gulf Coast is a hard one. I like Matlacha, between Cape Coral and Pine Island. Little more than a wide spot it was still a working fishing village with great, cheap, seafood at the Sandy Hook restaurant. We would sea kayak to Cayo Costa and once stayed at Cabbage Key. Lots of Mangroves, and upside down Jellyfish. I hope conditions will not be bad there but do not expect that. Silver lining - Were I there, right after the storm I'd be scouring the beaches from Venice on down for fossil shark teeth.

Yeah, it's being evacuated.

I cant even imagine what it must be like. The island has one giant flaw, which is that there's only two bridges to get on, and ONE main road once on the island... it's too thin for anything else. That road and those bridges are a bloody mess at the best of times, and now the entire population on there needs to get off all at once? Ouch.

And there's already people who are going to be refusing to get off of it even despite it being mandatory (just heard about a couple of them that my parents know down there).

gaUFEJE.jpg

This was sent to me just a bit ago.

I think it speaks for itself.

That depends entirely on how far away you live from the trainwreck state :cool:
I am in WA state. The opposite corner of the country. I hated living in Florida when I lived there for half a year, but I do not wish this upon them. I have some extended family down there.

New Threads

Top Bottom