• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to respect who my Aspie boyfriend is while not putting my own emotional needs last?

Turn-taking, in many cases, isn't really in our neurology. We can get the hang of it a bit, though. Maybe it can help to have a "code word" that has a sweet meaning to him, and use it in instances when you need him to be fully present for you to share something you'd like him to listen to you about. Use it when you really need him to come out of daydreams, out of hyperfocus, out of his own world.
Imagine him feeling more confident, because things won't feel vague to him. He knows he won't mess up by missing something important to you.
Imagine yourself feeling like you have a way for your partner to be present in the moment with you, for those times when you need to share something important with his mind, or special with his heart.
Anyway, best of luck!

PS-- Yes, it can be an Aspie trait to not inquire. His heart may be overflowing with care for you, full of love, compassion, and empathy from what he can read of you. If he wants to be with you, if he does little kindness for you, he's likely trying to bridge a mysterious gap in the best way he knows how. You just may not get the usual info-gathering questions you might expect of your partner. The interest is there.. because he is! :) For a sense of reassurance and fulfillment, you may need to redefine how you consider a man's "showing interest." A cat won't wag it's tail and slurp you when you come home, but purring, head-butting, and leaning into you are all signs. ;) Know?

Last edited:
Harrison -- thank you -- it's good to know it wasn't because you didn't care. And I don't think my guy doesn't care either -- he just doesn't think to ask or doesn't know how to ask.

Warmheart -- good advice (as always!). He does lean in (but no head-butting, which is fine by me :)) whenever I talk. He has to lean down anyway since he's so much taller than me.

I might use something like "I have some big news" or other statement to cue him in to "I have something important to me that I'm going to talk about now". Good idea.

New Threads

Top Bottom