• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you deal with people aging/dying?

Honestly I cant deal with this stuff at all. Never could.

A couple years back, my uncle died. He was in his mid 50s, I think? He wasnt overweight or out of shape or anything... big strong guy, always had been.

And then something went wrong... I'm not sure exactly what, but he started getting sick. Lots of funky, scary symptoms. It turned out that his liver was going bad. He had never been a heavy drinker or anything... in fact I dont remember ever seeing him drunk. But still, he enjoyed the occaisional beer, and according to my father, both him and my aunt were fond of wine. Somehow, despite him never going overboard on it, it still damaged his liver way too much.

The prognosis when he went into the doctor was... not good. If I recall correctly from what my father said, the docs had told him that he might have 5 years or so left if something wasnt done. That was horrible as it was.

But... the symptoms he had going into there, they never got better. It all got worse. He'd gotten pneumonia, that disease that preys on those who have already been weakened. More stuff happened, and the news was constantly worrying. But everyone thought he'd pull out of it.

He didnt. Died abruptly. I'll never, ever forget my father coming into my room to tell me about it, so suddenly. That moment is seared into my usually-faulty memory.

And you know what? I cant handle it. It's been a couple of years and I still cant freaking handle it. Even just typing about this now is too much. Here I sit, in a hotel room with this accursed laptop, and just from typing all of this I'm getting pulled into that horrible mindset I get sometimes. The one where, if I dont regain control, I'm going to start smashing stuff. And yell and shout.

Cant have that happening in a hotel, no. So that's all I'll say... gonna go read other topics, stop thinking about this so much.

I deal with death very badly, both that of other people and my own mortality. I keep seeing or reading accounts of how people have made peace with themselves at the end of their life, or how they have accepted death and are calm, don't want to fight it, or that they are not afraid. But I don't feel that way about death. For me, it's the most horrific, terrifying and awful thing that can happen. The thought of it, the idea that you lose consciousness never to wake up, you cease to think and exist, is too much and causes me to lie awake and have panic attacks. If I knew I was about to die soon, there's absolutely no way that I would accept it and be calm about it - even though I know that this is the inevitable conclusion to life and there's nothing I can do to change it. How do people cope with this, and find their peace, acceptance and inner calm? Is their some mechanism in place that protects the mind? I know, some people believe in an afterlife, but I don't. Perhaps I'm just a coward.

My wifes grandmother was 96 and first thing she said to me was she's been on the planet for too long. She was very sharp minded still. The thing is it's so normal their life is long and their mind so full, also for those blessed with a longer life span all their friends have dropped off. I think people also become comfortable with having lived their life and their ready to just go.

It'll be 2 years to the day on Wednesday since my Nan died, very sad. Well it's actually 2 years as NEXT Wednesday since she died, can't really discuss it with my Uncle Pete, don't want him to feel sad.

Sad day though, like I said before, Nan and I were very close, I was a lot closer to my Mum's Mother than my other Nan. probably because I saw a lot more of her, my other Nan, Dad's Mum, died about a month after I left school, in May 1992.

Last edited:
Be strong and tell her you love her. I don't deal with death all that well, so other than that, I have no idea, sorry. Good luck.

I deal with death very badly, both that of other people and my own mortality. I keep seeing or reading accounts of how people have made peace with themselves at the end of their life, or how they have accepted death and are calm, don't want to fight it, or that they are not afraid. But I don't feel that way about death. For me, it's the most horrific, terrifying and awful thing that can happen. The thought of it, the idea that you lose consciousness never to wake up, you cease to think and exist, is too much and causes me to lie awake and have panic attacks. If I knew I was about to die soon, there's absolutely no way that I would accept it and be calm about it - even though I know that this is the inevitable conclusion to life and there's nothing I can do to change it. How do people cope with this, and find their peace, acceptance and inner calm? Is their some mechanism in place that protects the mind? I know, some people believe in an afterlife, but I don't. Perhaps I'm just a coward.
Your not a coward and you feel like so many others do ! This is the very question I asked all my life . Why Did God create us just to die ? It made no sense to me at all until I studied the Bible in detail . Come to find out the Bible promises a resurrection of the dead in the near future .( most churches don’t teach that ) It’s absolutely going to happen and if you would like me to show you the scriptures I’m referring to , I would be happy to . I don’t think I’d still be alive today personally if I didn’t read that in the Bible for the first time in 2001.

