• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How useful is coding as a job skill?

IContainMultitudes

V.I.P Member
How useful is learning to code in terms of finding employment? A lot of people seem to argue that it really isn't, partially because having the skills to be successful in that field is kind of a constantly moving target (the first article makes the analogy that asking veteran programmers what you need to learn to get a job in that field is kind of like taking advice from someone who first learned how to drive a horse and buggy rather than a car):

You Don’t Need To Learn To Code + Other Truths About the Future of Careers

No--You Don’t Need To Learn To Code

I'm currently trying to learn a little about coding, but mainly just for fun and without any really serious hope of finding a job doing it.

This book has a little bit of advice on finding coding jobs, but it's probably a bit outdated already (the book was first published in Summer 2011):

http://www.amazon.com/Business-Aspi...388260411&sr=1-1&keywords=business+for+aspies

Last edited:
I'm no expert in the field, but I assume its usefulness varies from job to job. I do know that my boyfriend's computer skills have secured him a good position, at least.

How useful is learning to code in terms of finding employment?

That's a loaded question. I suppose it ultimately depends on what capacity one is working in, as to whether or not just how in-depth such a skill is required. When I was learning website design, I was learning it based on a development process of coding scripting languages and markup from scratch.

Nowadays I see many websites which appear to depend on software programs which create such coding on the fly. It certainly speeds up productivity, but also reflects developers who are proficient in a particular software product rather than a scripting or markup language who are also probably paid less than those who can create it from scratch. But even when you can create such things from scratch, it doesn't preclude them from using code in a modular fashion either. Crafting everything from scratch isn't practical.

In a large corporate setting I could see a dependence on people who depend on software. In smaller settings I could see an employer depending on someone with the skills to create and maintain something from the ground up. So from my perspective, it just depends on what skills you bring to the table, and the requirements and resources of a potential employer.

Where overall development experience might be more valuable than specific knowledge of coding on a resume.

Last edited:
I had to learn some when I worked as an air quality modeller. It's a relatively new field where the research is influencing the written program's, and as such they need to be modified and adapted. Also there is a distinct lack of pre and post processing tools.

Also, a lot of companies are moving into the use of databases that manage contacts, project budgets and schedules, time sheets, business finances etc all in one package. Setting that up for each business requires programming skills to adapt the software to the specific needs of the business.

These jobs you wouldn't find with a search for a job description such as "coder" (or whatever you want to label it). I think they're out there, but tacked onto another discipline.

Well for physics and astronomy, it is pretty much mandatory, or else into the trash you go. I have no idea about for other jobs though.

Have people been saying you need to learn how to code - period? It's been placed on a pedestal over the last few years as the be all and end all to working with and understanding computers and technology... silly.

No, nobody's been telling me that, it's just something that you hear from a lot of people that you should learn how to code. I suspect that what you're saying is right and that that's not really useful advice for most people and that, unless you're doing something pretty specialized, just "learning to code" in and of itself isn't going to really help your job prospects.

Have people been saying you need to learn how to code - period? It's been placed on a pedestal over the last few years as the be all and end all to working with and understanding computers and technology... silly.

Some people have jobs that involve coding. Other people don't. People in the first group need to know coding, obviously. People in the second group don't. Some people might already have skills and knowledge that would work well with coding type jobs, and such people could add coding to their skills so as to broaden their prospects. But other people might have education and skills that are pointed in a different direction. So whether one should learn to code for the sake of employment, really has to do with what types of jobs one will be looking for.

Myself, I'm interested in learning coding, and basically as much as I can about computer science. I work with people who know a lot of stuff about computers I don't, and that makes me want to know what they know.

Ultimately, the practical skill I would like to work towards is the ability to create apps, programs and web services. There are times when I wish there was a computer program or app or website that did this, this and this, so I'd love to know just what technology is out there and what it's capable of.

In terms of employability--I've met people who have come into their tech careers in the strangest ways, i.e. they had no education in computers, but started working with websites for their own interest or for their workplace. What they had in common was that they were smart, wanted to understand things, and did what they had to do to get the knowledge they wanted. And they just keep learning.

I don't think it is silly at all. A resume or CV with programming experience looks better than one without.

I don't think it is silly at all. A resume or CV with programming experience looks better than one without.

As far as understanding or working with computers goes coding is just the tip of the iceberg. There is so much more to a computer, a program, a website, or anything else than code, and all of that is worthwhile knowledge.

I could say that a number of things make a resume look better, but that doesn't mean they're worth touting as the immediate answer to wanting to work with or understand computers and to adapting to a future filled with new technology. Many websites which teach people the basics of popular languages teach them more fundamental or equally relevant concepts only when needed to progress within the curriculum. Knowing a little Java doesn't mean someone is knowledgeable about computers, and there are so many more jobs out there that involve computers but little to no coding.

I work with computers on the side at my current job and want to be in a specific IT field, and I don't need to even like coding. I would just need the fundamentals and perhaps a little more to help me manage my primary duties. A lot of my early learning has involved numbers and adapting to how computers will "think" and respond, not code. Many people working in IT or CS know and use coding as part of bigger responsibilities, education, or understanding, not as the goal in and of itself.

Last edited:
As far as understanding or working with computers goes coding is just the tip of the iceberg. There is so much more to a computer, a program, a website, or anything else than code, and all of that is worthwhile knowledge.

I could say that a number of things make a resume look better, but that doesn't mean they're worth touting as the immediate answer to wanting to work with or understand computers and to adapting to a future filled with new technology. Many websites which teach people the basics of popular languages teach them more fundamental or equally relevant concepts only when needed to progress within the curriculum. Knowing a little Java doesn't mean someone is knowledgeable about computers, and there are so many more jobs out there that involve computers but little to no coding.

I work with computers on the side at my current job and want to be in a specific IT field, and I don't need to even like coding. I would just need the fundamentals and perhaps a little more to help me manage my primary duties. A lot of my early learning has involved numbers and adapting to how computers will "think" and respond, not code. Many people working in IT or CS know and use coding as part of bigger responsibilities, education, or understanding, not as the goal in and of itself.

You know, I agree with that. Coding isn't going to teach you anything about the underlying electronics involved in computers, nor will it teach anything about algorithms or design.

I think what I'm getting at here is trying to figure out what computer skills there are short of getting an IT/CS degree (and beyond very basic stuff) that are going to be marketable job skills.

I'm laughing at myself because I know absolutely nothing about what you guys are talking about. (What the heck is coding?) :) If I can get around on a computer without it crashing, I consider it a good day. Anyway, what I do know is the economy isn't going to get any better, so whatever you can learn that will make yourself more of an asset to an employer - please do it. (I'd like to tell you all I know about what is expected this year where the economy is concerned, but I don't know how some would handle it.)

It shows you have a rational logical mind and are fairly intelligent. Those are very desirable skills and it demonstrates them. The best part is it's fun!

I think what I'm getting at here is trying to figure out what computer skills there are short of getting an IT/CS degree (and beyond very basic stuff) that are going to be marketable job skills.

You can learn a lot of useful skills like OO programming and web development from a CS degree without learning the less necessary parts like SICP or architecture. These are the skills you are likely to use directly and then can develop intuition for good design. You don't need to get a CS degree.

New Threads

Top Bottom