• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to Dance in Ohio

tree

Blue/Green
Staff member
V.I.P Member
1702042001646.png

Making something authentic​

Creating characters like Marideth and Drew, who feel true to the autistic actors playing them and to the autistic members of the audience, has been at the forefront of librettist Melocik's mind.

"We really wanted to make sure that the show didn't veer towards being too saccharine or, you know, like, 'Oh, autism is my superpower!'" she said. "That's not the point of our show. It's about showing that, yes, there is struggle, but also there is community and also there is hope and there is joy. And honestly, there is autistic culture to learn about and to respect and to celebrate."

Pearce said it's not only the company of How to Dance in Ohio that celebrates its authenticity.

"Every night at the stage door, every time I go out there," he said, "I talk to so many young autistic people who are coming to see the show...who tell me, 'I have never seen myself represented on the stage the way I just was.'

He said he's excited for even more people to see this story and feel seen and celebrated.

Any way to see it on video? Chances of seeing it in person are miniscule, since:
1 It's in New York (too far away)
2 It's live theater, so crowds.

Trailers, but no show. Bummer. Does mention HBO though. Hmm

The new musical is based on the HBO documentary movie. So far, it looks like I would have to sign up for HBO to watch it.

After watching the trailers, I'm not sure I would
want to see the musical. The characters' voices
and the words they had to say seemed on the
saccharine and obvious side.

I liked the idea that the cast was made up of
autistic people, though.

I saw the documentary. I would highly recommend it if it's available to watch.

I have just seen a review of How to Dance in Ohio that emphasizes that it is about autistics by autistics. Has anybody seen this on Broadway, yet? I am eager for reviews by my community.

New Threads

Top Bottom