• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you deal with this ?

Iamnotarabot

Thinking that you are just a little meaningless dust in the cosmos, in a place crowded with billions of people ?

I feel like nothing matters.

It's absolutely true - we are specks of dust in the cosmos, but those specks are bouncing off each other all the time, influencing each other's momentum and direction. All those specks have bearing on the future, for without those collisions, the other specks would never have been diverted. Sometimes the specks conglomerate into larger bodies, with greater gravity and greater influence.
Every speck matters, every life has meaning.

That is very troublesome. I used to be more upset by it, but now I feel ok with it. To coalesce into the whole heap is awful, but it's going to happen.

When I was young, this is grim, but I got a big book on what happens when we die. It was terrible. It went into detail, cremation, burial, rotting if you happen to die in a corn field and no one finds you, summer dying and winter dying......phhhh.

I made myself watch cremations on you tube. They don't show it. Just the containers and how it's done.

It's horrifying but there is a 100% chance that will happen.

When I got my brain around that fact, my tiny little speck-like nature quickly got itself into perspective. I also saw how brief we are here.

It's senseless, yes, but I look around and see beautiful sentient souls, all of whom are the "dying replacing the dead." (Augustine, COG). We all look so permanent! We all feel so permanent......

For me, it helps to keep my mortality front and centre. I don't know why that helps, but it does.

Yeah, we're all 1 in what is 7 billion people. Still we have a uniqueness that makes us more than what we are. Try to focus on that, what makes you unique.

There are roughly 7 * 10^27 atoms in a human body. There are 118 known elements in the periodic table of elements. That means there are 118 ^ (7 * 10^27) = 10 ^ (10 ^ 28) possible ways to combine 118 known elements into the size and shape of a human body.

How big is 10 ^ (10 ^ 28)? The number that describes how long it would be if you wrote it down is 10^28 digits long.

So the probability of you occurring randomly in the universe is at most 1 in 10 ^ (10 ^ 28). There are only 10^82 atoms in the observable universe. If all those atoms were randomly combined every second, it would still take 10 ^ (10 ^ 28) times the age of the universe to randomly combine to make you.

So, it's highly unlikely that there will ever be another you in this universe. You are incredibly lucky to be here. Make the most of it.

For me. the knowledge that we must die makes me think that everything is pointless. Then I remember that until this happens, I am alive and should try and enjoy life. I was born, I'm here, so now I've just got to get on with it EDIT and make the most of it.

I think that knowledge of our own mortality is the trade-off for having superior intelligence, not having a head almost too big for the birth canal... the birth canal problem can be addressed with modern medicine, death can't.

Last edited:
nothing does matter, that is why it is important to give your purpose to your life, think what makes you happy and go for that and try to enjoy what you can on the way

step 1 stop worrying that you don't have those thing society says you must have to be happy

to be happy you are not obliged:
- to have many friends
- have a high profile job
- have a trophy life (clothes, ,watches, gadgets, wife, car, house, holidays...)

take it from an old fart, chasing after other people's dreams will only result in a point when you look back at your life and wonder why you listened to everyone else telling you what you need to be happy and didn't just enjoy what was there

my goals are simple:
- have an interesting job
- try to be socially unencumbered, ie no social life wanted
- do things that make my wife happy
- find a home with a minimal commute but with maximum isolation
- enjoy my hobbies: quiet and not talking / listening to music / rpg games / photography and cycling

For me. the knowledge that we must die makes me think that everything is pointless. Then I remember that until this happens, I am alive and should try and enjoy life. I was born, I'm here, so now I've just got to get on with it.
My philosophy also.
I may not like that I am on this planet.
Remember the old bumper sticker? Life's a bit** and then you die.
But, I'm here and look for the little pleasures that I can find along the way.

My philosophy also.
I may not like that I am on this planet.
Remember the old bumper sticker? Life's a bit** and then you die.
But, I'm here and look for the little pleasures that I can find along the way.
Now i've started singing 'always look on the bright side of life 'it's the last scene from 'the life of Brian' .
I don't agree with that part of the British sense of humour

Well I guess it all comes down to one fact...: are you positive or negative ( i mean optimistic or pessimistic).

When I think about it it just make me loose any motivation, I know I am just drowing myself in negative thinking.

At least for now I cant still look at the blue sky, that'gives me positivity.

