• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to Have a Happy Aspie Christmas - new Autistamatic video

Autistamatic

He's just this guy, you know?
V.I.P Member
It's been a busy old week at Autistamatic Towers and this is a few days later than intended. I went in a completely different direction from my original intention for a Christmas video and I hope you enjoy the result.
I'll quote from the description:
If you have someone in your life who is on the autistic spectrum, there are loads of things you can do to help ensure both they and you have a great time at Christmas. Here's a few ideas to get you started...

I'll do another one of these next year so any ideas people want to share to add to the few I've mentioned, let's hear 'em :) We all have different feelings about Christmas so if there's anything you want Neurotypical people to know about what would make your holidays happier, please share.

I'm sure I'll be around here on Christmas day, but allow myself & Mrs Autistamatic to wish you all the best Christmas time for you and a hopeful New Year.

Thank you - what a lovely Christmas gift for us. :) (And, yes, the sweater was ugly. lol) I wish you and Mrs A a very merry Christmas as well.

Well we started our Christmas proper tonight :)
It's about 8pm here, sat watching the lovely movie "Arthur Christmas" and looking forward to a mince pie with clotted cream later on.
Tomorrow I'm baking a nice maple & mustard gammon joint, Sunday I'll do the sausage rolls and then it's sit back and chill* :)

*And eat gammon, sausage rolls, cheese & pickles, more mince pies, the yummy chocolate cake my wife baked.....

Last edited:
A wonderful explanation of how Christmas feels to us autistics. Thank you. It should be required viewing for all neurotypicals, not just at Christmas; it applies for the entire year. I especially like your editing and production values.

As you stated, this time of year can be especially stressful for us. A suggestion for next year might be something aimed directly to us help make the season better. As somebody with nobody, this time of year gets especially nasty.

Thanks again for this and all your other videos.

Thanks for letting us know. We'll be watching tonight.

I hope you mentioned that anonymous hate mail and packages with no return address and no card, can be especially terrifying to those of us who have severe PTSD, depression, and anxiety from decades of being victims of stalking and bullying and all the other hate crime bestowed on the nuero diverse. When people start sending fruitcake, especially without the yummy cake part or just lots of nuts instead of the regular presents they used to send, it's really cruel and depresssing. Aspies aren't stupid. We know what it means when the gifts are switched from the delicious I love you chocolates and cheeses and sausages to the unwanted you belong in the nut house assortment after the diagnosis comes out.

Thanks for letting us know. We'll be watching tonight.

I hope you mentioned that anonymous hate mail and packages with no return address and no card, can be especially terrifying to those of us who have severe PTSD, depression, and anxiety from decades of being victims of stalking and bullying and all the other hate crime bestowed on the nuero diverse. When people start sending fruitcake, especially without the yummy cake part or just lots of nuts instead of the regular presents they used to send, it's really cruel and depresssing. Aspies aren't stupid. We know what it means when the gifts are switched from the delicious I love you chocolates and cheeses and sausages to the unwanted you belong in the nut house assortment after the diagnosis comes out.

As you probably know by now, no I didn't cover that or anything like it. The video I originally had in mind about the reality of Christmas for some of us on the spectrum would have been dark but I wanted to do something a bit more upbeat and optimistic - in the spirit of building bridges rather than confronting harsh realities. It's Christmas after all, so I changed tack and got it out a few days late as a result.
I will be covering it later though, but at a more neutral time of year. Bullying and intimidation is an important subject in it's own right which deserves the spotlight without the distraction of the holidays as a backdrop as is loneliness and isolation.

I ADORE Brussels sprouts! :D

It takes all sorts :)

My reaction to foods I dislike is, I know, quite extreme compared to most people I have met, but I realise it's a hypersensitivity issue in my case. I'm glad someone likes Brussels Sprouts* for the sake of all the Brussels Sprout farmers who would be out of work otherwise.

*Or "Strong-and-stable-taking-back-control-it's-my-deal-or-no-deal Sprouts" as they are to be called soon....

It takes all sorts :)

My reaction to foods I dislike is, I know, quite extreme compared to most people I have met, but I realise it's a hypersensitivity issue in my case. I'm glad someone likes Brussels Sprouts* for the sake of all the Brussels Sprout farmers who would be out of work otherwise.

*Or "Strong-and-stable-taking-back-control-it's-my-deal-or-no-deal Sprouts" as they are to be called soon....
There is actually a genetic reason why some people like Brussels sprouts and others can't stand them. Some people carry a gene that for a taste receptor that can detect the bitter chemical in Brussels sprouts, others don't have it (about 50%).
The 'brussels sprouts' gene: TAS2R38 | Anna Perman's Genetic Spaghetti

Anyway, they are most definitely on my Christmas menu, I even went out of my way to go to a store that stocks them :)

My wife likes them too :) We usually go out for our Christmas dinner and she's quite happy for me to spoon them on to her plate as soon as it comes ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom