• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How-to site for Aspies wanting to live independently?

Would you be interested?

• Yes, I want it!

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • No, I don't need it...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe/undecided.

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Effy

self-advocating autistic
It was a thought I had last year. It would be a blog and contain many things Aspies need to know that aren't automatically taught, and the kinks are still being figured out, but I stopped thinking about it for a while because of one thought: Would it really be wanted? I mean, I imagine some things would be helpful to others, as some of the posts would be about tax preparation and whatnot (and I could get some experts/other Aspies/Aspie bloggers/etc. to weigh in on some things if I needed to), but for the most part, would you guys even want a blog that helped you live independently and focused on that?

It might seem like a lame question, but there are other blogs out there that explain some things, and I don't know if it would truly be helpful at all. It would probably be a little difficult to get some regular contributors to have a few different columns going at first, but I know mine would most likely be about how I'm starting a business on my own so I can work at home, how I plan to do it full-time, and other things I do, such as moving into an apartment. I also plan to get a service dog for my PTSD and a cat just because, so maybe I could talk about that.

The wait for the site would be a bit until it was up and running and ready to go, as I have a blog community I'm moving to XenForo and two new blogs I'm doing, but if there's some need for this one, I could probably have it ready by 2016, or sometime in 2016.

If you would be interested in it, what kind of content would you want for it to have?
Would you be interested in reading stories/updates on the people who are doing things in present-day time (e.g. similar to a personal blog)?

Last edited:
I would most certainly be interested in such a blog! I have struggled all my life with independence and self-care, and now that I have a little bit of income (Medicaid plus the small amount of wages I gather from a part-time job) I know that I could qualify for food stamps and such. I've wanted to move out for a long time, but the prospect is downright terrifying; I think hearing others' success stories and how they got there would be a huge help and inspiration.

It might be an interesting read in general I suppose, not sure how much it would help me personally.

I kinda know what issues I have with living on my own and most of them are money related and that is such a personal matter it's not really something to give pointers in on a blog of sorts (with my income and my expenses, living on my own and moving out seems nigh impossible; and that's not just me saying that. It's even what specialized offices on budget management say; welfare checks just don't suffice for it. In fact, most people on welfare here are kneedeep in debt)

I would most certainly be interested in such a blog! I have struggled all my life with independence and self-care, and now that I have a little bit of income (Medicaid plus the small amount of wages I gather from a part-time job) I know that I could qualify for food stamps and such. I've wanted to move out for a long time, but the prospect is downright terrifying; I think hearing others' success stories and how they got there would be a huge help and inspiration.
As someone who is trying to get ready to move out of my parents house, I would find such a resource very helpful! Like wyverary, I find the idea very frightening, and reading advice from others who have gone before very comforting.

I'm an income tax preparer at my day job, I'll chime in what I can if you want it. I'm also self-employed. While I may not know squat about that whole marketing things, I can teach you how to keep your records so tidy that your tax preparer will be very grateful!

[QUOTE="Effy, blog and contain many things Aspies need to know that aren't automatically taught, I also plan to get a service dog for my PTSD and a cat just because, so maybe I could talk about that.

Would you be interested in reading stories/updates on the people who are doing things in present-day time (e.g. similar to a personal blog)?[/QUOTE]

I think it sounds like a nice idea, there seems to be two directions this could go in, I'm not sure which way you are leaning or if you want to do both. I think the blog idea is a nice start, and people would like hearing stories. But doing some real life skills therapy with younger H/F auties and aspies so they don't suffer as much as we had to would be wonderful. Another option would be traveling training demonstration seminars for parents so they can learn to deal with this stuff better than ours did. But the blog would be a good start one thing at a time. Youtube has allot of stuff that could be useful to you. Good luck:D

It wouldn't be a huge blog/etc. thing. Mostly a collab-like blog with fellow Aspie columnists/guest posters who could post things on it, too. I guess similar to a personal blog, but it would be the stories of Aspies doing things as they happen or explaining things as they happened.

Like, I wouldn't mind learning about what all these insurance terms mean, how to do taxes, etc.

Not so much the conferences. :p I don't do public speaking. Ever. It's a rule. :s :confused::eek:o_O:(

I do like/love the feedback, though! This helps, seriously. c:

It wouldn't be a huge blog/etc. thing. Mostly a collab-like blog with fellow Aspie columnists/guest posters who could post things on it, too. I guess similar to a personal blog, but it would be the stories of Aspies doing things as they happen or explaining things as they happened.

Like, I wouldn't mind learning about what all these insurance terms mean, how to do taxes, etc.

Not so much the conferences. :p I don't do public speaking. Ever. It's a rule. :s :confused::eek:o_O:(

I do like/love the feedback, though! This helps, seriously. c:

Hi Effy sounds good:D but never say never these things have a way of snowballing but you can cross that bridge when you get to it, one thing at a time, perhaps personal coaching would appeal more in the future:confused: ha ha sorry!

Hi Effy sounds good:D but never say never these things have a way of snowballing but you can cross that bridge when you get to it, one thing at a time, perhaps personal coaching would appeal more in the future:confused: ha ha sorry!
It's okie. c: I'm actually starting a consulting-like biz of sorts, but it will be text-based and for web dev stuffs. I'm actually hard of hearing (voices-wise; otherwise, I hear everything and anything) and have a stutter, and these things tend to make public speaking/etc. d-d-difficult :s

I do like the idea, though, and perhaps I could find someone to co-own/operate it with me and do the talking, e.g. my cousin, who's a mom and a mommy blogger.

I, erm, just like the planning and design stuffs. I spend hours on those. >.>

Yes, I would love something like this. My husband takes care of all the financial side of things and a lot of the practical things like cars etc. I struggle with simple things like cleaning and organising the home and I need to make tons of lists and charts and things, and even then it is exhausting. I worry about what would happen to me if anything happened to my husband because I've never been much good at having a job. I don't think the financial tips on the site would help me because I'm in the UK, but living tips would be good.

Also some parenting tips would be nice, or just stories from Aspie parents. There isn't a lot of info around and a lot of it seems to be along the lines of 'your children are doomed', which I can't believe is true.

It's okie. c: I'm actually starting a consulting-like biz of sorts, but it will be text-based and for web dev stuffs. I'm actually hard of hearing (voices-wise; otherwise, I hear everything and anything) and have a stutter, and these things tend to make public speaking/etc. d-d-difficult :s

I do like the idea, though, and perhaps I could find someone to co-own/operate it with me and do the talking, e.g. my cousin, who's a mom and a mommy blogger.

I, erm, just like the planning and design stuffs. I spend hours on those. >.>

Hi Effy I see what you mean speaking might be difficult, blogging and books maybe the best route for you. I have trouble speaking too my brain seems to lock up and start leaking out of my boots in front of crowds. But unlike you I may have little choice the science and books I'm working on are so heavy that if I have any success at all, I'll end up doing some major speaking stuff. So I'm already working working on my first foray into the arena of public humiliation, I'm hoping enough exposure will build up antibodies in me to the stage fright. Perhaps when things pick up you can find a friend or boyfriend to help you with the speaking stuff. You could maybe use 2 ipods with a voice program with clients if you wanted? But you will be busy on research and blog stuff for awhile first. Good luck:D

New Threads

Top Bottom