Your not a coward and you feel like so many others do ! This is the very question I asked all my life . Why Did God create us just to die ? It made no sense to me at all until I studied the Bible in detail . Come to find out the Bible promises a resurrection of the dead in the near future .( most churches don’t teach that ) It’s absolutely going to happen and if you would like me to show you the scriptures I’m referring to , I would be happy to . I don’t think I’d still be alive today personally if I didn’t read that in the Bible for the first time in 2001.
Thanks, but no thanks. I'm well aware that other people are able to find comfort in religion and I am aware of the Bible, but it doesn't work for me - as I explained, I don't believe in an afterlife, I don't believe in God and that he created me or that we will be somehow resurrected from the dead. I can't believe in things on faith alone, it's just not enough, and I can't make myself believe in things that I don't, it just doesn't work like that for me. Anyway, my post was not intended to spark off a religious debate, so that's all I'm going to say on the matter here.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'm well aware that other people are able to find comfort in religion and I am aware of the Bible, but it doesn't work for me - as I explained, I don't believe in an afterlife, I don't believe in God and that he created me or that we will be somehow resurrected from the dead. I can't believe in things on faith alone, it's just not enough, and I can't make myself believe in things that I don't, it just doesn't work like that for me. Anyway, my post was not intended to spark off a religious debate, so that's all I'm going to say on the matter here.
Fair enough , but I’m telling you this because I felt the same way and that changed . When you comment on a subject like death and say you can’t accept it , be prepared for someone to bring God into it .

It's hard watching anyone suffer and not knowing what to do to help. I don't think her sentiment of being ready to die is all that uncommon. I imagine if you've lived a long life, done everything you've wanted to do, watched your friends pass away, then at some point you feel ready to go (I'm assuming anyway). People tend to thrive when they feel they have a sense of purpose and goals. Perhaps giving your grandmother a project or something else to focus on might help? Maybe ask her to record her memories and/or advice for younger people. Write a list of questions or topics and ask her to write or record her response. One of my friends did this with his grandfather the year before he passed away and some of his answers are pretty hilarious and profound! They filmed it like a proper interview.

I'm quite lucky (?) in that my family all stick around to a very old age with fairly healthy lives and tend to suddenly drop dead without notice. My grandfather is still going strong in his 80s with a second younger wife, running the equivalent of a mini farm! I don't think he's aware of his age. One day we'll find his body at the back of a field on a tractor with an empty bottle of homemade wine!

I think my own perception of aging is actually reversing as I get older. I was like Wednesday Addams as a child, but I'm more relaxed about life now that I'm on my way to 40. My main concern is not wasting the time I have. I don't want to reach 90 and look back on life with regrets thinking 'what if I'd done x, y, z'. If I'm not happy with a situation then I'm more willing to change it. Stagnating is far worse than making a few mistakes along the way. And death doesn't bother me at all. If there's an afterlife, great. If not, I'll be dead so I won't care! Win win! :D

Last edited:
One of my sisters died in her teens. It was a painful event for our whole family and some family members didn’t deal well with it (a vast understatement).

I had to consciously decide whether I was going to wallow in the pain of loss, or remember the good things. For a while, every time I thought about my sister, I had to very deliberately turn my thoughts to some good memory of her. It became a habit. Now, every time I think of her, I smile to myself. I am grateful for the experiences that I got to have and the good things I get to remember about her.

One of my favorite cousins, who I suspected of being on the spectrum, took his own life a few weeks ago. It really messed my head up that he would do that when he has kids and his mother was recovering from a very serious surgery fairly recently. It still doesn't feel real that this actually happened. I still wonder about what was so bad in his life that he would do that at a time like this. It really devastated his family and it is something that I plan to remember when I get low in life. I cant imagine putting my parents through that, even know there were times that I didnt want to continue on with life.

New Threads

Top Bottom