• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you deal with this ?

I guess that stop being a pain in the back ( didnt mean to say any bad word at all LOL)for my parents should be a good start.

Thinking that you are just a little meaningless dust in the cosmos, in a place crowded with billions of people ?

I feel like nothing matters.

Life having no inherent purpose means you can make it have whatever purpose you'd like.

We get caught up in questions like these, as have I in the past, but the problem is that there is no reason to believe an answer is there.

Out of all of the infinite genetic possibilities, you managed to come into existence, and for that reason, you get to make it your own.

It's looking at a tree and knowing that the tree has no purpose but to be what it is.

You have the right to be whatever you want, provided it doesn't directly affect others without their permission.

It's a relieving and freeing feeling when you accept that some things have no answer. It's accepting that we are here, despite all of the other possibilities.

its all in my head
The strangest thing about that saying...
When people dismiss something "it's just all in your head" well... it's not like it's on your body and you can just put a bandaid on the cut right? easy solution. If it's all in your head, then how tf do you fix it? :screamcat: Can't really just reach in there and twist some nerves.

Although it's said to make people feel better and most know how to somehow intuitively take the advice and brush off their worry without explanation the saying seems pretty bad when thought about.

If it's all in your head then how tf do you get it out?
// sorry random psycho babble over tired. Lol

I used to think my suffering was all in my head.
Then a doctor did a brain MRI and said he found nothing there.
:rolleyes:

Thinking that you are just a little meaningless dust in the cosmos, in a place crowded with billions of people ?

I feel like nothing matters.

Well for starters in a cosmic sense it's true and in the same sense it's false.

At its closest Neptune is roughly 4.3 billion kilometers from Earth. This may seem like a far way until you consider that the closest star in over 4 light years away (that's a 3 followed by too many digits to reasonably type at one time in terms of kilometers.) That's just the closest, most are much further and there are billions of them in just the Milky Way. Then there are billions of galaxies in the observable universe each with billions of stars; some have trillions.

There is a lot of dust in the cosmos (well depending on your point of view, compared to the amount of nothing there is very little dust) but, as far as we know, homo sapiens is the only type of dust which has made a concerned effort to understand itself.

What this means is that locality is meaning.

I feel like the majority of these answers imply that we know anything. We don't know that it's pointless. It could be a game show, a hologram, anything. The assumption that we understand the nature of existence is arrogant and silly.

It's absolutely true - we are specks of dust in the cosmos, but those specks are bouncing off each other all the time, influencing each other's momentum and direction. All those specks have bearing on the future, for without those collisions, the other specks would never have been diverted. Sometimes the specks conglomerate into larger bodies, with greater gravity and greater influence.
Every speck matters, every life has meaning.

I'm not entirely sure how basically stating that "things happen and this precipitates yet more things happening" is any logical, or at least satisfying, way to claim that there is a meaning to anything.

Deriving sentimentality from a purely mechanistic state of affairs is merely another example of how we as a species anthropomorphize everything around us.

I also have issue with this word "meaning" or "purpose." Ironically, it has no meaning! What would the meaning of life be if we got to pick one? What meaning could there be that would be satisfying? "Meaning of life" is a nonsense statement, and the moment you truly understand that is wonderful, in my opinion!

"Meaning of life" is a nonsense statement

Which is why Douglas Adams made a mockery of it in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy".
When people say "meaning" in this context they usually mean a sense of personal relevance, the lack of which can make some of us unhappy. In this sense, continuing the OPs metaphor (not anthromorphication) of "specks of cosmic dust" to convey that we all impact on the lives of those we meet was intended to be an encouraging comment to someone needing reassurance.
"Speak to people in their own language and you will be understood" - in this case the language of metaphor.

The strangest thing about that saying...
When people dismiss something "it's just all in your head"

It was not to dismiss it in that case, I just meant that I dont have a missing limb or something like that, I have everything I want and I am supported by my family, this is in my head , it doesnt mean it is not real thought. It just mean that I should realize that others have bigger problem to deal with and they still manage to do stuff.

Or Monty Python in "The Meaning of Life".

Aaaah... Mr Creosote - fondly remembered :)

Thinking about it - Hitchhiker's also featured "The Total Perspective Vortex Machine" which had the sole purpose of bringing self-important people down to Earth by demonstrating that they WERE just a speck of cosmic dust, compared to the importance they felt they deserved...

It was not to dismiss it in that case, I just meant that I dont have a missing limb or something like that, I have everything I want and I am supported by my family, this is in my head , it doesnt mean it is not real thought. It just mean that I should realize that others have bigger problem to deal with and they still manage to do stuff.
I didn't mean you personally or your case. Just how the saying is usually used.
It's nice you have so much support ^_^

Consider it differently. The more we know about the world as it relates to ourselves and to others and to the planet, we begin to know we are all distinct individually. There is no one exactly like myself on the earth genetically. This is not ego, it's scientific fact.

Part of it all but one of many. Imagine my life's story as it relates to the past. Where ancestors died in wars, in childbirth, from disease, in natural disasters and one or many of them survived. Perhaps through accident, luck, intervention or happenstance we exist.

An existentialist might say that we all turn to dust eventually. A philosopher would not answer your question, but discuss the meaning of the word existence and possibly change it's terms to being. A person who believes in gods, might propose several purposes to our lives as a reason for existence. We might believe in predestination or fate or nothing. It's probably all relative to our experiences, knowledge, genetics and environment. Since time immemorial people have asked this question, which has no real answer.

Last edited:
I am in a quandry... i want to be accepted but it's a lot of work and ive tried this route multiple times. How many times should i keep trying? I love to cook for others but not for myself, i like to do things for others because it makes me feel good but people just ignore the nice things you do for them.

Money isnt everything, but how do we as autistics find a a center balance of happiness? I am still not sure.

Maybe Autistics, Trans, Non binary and anyone else who doesn't quite fit the mold were put on this earth as a puzzle piece for those that got the golden ticket in life. It's up to you to find your puzzle master.

I have problems seeing much meaning as well. At least in the ways most people spend their lives.
I think a lot about how and why this reality came to be and what the point of it really is. It usually results in a headache and being no closer to an answer.

There is one thing however that I see as an objective bad, and that's all the suffering and evil in this world. So one of my goals is to do what little I can to contribute to a world with less of that.

It seems that you like Berserk too.

I spoke about this with my psychiatrist after reading the manga. xD

I firmly believe that, as beings of relatively free will (arguments about whether we really have free will or not can be saved for another time...), we have the power to define & create meaning in our lives. We do not need a god or some supernatural being, but rather an active desire to create a meaning & relevance for ourselves. That can be a number of things, including "being happy." I believe my meaning is to heal people in some way. And I hope I am successful in that endeavor.

It seems that you like Berserk too.
I spoke about this with my psychiatrist after reading the manga. xD

You mean you think that loving berserk is a weird thing and worth talking too a psychiatrist about? xD
I won't say this is wrong because man this manga is weird xD

And yes I love it but i'v learn to not realy care about it this much anymore, because you know, it's taking too long to finish and IMO there is just one end possible and i'm sure they wont do it.

Reading all your answers, it feels like it all come down to self esteem I guess, because many of you seem to be at peace with the idea and just think that making a change at your own scale is enought.

I just think that nothing I can do matter and that I dont realy matter, that the way things are doesnt matter even on a bigger scale than just myself, it's realy hard to explain.

New Threads

Top Bottom