1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured How many of you have older parents?

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Sherlock77, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Sherlock77

Sherlock77 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I only ask that because I've heard that older parents are more likely than younger parents to have children with Asperger's/Autism

Because... My parents did not meet each other until mom was 32 and dad was 40 and they had four children after that... I was born 10 years into the marriage, so mom was 42 and dad was 50, definitely older parents

One reality of my life was that I wasn't going to have my parents for very long compared to most of my friends... My mom was 64 when she passed away from ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease, so she died fairly young, and I was 24... My dad lasted until the age of 83 before he passed away, but I was only 33, when other people I know have their parents alive for most of their life

And to make a long story very short, all of my grandparents died long before I was even born

That's my family! Plus three other siblings too

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Jorg

Jorg Well-Known Member

Well, I am the youger son, and I was born when my mother was 38yo and my dad 35yo

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alexej

Alexej Member

my father was 37 and my mother 27 when I was born.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

My parents were mid 30s. I remember noticing in the playground how young some parents looked, compared to mine. My mum's parents were quite young in comparison, but think my dad's mum was older than she was recorded to be, and over 30 when he was born, he was the 5th child, and his family are where the autistic traits are I think.

5. SusanLR

SusanLR Well-Known Member

This is a topic I've been thinking about. Didn't know studies show we have older parents, but,
    I've noticed the people here and the ones I know seemed to have parents that were 30+ when they
    were born.

My Mom was 30 and had a very difficult pregnancy. Ill with pneumonia and semi comatose with a high
    fever in the third trimester, plus a month late giving birth and a dry birth.
    My Dad was 36.
    This isn't as old as some, but, it isn't young either and I knew they probably would die long before
    I was prepared. I was never prepared. They were both 86 when they died.

6. Nitro

Nitro Admin/Immoral Turpitude Staff Member Admin V.I.P Member

Mom:18 passed at age 60
    Dad:19 still kickin' at 78

• Like Like x 1
  7. NothingToSeeHere

NothingToSeeHere Asexuowl V.I.P Member

My Dad was 45 and my Mum 35 when I was born. Both still going 30 years later.

8. Wolf Prince

Wolf Prince My future job title.

Both were under twenty when i was born.

9. Dadwith2Autisticsons

Dadwith2Autisticsons Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I was 43 and my wife was 27 when our first was born. Then I was 46 and she 30 for our second child, so I always thought age possibly played a factor too, from what I researched after the fact.

If not that older age, as a possible cause, then I wondered if formaldehyde was a factor, as we had moved into a brand new home days after our first was born. We had that same home when our second was born about 31 months later.

10. WildCat

WildCat and his scatterbrain V.I.P Member

The opposite: mother was 14 and father was 18. Both are still well and alive at 46 and 50. If age didn't play a factor, I have no clue at this time. It could be a combination of things.

11. Bolletje

Bolletje Potato chip wizard V.I.P Member

My parents were in their late 20's when they had me. Undiagnosed HFA runs in my family on both sides though, so I'm not that surprised I turned out to be an Aspie :)

12. Pats

Pats Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

When I first read the thread title I was going to try to be funny and say everyone's parents are older. But then I read what you wrote and I'm especially sorry that your mom died from Lou Gehrigs disease. That had to be really hard for you and the family. I've always felt kind of bad for those who do have older parents because the very reasons you mentioned - watching your parents age and become sick when you're still so young and you don't have as much lifetime to spend with your parents.
    I know, when older women have babies, there's more chance of anything going wrong with the pregnancy or with the baby, and it would make since to also increase the risk of the brain developing differently.

• Like Like x 2
  13. jared mills

jared mills Rookie

my mother was 21 when she had me & she had my brother when she was 25.

14. tducey

tducey Well-Known Member

Dad was 27 and Mom was 1 month away from turning 24 when I was born.

15. BrokenBoy

BrokenBoy 戯言使い(Nonsense User)

My parents were 16 years apart in age. They were together for over 20 years.

16. SimplyWandering

SimplyWandering Well-Known Member

My dad was 25 years older than my mom. He passed away in 2012. Things have never been the same since his passing :(. He was 61 years old when I was born.

“Grandpa”as kids called him... was a difficult one in life and I guess I didn’t realize how important he was until he passed.

17. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Both parents were relatively young when I was born, middle twenties.

18. Streetwise

Streetwise very cautious contributor V.I.P Member

mam was 25 ,biological father 24 ,she died at 54 from pbp and ALS ,She was always weak physically .

19. Sherlock77

Sherlock77 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

It appears I have second oldest parents... :)

But I definitely recall hearing about a higher chance of Austism with much older moms, and I have often wondered given that I'm in that situation

20. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

There have been some studies done in the last few years, some of which are inconclusive as to parental ages of both males and females. The more studies, the better.

Do autism-related personality traits explain higher paternal age in autism?
    Do autism-related personality traits explain higher paternal age in autism?
    The Age Gauge: Older Fathers Having Children:
    The Age Gauge: Older Fathers Having Children
    Parents' age and the risk for autism and schizophrenia: Is the connection real?
    Parents' age and the risk for autism and schizophrenia: Is the connection real?