• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to tell if your child is Autistic?

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
I’ve mentioned before that I have printed out AQ tests and other diagnostic documents on the off-chance that the Autism-deniers get their way and Autism is re-defined as Level-3 Autism; perhaps I’m overreacting here but, better to be safe than sorry, especially with my future kids, I want make extra sure that they know who they are, and what their strengths and weaknesses are. But the AQ tests seem to be directed towards teenagers and some of the other documents have rather advanced terms. Does anyone know of any simple signs to look for in your children to see if their Level-1 Autistic, any simple methods of diagnosing your child without having to turn to the medical bureaucracy?

Two common screening tools for toddlers that are pretty straight forward are

M-CHAT-R/F (Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers) for those 16m-30m.

STAT (Screening Tool for Autism in Toddlers & Young Children) for those 24m-36m.

See Screening Tools - Autism Canada for non-exhaustive list of some other tools and tests.

My daughter could spend hours doing her specialized interests, writing, sewing, gaming, internet. She once watched Wizard of Oz over and over and over in one day at age 2.

We spent hours on a elaborate birthday cake for her when she was a teenager. Cooking was a special interest. I remember when she was a toddler, she wanted to open her birthday gifts over and over, and we would shout happy birthday, we did this at least 10 times. She never fought with me, but l treated her as a mini adult, which l think really helped. She saved a little boy from drowning as a tween with quick thinking.

I only bought comfortable clothes and shoes for her, so l don't think she suffered much from sensory issues.

I’ve mentioned before that I have printed out AQ tests and other diagnostic documents on the off-chance that the Autism-deniers get their way and Autism is re-defined as Level-3 Autism; perhaps I’m overreacting here but, better to be safe than sorry, especially with my future kids, I want make extra sure that they know who they are, and what their strengths and weaknesses are. But the AQ tests seem to be directed towards teenagers and some of the other documents have rather advanced terms. Does anyone know of any simple signs to look for in your children to see if their Level-1 Autistic, any simple methods of diagnosing your child without having to turn to the medical bureaucracy?

Honestly, I know it's not what you want to hear but I think you'll make a great parent by being sure not to overlook the signs; that alone is all you need to do, and that's where most parents drop the ball (or perhaps living in denial because they can't bear to have an autistic child). You'll know when it's time to get them tested, because you'll be with them every step of the way. The fact that you made a thread about your hypothetical future children is proof of that alone.

With that said, nobody can be a perfect parent either, but you won't let that one slip through the cracks.

@Greatshield17 I appreciate your concerns, but I think the only way that "autism deniers" are going to accept this, is perhaps via the "medical model". Up until more recently, we have been stuck with behavioral and psychological descriptions,...and frankly, as we all know,...not all psychologists are equal, nor are their testing methods, and even the DSM is open to "suggestion" and "interpretation".

The autism genome project has mapped out a considerable amount of genetic data, functional neuroimaging studies are filling in the gaps, post mortem brain anatomical studies have been informative,...and there are functional tests that can be done to assess "autism-like" neuromotor functioning as early as 6 months of age (albeit this is not 100% diagnostic at this age). The "medical model" is solidifying with more and more data, nearly every month,...so I don't think we are that far away from being able to finally have the data to obtain a diagnosis very early in life from a multi-disciplinary perspective,...genetics, neurology, and psychology.

If, in the face of all these hardened facts, there are those that still want to maintain their "personal truths", then this falls under the category of "cognitive dissonance" and you really can't have an intelligent conversation with people like that,...they're lost.

Last edited:
Does this distinguish between Level-1 Autism and Levels 2 and 3?

To add to Crossbreed's response, and to provide additional clarity, no single screening test or tool is conclusive on its own.

Most diagnosticians use multiple tools along with any other available details, especially if they can get viewpoints from others (family member, teacher, etc.).

As for the current division between ASD levels 1-3, they reflect levels of need, and let's be honest, that's a bit subjective, especially for those who are borderline between categories.

My diagnosis is ASD1, and on many days, I'm able to do things on my own, with some gentle reminders and support on certain things. But sometimes I have rough days where I can't seem to get anything done and if you were to assess me on one of those days, you'd probably be looking at ASD2.

Totally unscientific but I can always tell when a kid is autistic by watching how they respond to music and/or art. You really can see them drawn in to "their own world" as it has been described even if they don't have special talents in that area. If they are in a social setting with peers especially ones, they know they usually choose to be alone anyway and will often go sit in a corner or out of the way. The motor skills impairment can be a dead giveaway if you see a pattern where they struggle to ride a bike, hit a baseball, dance in a way that isn't socially awkward etc. that isn't a sign simply of a behavioral issue.

New Threads

Top Bottom