• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to cope with AS?

Kate McG

Hi,
I have recently been diagnosed with AS and I'm finding it very overwhelming. I am unsure how to manage my stress levels day to day and how to stop a meltdown when it's coming. I do not know how to recognise it and what kind of coping strategies that might help me as I am still learning how AS affects me.
I really would appreciate any advice as I am just feeling like the most horrible wife and mother. And that's not helping things.
Many thanks.

Kate McG I feel for you, it is never easy but it doesn't need to be terrible either.

Everyone is different so beyond the feeling of tension, confusion, too much hitting you all at once and needing it all to stop, I can't tell you specifically what you might feel or notice about yourself right before a meltdown but, that fight or flight feeling is usually a good indicator that it's probably too late to stop it.

Finding time to de-stress, to be in a safe, soothing, relaxing place, even for just a few minutes at a time is a big help. As a wife and mother, you have two full time jobs right there. It isn't easy to make time for yourself but, to be your best for your family, you need to be at your best and, that means you have got to take care of you. De-stressing, having your alone time to just relax, or pursue your interests is vital, make time for it, even five minutes a day helps.

Don't beat yourself up over having meltdowns and shutdowns, it happens and, you're new to learning to recognize them. You will learn coping and relaxing techniques that work for you so, be patient with yourself. DO make sure your family understands that shutdowns are not you ignoring them intentionally, just you processing and trying to avoid a meltdown. Make sure they know a meltdown may look and sound like you are angry with them but, that isn't what it means, it's your mind's only way of releasing that much overloaded anxiety energy soon fast enough to preserve your sanity and, ability to function, not an attack toward them at all, just venting AS style.

That helps more than anything, when they understand and don't get upset with you, or blame you for what is beyond your control. We can learn to manage and reduce shutdowns and meltdowns but, we can't eliminate them entirely, they will happen and, there is nothing we can do about that. Yes as you learn better coping techniques and, learn to read yourself better to know when you need to take a time out and isolate, they become less frequent but, they are never completely gone. We can't control everything that happens in our lives and, sometimes the demand of living are going to push us beyond our limits and, our minds will short circuit for a bit. Accept that as part of who you are, not a good or bad thing, simply how it is for you and, it's a lot easier to quit stressing about being stressed.

Hi Beverly,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely reply.That made me cry! ;)
It just makes me feel awful that I have a day at work, where my husband has cared for the baby all day and I get home and I need more time alone... I stress most about things I should be able to do, when actually I need time to process. I beat myself up terribly for not coping.
But I'm sure my husband would rather me have 30 mins offloading on my own than a whole night dedicated to a meltdown....
I get the fight feeling, not flight unfortunately. I pick a fight and that makes my husband feel attacked and hurt.
I wish I could identify the signs but it can go from feeling great to attack in moments. That's the moment I need to try to identify...
Thank you so much.

I know exactly what you mean. hyped up, feeling as if you are still full of energy and ready to go one moment, then some little sight, sound or just the unintentional tone is someone's voice happens and all of that energy from a moment agon goes into a meltdown that, to an observer, looks like a major rage fit or temper tantrum.

That's where we need ot use our logic, it's been a long day at work, you've done a lot, dealt with a lot of people and, logically should be tired but, you don't feel tired. For me that sets of a red warning light, that isn't right and, the only logical reason for that energy is anxiety energy, the stuff that causes a meltdown. So instead of using that energy, or trying to use it to keep going, and thus being out and about with my family or frined when that one last bit of slightly annoying or bothersome input comes along, thus setting off a meltdown, I know I need to go soak in a warm bath, put my iPod on and cook (cooking is relaxing to me) or, go into the studio (I have a small in home studio) and jam for half an hour to an hour until I feel tired like I should.

And yes, that pre meltdown high feels great, but, the crash is horrid if you miss it and don't bring yourself down peacefully. I know it ins't easy to think being full of energy is a bad thing, but, you need to look at when you are feeling full of energy, and, if you know you should be tired instead, odds ae you're getting close to a meltdown, time to process and decompress before all of that energy explodes toward family or friends, or co-workers.

Took me years to learn to recognize it, and know when being hyped up was bad news for me if I didn't get myself down off that energy ASAP but, I finally got it. Not that life doesn't make taking a time out impossible now and then, and thus I have a meltdown but, at least I know it's coming and, can warn those close to me that know I'm an Aspie that whatever we have to do isn't going to end pretty for me so, as soon as we get out of public view, stay clear unless you want whatever I might be throwing hitting you. (I tend to throw things, big heavy things most of the time, like guitars, amps, chairs, cast iron cookware, a marble dragon statue once- right through a posh hotel room window.)

