• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you react to authority (being controlled)?

Is your innate reaction good bad or neutral?

• Good, I have no problem with authority

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Neutral, I don't care.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Negative, I don't accept automatic authority over me.

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters
I don't mind being advised what to do / how to do it, sometimes I want / need that. But I want to at least have the choice of what I do. If I am told I must do a specific thing and I don't like the tone of how I was spoken to, - if I was talked down to or patronised sometimes I will want to intentionally NOT do that thing, even if originally I was going to do it anyway.
I don't like being spoken to as if I am an imbecile.

I'm exactly like this too. I can't stand people speaking to me like I'm stupid, or condescending me. I also don't do well with people who are passive aggressive either.

I was considered a 'bad kid' in middle school and freshman year of high school. In middle school the teachers and faculty (except for the very nice principal) treated me like a criminal. There were kids doing worst things than me such as drugs and bullying, but no, bullying is ok when you do it to a kid who has Asperger's. The vice principal, would rarely send me to detention and only suspend me from school for a day. In the 8th grade, he send me to alternative school which in my opinion, was a lot better than the middle school.

In high school, especially freshman year, I would skip class with my friends and would get caught numerous times. BUT they didn't treat me like a criminal, they would often give me second chances and would send me to in-school detention which, for a whole school day, you would stay in one room and do school work. I never got suspended in high school. By Junior or Senior year, I rarely got in trouble but with the occasional walk out of school if angry. I did walk out and got picked up by a police officer on the road and drove me back to school. He didn't put handcuffs on me and was very polite as I was to him. When we got back, they only gave me two-days of in-school detention even though it was a class 3 school offense which would of got me sent to the Board of Education.

For police officers, I just treat them as they should be treated. I never would argue at all. Besides, the police in my town know me very well. (Reasons I will not say)

Whenever someone in authority asks me this question, I tell them no, I have a problem with abuse of authority , or someone acting on more authority than they have. It usually ends the discussion, lol.

Nobody has authority over me but myself, and I do fairly well at keeping myself in check . got a problem with it? Go [deleted] yerself!! Hahaha ! I'm somewhat kidding, I obey laws because I don't want to get thrown in jail or worse yet, an asylum. But just because everyone's "drinking the water", doesn't mean I'm going to do it too. I follow my own moral compass.

I think its complicated, because while i dont think anyone automatically has authority over me without earning my respect. Conversely i would not expect to have anyone acknowledge any position of MY authority without earring their respect first also. It goes both ways.

That said, when people get all cock-sure and assume they are my superior, oh that does ruffle my feathers! I will almost go out of my way to let them know that i do not acknowledge their authority until they earned my respect first. This has caused some unfortunate social problems for me and a lot of anxiety. Specifically I've notice this happens with alpha male types and older men that demand that their authority be acknowledged, before they have earned it, or after proving they did not deserve it. I DO respect the value of life experience i.e. Age... but age isn't always tantamount to wisdom.

It feels good to get stuff off your chest. :)

I think its complicated, because while i dont think anyone automatically has authority over me without earning my respect.:)

That man or woman with the badge that's asking you to do something? They have authority over you with or without your respect.

That man or woman with the badge that's asking you to do something? They have authority over you with or without your respect.

yep, then they make the choice to stop paying you the money.

Loss of self respect = keep the money

Equaliser :
Voodoo Dolls with badges on kept at home. Lots of pins.

Not respecting authority silently, so they don't know it is best :)

True enough about cops. Thankfully i dont deal with them very much.

Can someone tell me how to insert a quote where it references the persons post? Toothless showed me, but i just tried it and i guess I didn't do it right? :(
Is it different on an iPad?

Last edited:
Over the years I've had very good relations with my Bosses in most of my jobs, only real exception was that time I worked at Reclaim, a local "disabled friendly" Recycling Plant, I hated the job anyway for various reasons.

It has been my experience that I am very sensitive to other people trying to control me. I'm wondering if this is an aspie thing or something unrelated. Do other people on here react poorly to being controlled?

I react poorly to being controlled when I deem the person controlling me unqualified to do so, or when I perceive an injustice in being controlled.
I don’t mind someone else being in control per se.

I do have a very innate dislike for lacking control (over myself) in situations. For example when going somewhere I would always take my own car. But in work or when interacting with authorities I will easily subordinate myself to the established boss or official.

Nobody has a right to control you, irregardless of our genetic makeup. That is called the army, which they are having a hard time finding qualified candidates due to physical conditioning, and the it's all about me crowd.

I react poorly to being controlled when I deem the person controlling me unqualified to do so, or when I perceive an injustice in being controlled.
I don’t mind someone else being in control per se.

I feel exactly the same way! If the person who is in control seems fit to be in the position of authority, then I have no trouble following their lead. It is when they are quite obviously ill equipped for the job, playing favorites, making decisions according to their mood ... that makes me balk.

I do have a very innate dislike for lacking control (over myself) in situations. For example when going somewhere I would always take my own car. But in work or when interacting with authorities I will easily subordinate myself to the established boss or official.

Would you subordinate yourself with a boss you did not respect?

Nobody has a right to control you, irregardless of our genetic makeup. That is called the army, which they are having a hard time finding qualified candidates due to physical conditioning, and the it's all about me crowd.

No, I mean like your boss, a police officer, a moderator.

I am extremely lucky, my two bosses are at the extreme end of NOT being on a power trip. l don't know l got so lucky.

l was happy the other place let me go, the owners were high in their esteem of themselves, we were workbots, and l hated it there.

New Threads

Top Bottom