• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to handle my urge to rant/monologue?

Idahocalypse

Ravenpaw
Socializing doesn't satisfy me or fulfill me at all unless I get the opportunity to rant at length about my special interests without being interrupted, or "monologue" as I like to call it. One particularly bothersome aspect of my need to monologue is that I actually get tension headaches if I don't monologue often enough.

Unfortunately, having sat through many of my own dad's monologues, I know from first hand experience that being on the receiving end of someone else's monologue is excruciatingly boring. I don't want to keep subjecting my long-suffering family members to boring lectures about things they don't care about, but on the other hand holding back from doing my monologues is giving me really bad tension headaches, so I feel like I need an outlet for them somehow.

At first I tried to make my monologues more "listener friendly" by turning them into fictional stories, but trying to be a good storyteller has been an exercise in frustration for me and, in turn, has only made my tension headaches even worse.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Perhaps what you want to search for, are people who take pleasure in LISTENING and pretty sure they are out there?

I know a couple of people who allow me to talk, but one said: yes, you do talk alot about your subjects, but I don't mind, because they are interesting lol

I have your issue, with my husband. As soon as he recognises the subject has become an obsession, he cuts me off and actually I feel "oh here I go again" and try to change a word for another one.

This morning ( in France; not French), I was trying to have a conversation about the devestating effects of hurricane irma, but got the "roll eyes" look and I could have stamped my feet in frustration. Because, in fact, all I wanted to say was how seeing all the evacuees, makes me appreciate how little one should evacuate with. It also helps me to think about the kind of things I would need.

I mean: I saw one guy trying to get a booking for a flight and he had about 20 suitcases!

At first, I thought: wow, you are insane to not pay heed to the warning to get out; but in fact, I have changed my mind. Because they show that despite how dreadful irma was, it was not as the media was trying to portray it and thus, know what to do, if irma was to hit France.

I, personally, do not think my "obsessions" are boring; but my husband has this default: obsession equals don't listen to feed her.

Ah well, I have an aspie friend and she feeds my obsessions lol but I guess she would hehehe

Socializing doesn't satisfy me or fulfill me at all unless I get the opportunity to rant at length about my special interests without being interrupted, or "monologue" as I like to call it. One particularly bothersome aspect of my need to monologue is that I actually get tension headaches if I don't monologue often enough.

Unfortunately, having sat through many of my own dad's monologues, I know from first hand experience that being on the receiving end of someone else's monologue is excruciatingly boring. I don't want to keep subjecting my long-suffering family members to boring lectures about things they don't care about, but on the other hand holding back from doing my monologues is giving me really bad tension headaches, so I feel like I need an outlet for them somehow.

At first I tried to make my monologues more "listener friendly" by turning them into fictional stories, but trying to be a good storyteller has been an exercise in frustration for me and, in turn, has only made my tension headaches even worse.

WRITE. Start a blog. I've done, it works.

Talk to yourself. Talk to an imaginary friend. Talk to a teddy bear. My point is verbalize it put loud.

I dont talk much but if we get on the subject of cars (especially race cars) or soil science... I can become this guy who cant shut up... I think its because we fill ourselves with all this knowledge on the stuff we are obsessed with and it has no outlet most often.

When it does get the chance... its like these flood gates open and the next thing you know people are looking at you in horror or running away... Yep this mostly mute guy can get all happy and chatty when we talk cars, but I worry about when to stop! I keep a close watch on how much I am saying... AND I make sure I am listening to them, not ignoring what they are saying.

I also try and remember that just because this is my obsession, its not most other peoples obsession. In most cases I am in a situation to talk about the car, or soil science... So at least its not some out of context rant.

I talk to my car... but it don't say much till race day. : )

Last edited:
I tend to talk to myself alot, it helps sometimes. If I do it too much then I end up just getting tired of talking and I listen more and nod appropriately.

Talk to yourself. Talk to an imaginary friend. Talk to a teddy bear. My point is verbalize it put loud.

I like the idea of talking to imaginary friends. I also like the idea of talking to teddy bears. Goodness knows I have enough of those to fill Santa's entire workshop!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom