• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How many of you have older parents?

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I only ask that because I've heard that older parents are more likely than younger parents to have children with Asperger's/Autism

Because... My parents did not meet each other until mom was 32 and dad was 40 and they had four children after that... I was born 10 years into the marriage, so mom was 42 and dad was 50, definitely older parents

One reality of my life was that I wasn't going to have my parents for very long compared to most of my friends... My mom was 64 when she passed away from ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease, so she died fairly young, and I was 24... My dad lasted until the age of 83 before he passed away, but I was only 33, when other people I know have their parents alive for most of their life

And to make a long story very short, all of my grandparents died long before I was even born

That's my family! Plus three other siblings too

My parents were mid 30s. I remember noticing in the playground how young some parents looked, compared to mine. My mum's parents were quite young in comparison, but think my dad's mum was older than she was recorded to be, and over 30 when he was born, he was the 5th child, and his family are where the autistic traits are I think.

This is a topic I've been thinking about. Didn't know studies show we have older parents, but,
I've noticed the people here and the ones I know seemed to have parents that were 30+ when they
were born.

My Mom was 30 and had a very difficult pregnancy. Ill with pneumonia and semi comatose with a high
fever in the third trimester, plus a month late giving birth and a dry birth.
My Dad was 36.
This isn't as old as some, but, it isn't young either and I knew they probably would die long before
I was prepared. I was never prepared. They were both 86 when they died.

I was 43 and my wife was 27 when our first was born. Then I was 46 and she 30 for our second child, so I always thought age possibly played a factor too, from what I researched after the fact.

If not that older age, as a possible cause, then I wondered if formaldehyde was a factor, as we had moved into a brand new home days after our first was born. We had that same home when our second was born about 31 months later.

The opposite: mother was 14 and father was 18. Both are still well and alive at 46 and 50. If age didn't play a factor, I have no clue at this time. It could be a combination of things.

My parents were in their late 20's when they had me. Undiagnosed HFA runs in my family on both sides though, so I'm not that surprised I turned out to be an Aspie :)

When I first read the thread title I was going to try to be funny and say everyone's parents are older. But then I read what you wrote and I'm especially sorry that your mom died from Lou Gehrigs disease. That had to be really hard for you and the family. I've always felt kind of bad for those who do have older parents because the very reasons you mentioned - watching your parents age and become sick when you're still so young and you don't have as much lifetime to spend with your parents.
I know, when older women have babies, there's more chance of anything going wrong with the pregnancy or with the baby, and it would make since to also increase the risk of the brain developing differently.

My dad was 25 years older than my mom. He passed away in 2012. Things have never been the same since his passing :(. He was 61 years old when I was born.

“Grandpa”as kids called him... was a difficult one in life and I guess I didn’t realize how important he was until he passed.

mam was 25 ,biological father 24 ,she died at 54 from pbp and ALS ,She was always weak physically .

It appears I have second oldest parents... :)

But I definitely recall hearing about a higher chance of Austism with much older moms, and I have often wondered given that I'm in that situation

New Threads

Top Bottom