Try to explain it to your family and, take that 30 minutes and, if cooking is relaxing to you, all the better, just tell them to stay out of the kitchen while you cook either dinner or dessert. Still productive but, you get time to process and decompress too. :)

Last edited:
That's exactly how it felt tonight!! I thought I feel great,i can carry on! But I had the biggest meltdown I've ever had. I want to throw things, but I know I can't because of my son, so I end up hurting myself by squeezing the object so hard I get bruises and hitting myself in the head with it to release the tension.
Thank you for describing how you feel, because I feel exactly the same. A bath is my cure all... I go under the water for ages to shut out sensory input. I should have done this tonight. But now I know...
And I can see it's a process and I won't always catch myself every time, but I can try.
You really ready have helped. I'm so grateful. Xx

I'm glad my experiences could help you. You might want to get some earplugs to use in the bath and, a bath pillow, make the bath more relaxing and comfortable, thus more effective. :)

+1 on the bath. That's my escape. I run a bath with some radox or some of my partners bath oils. Sometimes I just watch the water flowing into the tub, find water flowing soothing. Sometimes have a book and lay in bath, other times lay in darkness and do breathing exercises whilst listening to my heartbeat, helps to relax and let's the brain/mind have a rest.

Never be ashamed of yourself, we are all beautiful in our own little way.

Highly recommend breathing exercises at work, if feeling off, nip the toilet for 5, do some breathing exercises.

Overthehills, thank you so much for your reply. Yes I think I need to do this at work because taking time out, I think, would actually reset me.
I really appreciate your help. Xx

As far as how it effects others, resist acting rashly. Take time to think things thru and let it work out clearly in your brain, before you say or do anything negatively. (This often means waiting till the next day.) Many times it will be a over-reaction due to the combo of Aspergers and emotions. But you want your reactions to be reasonable and fair to those closest to you.

As far as how to protect yourself, you need to find or make little strategies that you can use in various situations. Often times they are things that will reduce outside over-stimulus, but are somewhat disguised so as not to be obvious and draw even worse unwanted attention. (ie, bring a book or Ipod for an appointment waiting room rather then tie a pillow over your ears).

My main coping tool are my model trains or watching real trains. I have been obsessed with trains since I was a very young boy. I wasn't diagnosed till I was almost 41. So the trains were my escape from a world I didn't understand or was unable to cope with. When I cant run my trains, or afford to take a drive up to where the real ones run, I watch them on the computer or on the TV. When I get near the point of a meltdown/shutdown, if at home I try to get back to bed and wrap myself in my weighted blanket. It has a huge calming effect on me, enables me to sleep thru the night and is worth the expense that it was to buy. If at work, I take a walk outside or away from the lawn mower that is the source of my frustration. Everybody there knows I am Aspie and will help me if I get overwhelmed. Meltdowns and shutdowns still happen, I cannot catch or escape all of them, but with the help of my therapist, they are not the violent ones I used to have. But with the winter blues and my income level at the lowest level of the year, the shutdowns and the suicidal thougths are more common for me, and that is very scary. I have never attempted it, but the thoughts do come from time to time. Once I have processed it, I talk to my wife or therapist and we process it more together and learn from it. Learning about yourself, what bothers you, what causes stress or anxiety and trying to minimize that. Learning the signs that your near your limits and stepping away. Developing a network of support, from informed friends/family to other interventions if need be. I tend to become mute or unable to speak when in shutdown or meltdowns. So I wear a bracelet that shows I am autistic and refers someone to my card in my wallet, it has that I have asthma, alergic to asprin and bee stings, my wife's cell number and contact info for my therapist. I feel safer knowing that bracelet is on my wrist, so that in and of itself is a calming tool. I do not hide that I am autistic, I am not ashamed of it and if others do not like it, that is thier personal problem. I accept who I am, and so does my wife and those that care for me. Mike

Mike. Thank you for your detailed advice. Your advice is clearly based on experience and has been hard earned. Some really thought provoking points, and my experience is similar to yours with my thoughts and shutdowns. I will invest in a blanket as I know I like pressure.
And you're right, anyone's problem with ASD is very much their problem. I do worry about it. Thank you, so much.

Just a heads up, weighted blankets are not cheap, mine was just over $200 with shipping, weights 18lbs. That just over the middle of the range of recommended weight. The location I got mine from, mosaic weighted blankets, recommended 5-10% of your body weight plus 2 lbs. At 10%+2lbs mine would have been 22lbs. I didn't want it to heavy when we have the winter blankets on the bed. Mike

Hi Mike. Thank you. Yes the one I'm thinking about getting is £120. I'm not sure about weight, but the maker advised what most women have and your estimate was her advice too. I'll invest I think as I know it's a great trick to have in my bag. Thank you. Xx

If you're having meltdowns as an adult, you have too much stress in your life. It's so easy to just say "you need to get rid of some of that stress" but rarely is it so simple in practice. Try establishing a time, perhaps after you get home from work, that for 30 minutes nobody talks to you, nobody bothers you, unless nuclear war is breaking out you are not to be disturbed and spend that time alone in a dimly lit, quiet area where you feel comfortable. Coping with AS isn't easy but something like that might make a world of difference.

New Threads

Top Bottom