• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you read?

King_Oni

V.I.P Member
So... there's a couple of things I've been wondering regarding reading behaviour

Do you read sitting in a chair? In bed? Do you hold your book up, do you lay it down flat? Do you trace the lines with your finger or do you keep track of it just by sight? Do you require total silence or do you care for some background music (maybe to cancel out random outside noises)?

Also; how do you portion what you want to read? Do you just read until you don't want to read anymore? Do you want to read an entire chapter in a single go?

As for myself, I usually read in bed and there I don't have a specific way of holding it. Sometimes I put my e-reader down, sometimes I hold it up. When I'm in a chair I do hold it, but that's a practical thing I guess. I don't track lines... as for silence. I'm prone to be put off by the slightest sound. So even a flushing toilet might annoy me and make me quit reading. However, usually reading at night makes up for a more quiet enviroment. I've tried listening to some movie soundtracks by headphones in the past, that really depends on my mood if I can tolerate that, as well as the soundtrack I'm listening to (if anyone has good suggestions for reading music/soundtracks, I'm all up for those)

Portioning it only works halfway, sometimes I just read for a short 5 minute burst and it really depends on how big the chapter is. I can't however start reading if I know that I have to stop at some point, thus I actually need to have this idea of "infinite time" because I might just as well read the book in one go (without prior planning) if I really get into it, and having stuff to do on a daily basis kinda nullifies those prospects.. or at least have nullified those in the past as I felt I wasn't allowed to enjoy it to the fullest.

I only read if the book serves some sort of a purpose. If I'm trying to get answers, whether it is information or emotional balancing. I never read books just for sake of reading or because, like some might say, "I like reading". The content of the book always has to be relevant to something I'm trying to resolve at the moment. I also rarely enjoy reading just for the artistic value of it. It's like if I like a movie because it is well done or an art work, which I consider as a masterpiece, I can watch it/ look at it many times but if I read a book that is well written I can enjoy rereading a few passages but I will not read the book over and over again. As for "when", "where" and "how", it doesn't really matter as long people are not talking around me. I can tolerate TV but not actual people's voices. I rarely read in bed, too tired. Usually I designate time for reading.

I have weird issues about reading in public, mostly because there's a lot going on around me most of the time. I liked studying really early mornings in a coffee place, and I can read well if I'm 'waiting' for something...like on a train, airplane etc. Otherwise I have trouble keeping my attention. I can do it, but I usually find myself having to re-read things over and over, which is annoying.

I want a sort of "spot" where I can drink coffee, smoke and read...but I'm having trouble finding one that I feel comfortable with here. I used to have my balcony.

But as for reading at home, usually I just lie in my bed and hold it up. Sometimes I'll read and pace around the room, if I feel like talking to myself about what I'm reading - or explaining things aloud to myself.

I have weird issues about reading in public, mostly because there's a lot going on around me most of the time. I liked studying really early mornings in a coffee place, and I can read well if I'm 'waiting' for something...like on a train, airplane etc. Otherwise I have trouble keeping my attention. I can do it, but I usually find myself having to re-read things over and over, which is annoying.

I want a sort of "spot" where I can drink coffee, smoke and read...but I'm having trouble finding one that I feel comfortable with here. I used to have my balcony.

But as for reading at home, usually I just lie in my bed and hold it up. Sometimes I'll read and pace around the room, if I feel like talking to myself about what I'm reading - or explaining things aloud to myself.

Doesn't music help? I found that when I'm on a train, I can read, as long as I am both "in" my book, and "in" my music... that keeps me away from being distracted for most. Thing that irks me most is if someone comes for my ticket.

Talking to myself when I read something, just to use it in an example or situation of my own (if it's something non-fictional)... I sometimes feel a bit uncomfy at times because I don't really want anyone to hear me... not because of the subject, but more because of the fact that it's none of their business.

Doesn't music help? I found that when I'm on a train, I can read, as long as I am both "in" my book, and "in" my music... that keeps me away from being distracted for most. Thing that irks me most is if someone comes for my ticket.

Talking to myself when I read something, just to use it in an example or situation of my own (if it's something non-fictional)... I sometimes feel a bit uncomfy at times because I don't really want anyone to hear me... not because of the subject, but more because of the fact that it's none of their business.

I always saw people study and read with music on, and I always wonder how they manage it. I assumed it would be the same sort of distracting, but who knows. Guess it depends really.

Heh, yeah and the talking/reading to yourself- I have to be alone and be pretty sure no one can hear me. Which is strange when people kind of catch you doing it. I'm never obviously saying anything bad or that weird, it's just a bit awkward because it breaks my focus and I don't like attention being drawn to myself in that sense. But that's actually the best way to study for me, if I sort of read and then discuss it with myself.

I always saw people study and read with music on, and I always wonder how they manage it. I assumed it would be the same sort of distracting, but who knows. Guess it depends really.

Heh, yeah and the talking/reading to yourself- I have to be alone and be pretty sure no one can hear me. Which is strange when people kind of catch you doing it. I'm never obviously saying anything bad or that weird, it's just a bit awkward because it breaks my focus and I don't like attention being drawn to myself in that sense. But that's actually the best way to study for me, if I sort of read and then discuss it with myself.