That is very troublesome. I used to be more upset by it, but now I feel ok with it. To coalesce into the whole heap is awful, but it's going to happen.

When I was young, this is grim, but I got a big book on what happens when we die. It was terrible. It went into detail, cremation, burial, rotting if you happen to die in a corn field and no one finds you, summer dying and winter dying......phhhh.

I made myself watch cremations on you tube. They don't show it. Just the containers and how it's done.

It's horrifying but there is a 100% chance that will happen.

When I got my brain around that fact, my tiny little speck-like nature quickly got itself into perspective. I also saw how brief we are here.

It's senseless, yes, but I look around and see beautiful sentient souls, all of whom are the "dying replacing the dead." (Augustine, COG). We all look so permanent! We all feel so permanent......

For me, it helps to keep my mortality front and centre. I don't know why that helps, but it does.
If you need to know about a cremation watch a Hindu burial

I like being a speck of meaningless dust in a large cosmos. Now if all the other specks of dust that I work with would just leave me the hell alone, then I world be much happier.

If you have got to comic dust, you are overthinking.

animals_hero_chimpanzee.jpg

I always wonder "why am I here?", surely it's not just to exist for the purpose of making up the numbers in the world? OK I've done a lot of volunteer work, but some idiot from a job Agency once told me to my face that 24 years of voluntary work does not translate to REAL work experience! Eh?!

Like I applied to ASDA (Walmart to the Americans) yesterday, and I know for a fact I won't even get an interview because I had to declare that I have AS, I'm deaf and have spinal stenosis.

Generally, working on positive thinking helps - techniques that mean you train yourself out of the negative thought-patterns such as 'life's pointless' and into positive ones, or at least active ones where you can take control of certain aspects of your life (which makes it more fulfilling). Personally, I haven't got the hang of this yet, especially as I have intense fear surrounding sickness/death/loss, but that's an ongoing progress with a goal for me to try and reach.

I always wonder "why am I here?", surely it's not just to exist for the purpose of making up the numbers in the world? OK I've done a lot of volunteer work, but some idiot from a job Agency once told me to my face that 24 years of voluntary work does not translate to REAL work experience! Eh?!

Like I applied to ASDA (Walmart to the Americans) yesterday, and I know for a fact I won't even get an interview because I had to declare that I have AS, I'm deaf and have spinal stenosis.

Man that's hard, It make me think that I should stop complaining sometimes , you have real issues unlike me -_-" its all in my head

nothing does matter, that is why it is important to give your purpose to your life, think what makes you happy and go for that and try to enjoy what you can on the way

step 1 stop worrying that you don't have those thing society says you must have to be happy

to be happy you are not obliged:
- to have many friends
- have a high profile job
- have a trophy life (clothes, ,watches, gadgets, wife, car, house, holidays...)

take it from an old fart, chasing after other people's dreams will only result in a point when you look back at your life and wonder why you listened to everyone else telling you what you need to be happy and didn't just enjoy what was there

my goals are simple:
- have an interesting job
- try to be socially unencumbered, ie no social life wanted
- do things that make my wife happy
- find a home with a minimal commute but with maximum isolation
- enjoy my hobbies: quiet and not talking / listening to music / rpg games / photography and cycling

I thought dust was supposed to be like snow flakes, with no two the same. I read your post and immediately banged on the bathroom door to ask my husband why he logged onto this forum as a tree named OlLiE. He said the post wasn't written by him because he would have said cigars instead of rocket powered grenades games.
At least we have a purpose, to increase the world population ratio of people to sheeple and we really do need a few good men as husband material. Good job.

Paraphrasing a quote I heard a long time ago: "Philosophers can argue til they're blue in the face about what is real and what isn't, but they still collect their paychecks every Friday."

Does it matter that I'm insignificant in size compared to the rest of the universe? Does it matter that, no matter what I do there's someone else out there that could do it better? Does it matter that my entire contribution to this world will probably only be remembered by a few family members and friends?

Yes. My life matters to me. And it matters to a few precious other people.

You can turn the question around: If we humans are the only things in the universe (discarding religion for the sake of argument) that have the ability to decide what matters, then my opinion should be worth just as much as anyone else's. Therefore, I matter just as much as I decide that I do.

New Threads

Top Bottom