• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

how do you feel about winter/colder months?

do you like snow/frost

• i like snow

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • i dont like snow

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • i like frost

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • i dont like frost

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
Yeah, driving remains the only real downside of having snow...and even then it's relative to how much snow we get. Which just might happen tomorrow night. Certainly at the higher elevations.

Dislike snow and cold weather - I prefer sunshine! And being able to drive without fear of sliding to an icy death.

Luckily I live on a bit of southern coastline that never seems to get snow; although my parents 20 miles north aren't so lucky and always end up without power/road access for many days quite often.

I love snow. Best excuse to wear big, warm, comfy clothes without people calling you crazy and I don't have to feel obligated to go outside.

I think snow is pretty as it is falling and perhaps the day after. Everything looks like it is covered with marshmallows. Afterward, the sun comes out and makes every crystal twinkle like thousands of smiling stars. I do not fare too well in cold weather, but I love staring at the snow from indoors...

Then the snow starts to get decorated with dirt, trash, and other things that I refuse to mention and loses its appeal.

I LOVE SNOW I WAS BORN IN TRONTRO CANANDA SO IT SNOWED ALOT THARE BUT NOW ME AND THE BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST MOM EVER LIVE IN ATLANTA GA USA IT SOME TIMES SNOW HERE BUT NOT TO OFTEN I MIS THE SNOW BUT THE BEST BEST BEST MOM EVER DONT LIKE THE SNOW ANYMORE

I have lived in Michigan, USA for all but 3 years of my life. The State motto is"The water, winter wonderland". I enjoy the seasons, but as I get older I am less tolerant of the cold, and I am not a "winter sports" person. The snow cover is beautiful to look at, no doubt. I really don't mind the winter driving, either as long as I am driving a vehicle with an all-wheel/4 wheel drive system. However, I am more partial to a warmer, sunnier climate these days and I have my orchid collection to consider. I'd rather have a longer growing season.

1657580716513.jpeg

Snow is good for ski jumping. Burlington Vermont, USA

Does anyone else (with ASD or something else) find it harder/more tedious (in terms of processing the changes (darker mornings, temperature drop, more layering of clothing + bedding, etc)) during the lead up (Autumn) to full blown Winter?

I am realising that I do (for the South African Autumn + Winter) and am trying to prepare early (dressing warmer sooner + being more aware of the cold & how the length of the days changes (when it gets darker)).

Thanks for any shared input or insights!

I’m the opposite. I absolutely hate summer. Bright lights bother me so much, and of course during the summer months there’s nothing but light. I much prefer the dark and the cold.

I don’t necessarily find it hard or tedious, but during spring and autumn I often find myself misjudging the weather before I go outside, which leads to me either feeling way too hot or way too cold.

Yes, I'm not a fan of winter. I don't like the darker, rainy days, I don't like being cold. I seem to be more sensitive to cold than most people. And the sunlight affects me worse in winter, because the sun is lower in the sky and the air is clearer, so the light is sharper.

I'm so sensitive....I'm also in ZA and winter isn't cold but if I don't keep warm or caught in cold rain I have to have a hot bath as I feel cold to bones. I also have to cover my ears from wind, I do have fluid on one middle ear, could exacerbates this issue.
In heat, I have loss of appetite, I dehydrated on trip to middle east many years ago, I have to wait for cool down to get energy back.
My son is just as bad, doesn't like a window open in car if blows strong wind, I can't sit by fan as drives me nuts!! I like aircon, but can't afford it, our summer in Karoo reaches 45 degrees and night CD isn't worse than anywhere else.
Highly sweet or salty or butter stuff burns my tongue, I struggle to use footstone as feet so ticklish.

With my early ageing it's worse, the cold leaves me shaking and I have pains in my wrists and joints. Like my lack coordination in sports, I felt intimidated by fact that others can swim through cold to Robbin Island and I always felt inadequate, I retreat as workaholic and became depressed at my achievements being less than others but it was on daily basis with repetitive tasks...I assured myself so many times over and over on how others always adapting my decision making or ability to really think out of box, a phrase I no longer use as everyone else also apparently thinks out box.
My confidence hit all time lows.
If I may raise this question, how do you deal with an embarassing situation? Have you ever being a social NUM NUM and felt so embarassed, humiliated? Did this also add to your feelings of not being good enough.
Pls let me know as I have this theory on preventing alexythemia by embracing my neuro difference, fighting depression by focusing on my strong points.

Snow is nice as long as there's not too much of it. That isn't a problem where I live at all since we rarely ever get it. Winter overall is great though because it's nice and cool and you can bundle up in a blanket if you get cold depending on where you live.

If I may raise this question, how do you deal with an embarassing situation? Have you ever being a social NUM NUM and felt so embarassed, humiliated? Did this also add to your feelings of not being good enough.
Pls let me know as I have this theory on preventing alexythemia by embracing my neuro difference, fighting depression by focusing on my strong points.
Hi @Kayla55 thanks for the long thorough response.

Could you maybe give a bit more context to these last 2 questions (I am bit lost - working through a Autistic burnout so I am sometimes still missing the obvious).

I've pretty sensitive to cold, but I like winter more as I've gotten older. I think because it seems like a calmer, quieter time--though, obviously, people still go out in winter. I also like the darker months. When I was young the humidity in summer never bothered me, but I find it harder to tolerate now.

I know I've said this on here before, but I would rather be hot than cold.

I tolerate heat a lot better than cold temperatures, but I live in a pretty cold climate and I would rather live somewhere that is about 70-80F all year round.

I have lived in Hawaii and in Florida before. Now I live in a part of Massachusetts that is below 70F until June. We are still having days this week that are in the 40s.
And I have a summer home in Maine, where it is not very warm in the summer. I can't even go in the water.

I'm mostly South American. I am not made for cold weather.

And I have a summer home in Maine, where it is not very warm in the summer. I can't even go in the water.

I camped at Acadia once, in September. It was pretty funny, because the beach was full, but about 8 people were in the water.

New Threads

Top Bottom