• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you watch movies at home?

How do you watch movies at home?

• Streaming media

Votes: 21 77.8%

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • BluRay

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • DVD

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • HD-DVD

• DivX because I hate having money in my wallet and I wanted to invest in a horrible Circuit City gig

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • VHS

• Laserdisc

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Betamax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
These days mostly through Roku networks. Though I have quite a selection of DVDs as well. With a dual recliner to watch my modest widescreen tv in 1080p.

With cable tv taking up the rear these days.....

When I was a kid, I had my own TV and DVD player. I loved watching Disney movies all the time. At one point, I owned every Disney movie. Sometimes, I would watch a movie so much that I would burn the disk till it didn’t work anymore. Disney movies helped me have a creative and strong imagination. Nowadays, I steam movies that I want to watch.

I stream everything. When I lived at my parents' house, I still had a DVD player and even a VHS player, but I didn't bring them when I moved because they still used them.

I'm a firm believer in the superiority of physical media over streaming, so most movies I watch at home are ones I either buy on DVD/BD or borrow from the library.

The main exception is watching Japanese movies that aren't legally available in my region, I DDL fansubbed releases of those films. There are websites that stream fansubbed things, but those sites are pretty scummy since they're profiting off of stuff translated and released by fans for free. (Who remembers when anime fansubs would say 'This is a FREE fansub! Not for sale, rent, or streaming!' #Nostalgia)

I very rarely stream movies. I'll stream TV shows just fine (albeit I exclusively use free streaming services because...I just don't want to pay money if I don't have to) but movies? It's pretty rare for me to do that, I mostly do it if I just really wanna watch a film but it's not necessarily a film I wanna go out and buy or see if my library has and it's on one of these free streaming services I use. It's how I watched the 1931 Dracula for Halloween last year, it was on Tubi.

Betamax of course. Doesn't everyone use Betamax? ;)

No, I have an old school satellite dish and there are several movie channels there, movies 24/7. Plus movies on the other regular channels. And I can record it on the receiver, so if I see something interesting coming up, I just press the old record button and watch it when I get the time. There are also several streaming services built into the tv, so there are a few thousand movies there. I have DVD players too but that's mostly used for sitcoms I have on DVD.

Movies & old TV? Streaming
Regular TV (particularly local news)? OTA (but our antenna needs to be repaired right now).

My wife's ADHD makes her a compulsive channel surfer, so that (or shopping, etc.) makes it hard to commit to a weekly OTA schedule. We have Roku and some of my kids share their streaming services with us, so I can watch those shows at my convenience.

I used to exclusively watch mostly broadcast tv, mixed with our old vhs and dvds, and any movies we got from the library. But since moving to this new place, the tv is hooked up all crazy. I don't know how to switch between broadcast tv, dvd, vhs, and the fire stick. So it basically has stayed firestick only for a year. I was just asking my daughter last night to teach me how to switch between the different components. I'm not sure if she knows either.

So, I mostly watch only Youtube on the big tv. But sometimes other movie streaming services too.

I was just asking my daughter last night to teach me how to switch between the different components. I'm not sure if she knows either.
It can be cumbersome at times, depending on how many components are hooked up to your tv. But in most cases they all are HDMI ports (HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3) usb or component video ports. In most cases those are considered "sources". And again in most cases your remote should have a button named "source" that allows you to access all those HDMI ports that will switch the picture from one source to another.

What HDMI 1,2, 3 or more actually do depends on what cable is plugged into what port on your tv. Can't hurt to write them down until you have them memorized.

On mine HDMI1 is the cable box. HDMI2 is Roku. Component Video is for my DVD player, and the USB port plays my music collection on a single 16 GB flash drive.

I had to learn by accident how to use my cable tv remote to do it instead of my tv remote. Important mostly to keep the number of remotes at a minimum if and where possible.

I actually use five of these :eek: The "other" being YouTube when it comes to stuff that's not on streaming. I have watched some really interesting full-length stuff on there that you can't find anywhere else, like the Dragonhalf anime, a weird 90s version of Snow White, and just random 80s films about cartoon animals that make no sense... XD.

I used to exclusively watch mostly broadcast tv, mixed with our old vhs and dvds, and any movies we got from the library. But since moving to this new place, the tv is hooked up all crazy. I don't know how to switch between broadcast tv, dvd, vhs, and the fire stick. So it basically has stayed firestick only for a year. I was just asking my daughter last night to teach me how to switch between the different components. I'm not sure if she knows either.

So, I mostly watch only Youtube on the big tv. But sometimes other movie streaming services too.
That's really cool though, you have a lot of options. I hope you two figure it out ^^

When I was a kid, I had my own TV and DVD player. I loved watching Disney movies all the time. At one point, I owned every Disney movie. Sometimes, I would watch a movie so much that I would burn the disk till it didn’t work anymore. Disney movies helped me have a creative and strong imagination. Nowadays, I steam movies that I want to watch.
I'm exactly the same, I was a TV and DVD kid now I'm streaming on my iPad, lucky me ^w^ It was very exciting and fun when I first starting doing it last year tbh. Seems like everyone's doing it now.

It was TV, DVD and VHS when I was younger.
Now it's cable and streaming services from Prime Video.

...some of my kids share their streaming services with us,...
For those that have living family members, each streaming subscription is authorized for more than one screen legally whether you use them or not (without paying more).
One of my sons lets us use a screen on Hulu, Netflix & Amazon Prime
Another shares Paramount+.
We share Pureflix with our kids who are interested.

Additionally, my Norton Antivirus is authorized for ten devices.

New Threads

Top Bottom