• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you deal with a haircut?

How do you deal with a haircut?

• Use any special equipment or tools to make haircuts easier for your child

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have no problem with getting a haircut (other than having gotten bad haircuts in the past ;) ). As a 5 year old, I actually went to the hairdresser by myself and asked for a haircut. Didn’t realize that is usually something asked for by parents and also something that costs money and isn’t usually given to unaccompanied kids.

When I turned 18 I bought myself a set of clippers and I've cut my own hair ever since. The only time I ever paid for a haircut was when I was best man at a wedding.
I did the exact same thing. Bought clippers and just kept going shorter every month until I started shaving. I have been bald since about 25 years old. I haven’t had a haircut that I didn’t do myself in 30+ years. I have saved close to $10K in haircuts… not to mention the amount I have saved in hair products and water in the shower (I usually only spend about 3 minutes in the shower since I don’t wash my hair)

I have been bald since about 25 years old.
As you can see in my profile pic, I haven't. :) When I was working in jobs where appearance was important I'd keep my hair short and neat, cutting it every month. These days I cut it every year wether it needs it or not.

Not being the best with hand eye coordination, especially with a hand mirror. I focus on the sides, evening the top and back lightly. I end up with my version of the "Danny McBride" mohawk-mullet

Haircuts are another way to get a massage. I love the feeling of the hands on my hair, the water, the scissors sound, even the vibration of the hair cutter machine. Its a very nice experience. I have seen that some people do ASDM, head massage and haircut all in once experience. I would love to try one of those.

Sadly I cut it myself now, because of money, time and forced conversations.

Haircuts are another way to get a massage. I love the feeling of the hands on my hair, the water, the scissors sound, even the vibration of the hair cutter machine. Its a very nice experience. I have seen that some people do ASDM, head massage and haircut all in once experience. I would love to try one of those.

I only really like having my hair or head touched by my girlfriend. Its nice when she does it but a stranger? Not so much. When I used to get my hair cut, it used to feel like I couldn't wait until it was over. It made me feel very uncomfortable, with very few exceptions.

I love having my hair cut, and touched in general, but I’m a trained hairstylist and I usually do mine myself.

I have had extensions put in and had my hair dyed a couple of times this year, but I have not had my hair actually cut by a professional in over a year now, other than trimming split ends.

When I had much shorter hair, I used to use a buzzer and trimmer on myself, and anyone who has done that before knows how nerve wracking it is lol…

I also shape and trim my own eyebrows (I have to, mine are like caterpillars lol) and I’m very quickly learning makeup art.

And, kind of relevant to this discussion, I’m a professional dog groomer. I have a whole grooming area in my house with a bathtub and two grooming tables, and an air dryer.

I wish I could answer this question better, but I have never done a haircut on a child, only myself and other adult women.

I love having my hair cut, and touched in general, but I’m a trained hairstylist and I usually do mine myself.

I have had extensions put in and had my hair dyed a couple of times this year, but I have not had my hair actually cut by a professional in over a year now, other than trimming split ends.

When I had much shorter hair, I used to use a buzzer and trimmer on myself, and anyone who has done that before knows how nerve wracking it is lol…

I also shape and trim my own eyebrows (I have to, mine are like caterpillars lol) and I’m very quickly learning makeup art.

And, kind of relevant to this discussion, I’m a professional dog groomer. I have a whole grooming area in my house with a bathtub and two grooming tables, and an air dryer.

I wish I could answer this question better, but I have never done a haircut on a child, only myself and other adult women.
You are full of talents Luca. :)

I don't recall being apprehensive about hair cuts in the past,...
I take that back, one lady barber.
She did okay at the actual cut, but it was really awkward having her boobs in my face...
full

Last edited:
Using my electric trimmer once a month keeps my sparse cranial hairs in some order.
Most of my hair came out in my 20's, so it is an easy job to do.

I've known at least two hair places where I know the people, even when they haven't been there for a long time, and I'm not afraid of having the small talk with the stranger hairstylists :). Most importantly, I have someone at home who cuts my hair for me, very lucky ^^ I tend to get embarrassed and shy in public when I mention "I'm 17 and don't have a job" for some reason cause I'm usually surrounded by tall adults. Though, they're just people. Another thing (off topic) is my Dad says sometimes you get ripped off when you pay money. He tells me to look out for that and it's a serious thing, cause it happened to me, supposedly when I got fish and chips at a counter and I didn't get the right amount back..?

Aww that's really cute ^^ It's really cool to know that you do it all yourself~

Same it's really nice ^^ Aww that's okay,,, I might end up doing the same when I'm older lol

I have no problem with getting a haircut (other than having gotten bad haircuts in the past ;) ). As a 5 year old, I actually went to the hairdresser by myself and asked for a haircut. Didn’t realize that is usually something asked for by parents and also something that costs money and isn’t usually given to unaccompanied kids.
Lol that's so cute ^^ You had more guts than me as a kid.

My Mum cut my hair when I was a kid, just with comb and scissors. Sometimes she'd accidentally cut the top of my ear and once she managed to cut the corner of my eyelid. I made sure I sat very still, especially if she'd had a few to drink.

When I turned 18 I bought myself a set of clippers and I've cut my own hair ever since. The only time I ever paid for a haircut was when I was best man at a wedding.
Same ^^ except for turning 18 lol, haven't done that yet

As a 29 year old (ASD adult), I have not liked haircuts for the longest time - makes me feel uncomfortable & quite alert (don't feel calm).

If a woman doesn't want to go to the salon, this is a great haircut tutorial.

There are tons of tutorials for it and even short reels on Youtube.

The end result is sort of 70s glam.

I stopped getting mine cut for similar reasons. A fresh haircut feels awesome, and I never minded the clippers or scissors. I even really liked that conditioning water they always sprayed my hair with. It’s the break in my daily routine, the conversation where I’m basically captive in the chair, and a week of people commenting on ny new dew.

New Threads

Top Bottom