• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How does it make you feel when people deny that you have autism?

SimplyWandering

So I am sure everyone has dealt with being diagnosed (or self diagnosed) with ASD and then being questioned by friends/family and told that you are either faking it or lying or that you " don't seem autistic"

How does that make you feel?

At the same time do you use the diagnosis as a a crutch intentionally or feel that you do ( For example: "I can't do those things, i have autism") ?

I've learned very quickly not to disclose such a thing to just anyone. Though I must say for the tiny number of persons in my orbit who know, to my knowledge none of them outright denies my being on the spectrum.

However my nearest relative constantly marginalizes autism in general if I make the mistake of mentioning it in the course of any conversation. Which to me is almost as bad. :mad:

I've heard it most of my life honestly. People can deny it all they want, in return they will be denied the privilege of being in my life.

I don't use it as a crutch or use it to make excuses (I know someone who does just that), but I do remind myself and others at times that I behave in certain ways because of it.

Like then what am I? Crazy? That is what one shrink said. I am just nuts . But he was totally crazy AND MEAN. at least I am not mean.

I.. generally avoid admitting that I am on spectrum. I don't do it to deny the fact.. I suppose I do it so that I have no excuses.. I know what & how I am meant to be & how to be, so really I have no need to get het up about not hitting the mark every time. Then trough repetition the effort & angst disappeared.. lol... not easy damn it it was not easy. But I am damned if I am going to sit on my arse & use escuses all day for not thinking & helping to love my fellow friends.

I haven't been told by anyone that they don't think I'm on the spectrum, but I avoid telling people about it because I don't want to be prejudged or compared to media stereotypes of autism.

I try not to let it affect my life and go about my life just as before, just as anyone else would - having Asperger's is a reason why I tried and failed some things, why things might be difficult or why I'm not so good at some things that others take for granted, and not a reason not to try in the first place. It is an explanation and not an excuse.

New Threads

Top Bottom