It really depends on the music. I can manage most music, but I have to be familiar with the songs (and like them). New music will distract me cause I'm listening to structure, progressions and the whole deal. Some classical stuff makes for good music to read I think. To me that's Philip Glass, which is in terms of "classical music" quite minimalistic. Maybe some meditation music will help. The thing with music to me is that with music I have a steady flow of sound coming in (besides hearing something I like and am familiar with) rather than random people coughing and whatnot. Those are really big distractions for me.

Yeah, that's how I summarize the stuff I learned. I can even state that if I have to learn something that I cannot apply to a personal situation, I have a hard time understanding it. I have the most interesting brainstorming sessions (non reading related though) when I'm out for a walk in a really desolate park or street. That way I can actively engage in a monologue and think, speak and reflect anything. Being with a close friend of mine kinda helps, because I can discuss all my interests with him and he's into a lot of those things as well, so we end up having a walk in the middle of the night usually. During the day I have a hard time finding those places around. Besides, I need to move to think... I can't really think when sitting still.

I read on the table, and a pen and paper on my side. I sometimes take some random notes, thoughts related (or unrelated) to the book in question.

So... there's a couple of things I've been wondering regarding reading behaviour

Do you read sitting in a chair? In bed? Do you hold your book up, do you lay it down flat? Do you trace the lines with your finger or do you keep track of it just by sight? Do you require total silence or do you care for some background music (maybe to cancel out random outside noises)?

Also; how do you portion what you want to read? Do you just read until you don't want to read anymore? Do you want to read an entire chapter in a single go?

I read? anywhere, usually in bed or the couch. I read on public transportation sometimes and places like the park. I always hold the book up, and keep track just by sight.
I don?t require silence, but I dislike noises that may catch my attention, like music, or people talking (unless they?re far and I can?t understand the words, otherwise I?ll listen to them).

I read until I get bored/tired/have to stop to do something else.

I like to read using my ereader in a plastic Ziploc bag in the bathtub. I can really get absorbed in what I'm reading in there without anyone interrupting me. I also prop myself up in bed & read there with my ereaser on a padded lap desk. I like to read there wearing my big ugly flannel pjs (a truly sexless garment!). I also take it with me on long rides or in taxis: it greatly reduces the odds of a chatty driver beginning to blabber at me.

I read almost anywhere except of course when I am driving or in a moving vehicle. I tend to get sick when I am trying to read in a moving vehicle of any kind. I read for knowledge and entertainment and usually have several books going at once. Generally I read a chapter or two but if it's really interesting I have been known to stay up half the night!!!

Maybe I am coming across as anti-social with all my reading but on the other hand I have never been criticized for having my nose in a book whereas if I try to join conversations I have often been criticized for saying things I ought not to. A book is a dependable companion. It will not turn on you. And I hate to admit it but many are far more interesting than the people I am around.

In the summer I sit outside and read on a lawn chair. Apparently people think I am reading to my cats because one of my neighbors asked me how I trained my cats to sit while I read to them. He said everytime I go by you have several cats by you when you read. How do you get them to stay? Well the truth is I don't read to them. I don't know why my cats like my company so much but they do.

I read in my favorite spot on the couch or in bed. Position of the book doesn't matter. I read in long blocks (at the minimum an hour, but usually much longer). I read until I get the head nod or I start drooling. I need complete quiet. I've tried reading on trains, to avoid the chatty side neighbour thing, but the motion and sound bother me so much. I get massive headaches. So instead, I leave the book open on my lap, so it looks like I am reading, then just go about my inner thoughts.

I read with my NookColor often, or on the computer. But I can read real books if I have the time and patience with my vision issues often that is hard but I manage. I read in the car, on the bus, train, I read my books almost anywhere as long as I have a spot to do so.

I love to read
Mostly I read in bed, with my kindle propped on my knees. But I read on planes (except take-off and landings, grrrr) and I have taken to bringing my kindle to work and reading on my lunch break (was too busy to almost not eat lunch much less read, I wore many hats today, which actually makes me a happy camper, the more work the better....stops me from thinking which then gets me into trouble)
I trace lines by sight, unless I am having trouble processing the info, then I use my finger or ruler.
I tend to read until I am falling asleep, literally or lunch is over. I do not like to read in public places because I am afraid someone will steal my kindle (irrational I know, but whatever)
When I lived in San Diego, I used to sit outside on the back porch and read all day, but that was when I was a smoker and didn't smoke in the house.

I love to read by my log fire with regular cups of tea. Sometimes if its a stormy, cold night I'll read by candle light especially if I'm reading history books about the middle ages or even further back.

Since reading is an obsession for me, I read any which way that I can. I almost can't stop myself from reading if there are words nearby, like a cereal box. But my favorite is curled up on our fluffy recliner, with pillows handy to prop me comfortably, and a small one to put my book on so I don't have to work too hard to hold it up. A hot drink nearby is helpful too : )

In pain. I think I did my exercises wrong the other day cos my back and left side are killing me! So that means no walking/exercising for me until I get better

In a chair, book on lap. Bath, holding it up with two hands. On belly in bed, pillow under arms and chest. Prefer background noise, and no fingers. Lips don't move either ;-)

I'll read instructions, ingredients etc. too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually leaning back against pillows in bed, and I need it to be completely silent. I also mouth the words when I read.

New Threads

Top Bottom