• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to look for an equal partner?

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I am a gay Aspie with a speech impediment. I would love to be a true partner in a monogamous relationship with another geeky gay guy. However, I am very self conscious of how my vocal patterns tend to give people a very poor first impression of who I am, and I do not currently have the funds for speech therapy services.

I am trying not to feel despair over this.

Perhaps I am not ready for a relationship while I am still holding on to this insecurity. I can accept that, even if I do not really want to.

You need to realize that people can love you because of your speech impediment, not despite of it. And I don’t mean fetishized, but well and truly loved. You’re not less of a person for having a speech impediment, and it does nothing to reduce your qualities as a person (which I’m sure you have quite a few of) Plus, some people actually think it’s cute (although I don’t know what type of impediment we’re talking about here)

When I get excited I start talking too fast and develop a mild stutter, which used to make me very self-conscious. I have since realized that my friends and boyfriend actually think it’s cute. It’s annoying sometimes, especially when I want to make a convincing point in an argument and they start to chuckle. But they’re not laughing at me in a malicious way, they’re just amused by how I get so excited I trip up my own words.

And who knows, maybe you’ll run into someone with a similar speech impediment. My boyfriend and I both talk way too fast when excited, so when we’re both excited about something, it’s often impossible for bystanders to follow our conversation. We spend so much time talking that it’s easy for us to understand each other though.

New Threads

Top Bottom