• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How many of you have older parents?

My mom was 39 when I was born. I can't remember how old my dad was, but he was roughly the same age. So yeah.

...Born in 1960, a first-born, my mother and father, respectively, were 33 and 35, quite old for that period.
My mother developed lung cancer and died at 61, early 1988. My father lived to 74, dying in early 1999.

I have heard the same things about older parents being more likely to have children on the spectrum. My Mom was 35 and my dad was 32 when I was born. I was 25 when my mom passed away and was 30 when my dad died. I only knew one grandmother who died when I was 11 and we weren't that close. I felt (and still feel) the same way you do.

More backstory: I have 3 other siblings, my sister is 15 years older. My oldest brother (deceased) was 18 years older. My older brother is 4 years older. My parents didn't get along with the oldest 2 siblings, so I never got a chance to know them too well. We didn't find out about my second brother until I was 49 as my parents kept him a secret from us all.

I only ask that because I've heard that older parents are more likely than younger parents to have children with Asperger's/Autism

Because... My parents did not meet each other until mom was 32 and dad was 40 and they had four children after that... I was born 10 years into the marriage, so mom was 42 and dad was 50, definitely older parents

One reality of my life was that I wasn't going to have my parents for very long compared to most of my friends... My mom was 64 when she passed away from ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease, so she died fairly young, and I was 24... My dad lasted until the age of 83 before he passed away, but I was only 33, when other people I know have their parents alive for most of their life

And to make a long story very short, all of my grandparents died long before I was even born

That's my family! Plus three other siblings too

Both of my parents were about 28 years old when I was born. My brother was born when they were about 21 though (he's a classic NT, one of the reasons we never got along).

My parents were around 20 when I was born. I was 6 weeks early so it could have contributed to my problem, but I'm pretty sure my mom was an aspie and her mom too.

I think there is some truth to this, though it does seem to run in families.

My father is 63 and somewhat Aspie tbh.

...My father was an only child, his father, after whom I am named, had some mysterious to me, and supposedly my father, near-total seperation from his family (New England and Northeast) that had Grandpa Nomad living in Central Texas, and that led to me never ever having, as I recall, contact with any Nomad after my father's mother died when I was four or so. He died whilst my mother was PG with me. No known face-to-face with any Grandma Nomads either.

Why I had never thought about this before, but I do indeed see a possible trend in what you are talking about. My mother was 34 and my father was 33. While the information on this thread is far from conclusive evidence, it could be an interesting topic for further research.

My mum was 37 and my dad 35 when I was born. They're both neurotypical though one of my uncles has a lot of Asperger traits (but undiagnosed).

...My father was an only child, his father, after whom I am named, had some mysterious to me, and supposedly my father, near-total seperation from his family (New England and Northeast) that had Grandpa Nomad living in Central Texas, and that led to me never ever having, as I recall, contact with any Nomad after my father's mother died when I was four or so. He died whilst my mother was PG with me. No known face-to-face with any Grandma Nomads either.

I was trying to find my posts and I tried entering " Nomad ", only getting this, as far as finding my posts. I really can't find my.postd!!!!!!!!! At least, perhaps on the trunducated version offered on my phone, you cannot find your former posts, you cannot look them up!:( This is an omission. However, I did find this post of mine
However, I don't see why I said I had " no known face-to-face " with Grandma Nomad:confused:. She lived with us, in our then-home in White Plains, NY, after she gave up her home in Alamo Heights, TX, after Grandpa's death. Then she moved to an old-age home there, and I do remember visiting her there. I did not remember her living with us in White Plains, however!:eek: She was 4, I guess, when she died and I remember about nothing before I was five-and-a-half or so. I was surprised when, late in his life, my father recalled her living with us. I commented that it must have been a shock to her, going to a different part of the country with a far different climate. My father said " I know, I know! But there was nothing else that we could do. ".

I was trying to find my posts and I tried entering " Nomad ", only getting this, as far as finding my posts. I really can't find my.postd!!!!!!!!! At least, perhaps on the trunducated version offered on my phone, you cannot find your former posts, you cannot look them up!:( This is an omission. However, I did find this post of mine
However, I don't see why I said I had " no known face-to-face " with Grandma Nomad:confused:. She lived with us, in our then-home in White Plains, NY, after she gave up her home in Alamo Heights, TX, after Grandpa's death. Then she moved to an old-age home there, and I do remember visiting her there. I did not remember her living with us in White Plains, however!:eek: She was 4, I guess, when she died and I remember about nothing before I was five-and-a-half or so. I was surprised when, late in his life, my father recalled her living with us. I commented that it must have been a shock to her, going to a different part of the country with a far different climate. My father said " I know, I know! But there was nothing else that we could do. ".
All of your former posts still exist.
You need to look them up from your profile page, or search using SteveNomad instead of just Nomad

My dad was in his 40's when I was born so that's probably why I have ASD.

You shouldn't have kids past 39.

Very young. But wasn't regarded as very young back in the day. Was considered the norm.

A s.i.l of mine had her first child just shy of 40 and was noted as a "geriatric mother"
she felt wounded.

I believe the terminology is slowly changing to "advanced maternal age"
even that infers a delay of sorts.

My mum was 40, my dad 38. And my dad shows suspicious traits himself.

I only ask that because I've heard that older parents are more likely than younger parents to have children with Asperger's/Autism

Because... My parents did not meet each other until mom was 32 and dad was 40 and they had four children after that... I was born 10 years into the marriage, so mom was 42 and dad was 50, definitely older parents

One reality of my life was that I wasn't going to have my parents for very long compared to most of my friends... My mom was 64 when she passed away from ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease, so she died fairly young, and I was 24... My dad lasted until the age of 83 before he passed away, but I was only 33, when other people I know have their parents alive for most of their life

And to make a long story very short, all of my grandparents died long before I was even born

That's my family! Plus three other siblings too

My Mom was 30 and Dad was 36. I was an only child.
Mom had a serious illness in her third trimester. High fever, lots of IV antibiotics and unconcious at times.

New Threads

Top Bottom