• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How long did it take for you to accept you were autistic?

I was surprised at first but accepted it quickly. I knew something was different about me. So when I was diagnosed I was relieved to know why and know there was a reason.

It's not just on that particular forum, judging by the behaviour of other Americans towards me on YouTube, most of the ones I've seen online are clearly less than intelligent IMO, look who they voted in as their President recently?!

Honestly Rich, you must know that YouTube is haven for trolls from just about every country with an english or spanish or french or german (the list goes on) speaking populace, try not to give them any more time in your head if you can. I am sorry they used the 'R' word though, that was cruel and wounding. You know you are not, and everyone here knows as well that you are not that. You're entitled to your views but you probably shouldn't paint an entire country with the same brush.

Last edited:
I was diagnosed 4 years ago at the age of 43. I always knew I was different and grew up with depression, social anxiety. I was upset when I received me diagnosis cos it made me feel like a failure cos I'm diagnosed as different from everyone else, which is what I already knew. Tbh I still find it hard knowing I have Aspergers, because I still have difficulty accepting my difference from others and I do feel "less".

Here in the US, they've changed the diagnosing manual for physicians to include Asperger's as part of autism, which is a double-edged sword. Saying you have Asperger's is one thing, saying you have autism is entirely different...people see autism as being something awful, while Asperger's is being 'peculiar' or 'wierd' but not 'autistic'. However - for children in school, it's important for them to get access to needed resources and the change makes that easier because autism is a federally recognized disability, and including Asperger's can get children help they couldn't access before.

Very interesting. At first, I was pretty clumsy when I said I had aspergers, because I felt a fraud, despite knowing deep inside I do and so, because of how clumsy I felt and well, taking on board their confusion, in case they did not know about aspergers I would stupidly say: well it is similar to autism and would not be able to carry on the conversation, because they would say: are you sure, you do not look at all autisic and I would get an incredulous look, which in turn made me feel awful and deeply embarrassed. But now, things are better, because I know that I have aspergers and just wait til the time I can get official.

Very interesting. At first, I was pretty clumsy when I said I had aspergers, because I felt a fraud, despite knowing deep inside I do and so, because of how clumsy I felt and well, taking on board their confusion, in case they did not know about aspergers I would stupidly say: well it is similar to autism and would not be able to carry on the conversation, because they would say: are you sure, you do not look at all autisic and I would get an incredulous look, which in turn made me feel awful and deeply embarrassed. But now, things are better, because I know that I have aspergers and just wait til the time I can get official.
I have a question. What exactly do true autistic people look like?

I have a question. What exactly do true autistic people look like?

They look perfectly, for want of a better word, "normal" in most cases.

Some people though, without being horrible, you can tell they have a mental disability.

I was greatly relieved when the pieces all fell together. I did some research on the characteristics and immediately accepted it. For decades I'd wondered if I was insane or going mad or countless other explanations. Once I learned about Asperger's, my childhood and adult patterns all made sense.

Rich, if you are implying that you can actually verbally tell people they have a mental disorder without sounding cruel, I'd like to know how you do it. If you are trying to say that you can recognize someone with a mental disorder, perhaps you should consider rewording your post.

I'm older than average and was officially diagnosed as HFA when I was 39. It gave me a sense of relief because I was so different in most ways than other people and I just thought I was weird (or worse).

My old psychiatrist says I have Asperger's, my new psychiatrist says I have Asperger's, my social worker says I have Asperger's, my mum says I have Asperger's. I've spent nearly every day for the last year and a half reading about it since they told me hearing people's experiences, trying to connect to people with it, and even going as far as listing down examples of how I think it affects me. And I still can't come to terms with it. Sometimes I think I'm just lazy because I have no motivation in life. What do I need to do?

I've asked my social worker if I could have some sort of report written on paper on why they think I have it because I don't know what I'm putting out there to make them think that. He said they'll talk about it at our next appointment.

Can anybody relate to this? Or am I alone with this like always?
I never really accepted im autistic i just knew i was autistic from the diagnosis. I think you should find hobbys or things that you like to do to where you have daily motivation. Good Luck on what they talk about and what they decide for you :)

I had a problem with it for one reason. when I was diagnosed "experts" were still saying that autistics lack empathy while I have maybe too much empathy. that was my only issue. other than that it was nice to know WHY i was so different from everyone else

It took a couple of days, for the full effect to really hit me. The diagnosis was a huge relief, because I finally knew I wasn't losing my mind. But afterward, I got stuck with the following question: "What do I do now?"

I became aware of my possible diagnosis about 16 months ago, after tons of self research I was convinced that I likely has Aspergers. I sought out professional help shortly after and was officially diagnosed with ASD Lvl 1, which he said I would have been diagnosed with Aspergers before the DSM change. After my diagnosis I went through many stages of pain,healing, acceptance Etc. I would say after about a year and a bit I started to feel normal again. And by normal, I mean how I felt before I found out about my Aspergers. I am very open about who I am and why I am what I am, but I still face challenges every day and life continues to be very difficult. I feel as if the older I become, the easier and harder life becomes for me. I am currently 28.

My old psychiatrist says I have Asperger's, my new psychiatrist says I have Asperger's, my social worker says I have Asperger's, my mum says I have Asperger's. I've spent nearly every day for the last year and a half reading about it since they told me hearing people's experiences, trying to connect to people with it, and even going as far as listing down examples of how I think it affects me. And I still can't come to terms with it. Sometimes I think I'm just lazy because I have no motivation in life. What do I need to do?

I've asked my social worker if I could have some sort of report written on paper on why they think I have it because I don't know what I'm putting out there to make them think that. He said they'll talk about it at our next appointment.

Can anybody relate to this? Or am I alone with this like always?

It took me 1 year to accept it, I shrugged it off when first diagnosed because all I could focus on was my depression and anxiety along with the fact my life was in the dumps. Now, life is getting better the more I learn about autism and the many way it manifests itself in my life.

A very long time, more than ten years at least, I grew up going from broken home to broken home and went through bullying and stigmatization so I figured that was the cause of my aspie-symptoms. But I've come to realize it's more of a combination of experiences and Asperger's.

I have lived as a neurotypical up to the age of 33. Despite knowing I was odd, I was unable to determine why. And when others saw me struggling, they almost universally assumed that I wasn't trying as hard. I convinced myself of that. I lived my life trying way harder and succeeding way less, unable to get anyone to empathize with my difficulties. I actually had determined at some point that I didn't have autism based on a description I had read. In fact I've read lots of descriptions and they are so often different, and evolving over time so much, that it seems like maybe the majority of people with an autism spectrum disorder go unnoticed because they don't fit the bill as described. Getting NTs and therapists to properly understand the condition will go a long way toward getting higher diagnosis rates.

New Threads

Top Bottom