• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How To Cope With Bad Emotions?

KevinMao133

Like I said in the introduction, I love reading

But recently however, haven’t really been feel it. Today haven’t been a good day when it comes to reading. In terms of efficiency and feeling well, haven’t been the best

Just wondering: how many experience the same situation?

If yes, how do you plan on or how did you overcome it? Continue reading or simply taking a break? Need some advices, thanks

Sounds like burnout.

Do you have other hobbies? Maybe take a break from reading for a few days or a week and do other things for awhile... come back to it later, refreshed.

Burnout can happen with anything, really.

Taking a break as @Misery said is what I do plus I remind myself, over & over if necessary, “this emotion isn’t going to go on forever.” Otherwise I can slip down into black & white thinking. If stuck in that, it wrecks whatever I’m trying to do.

I just gave someone advice about this type of thing in another thread. :)
I get burned out on reading sometimes too, and making music and art. I take a break until I'm feeling creative and motivated again.

It's interesting that this is coming up now, since I literally just purchased a new book yesterday :) I hadn't been reading much at all for the past few months so I decided to get a new book that I knew would capture my attention. My main special interest is dogs, and animal biology in general, so I bought a dog encyclopedia that has a profile of every single dog breed, and lots of chapters on their behavior, evolution, psychology, breeding, training, and veterinary science. It's fascinating. I read through a few chapters last night and I'm going to pick it up again in a bit after breakfast and chores.
I've always been a huge fan of nonfiction, research, and studying. So I tend to get really interested in books that I can learn from.
Maybe try buying a new book :) Something that's a little different and will make you want to learn and pay attention to it. Sometimes I also put music on in the background when I'm reading or writing and it helps with focus.

And it's really great to support small and independent bookstores :) My new book is really good quality with a lot of information and is hundreds of pages long, and I got it for $4 from a used bookstore :)

Oh, and I asked a lot of friends and family to get me books for Christmas too! I described the kind of thing I'm interested in and asked them to look for something in those genres. I asked for some drawing and painting instruction books too to help keep up with my interest in making art :)

There were some things I read that made me feel depressed. Particularly Twain and his stories like "The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg."

I have a book in mortgage exams to process mortgages. Kinda of bizarre yet interesting. Like how they try to deal with fake IDs, questionable income.

Like I said in the introduction, I love reading

But recently however, haven’t really been feel it. Today haven’t been a good day when it comes to reading. In terms of efficiency and feeling well, haven’t been the best

Just wondering: how many experience the same situation?

If yes, how do you plan on or how did you overcome it? Continue reading or simply taking a break? Need some advices, thanks
During my early teen years I used to read anything I could get my hands on. I preferred novels, mostly fantasy, crime and science-fiction. I did read a book of 500 pages within a day if I could manage to do so.
Now, I read less and it's almost exclusively nonfiction (Essays, scientific articles, encyclopedias on subjects that interest me and cookbooks. I also collect recipes like a maniac.)
I still read some fanfiction although it's only about one character of a specific genre and nothing else.
To sum it up, I've become very picky with reading materials over the years. When I was a kid, anything with letters on it could pike my interest.
My advice would be to do as you please.

New Threads

Top Bottom