• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you deal with a haircut?

How do you deal with a haircut?

• Use any special equipment or tools to make haircuts easier for your child

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matthew Michel

I created this thread to learn more about how individuals with sensory sensitivity manage haircuts. As someone who has worked with individuals with sensory sensitivities, I understand how challenging haircuts can be for some people. The sound and feel of clippers or scissors, the sensation of hair falling on the face or neck, and the unfamiliar environment can all be overwhelming and cause anxiety.

I'm interested in hearing about your experiences with haircuts, as well as any strategies you've found helpful for managing sensory needs during the process. Have you tried using noise-cancelling headphones, practicing relaxation techniques beforehand, or using specialized tools? What has worked for you, and what hasn't?

The majority of people here are autistic adults; if you'd read the room a little better I wouldn't have been so dog-goned inquisitive so anyway I started looking.

You invented this not for human beings, but for your Maine Coon cat, Atticus, and your trademark for the "Scaredy Cut" was filed April 2009.

http://metalproductseng.com/news-scaredy cut.php

I found the Amazon for the Calming Clipper(TM) and it is $39.95. Your other product, the Scaredy Cut silent trimmer for dogs & cats, which is externally identical but comes in a different bag, is $34.95 because it's "30% off," and I find this somewhat amusing.

Last edited:
The majority of people here are autistic adults--Very clever of you to invent something new but this is a support forum for autistic people, not a parents-only space.
Certainly, I understand. I apologize for any confusion caused by my initial post. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I appreciate the opportunity to clarify that my product is intended to help individuals with sensory sensitivity, including those on the autism spectrum, and that I am committed to supporting this community. I look forward to contributing positively to this forum.

It does seem like it may have been prudent to "read the room" as Gerontius said. I do like Maine Coons though!

I didn't like clippers at the hairdresser until I was maybe around 10-11, when suddenly they didn't bother me anymore. But I didn't like haircuts full stop, partially because I liked my hair to be long and partially because I found the whole thing so unpleasant. I once ran out of a hair dressers when a haircut was sprung on me. I nearly made it too, until I started to move rapidly backwards and upwards from the pavement. It turns out my dad had caught me!

In the meantime, lets admire this beautiful creature...
th-1704578362.jpg

Just a picture i found, not my own cat :)

I didn't like clippers at the hairdresser until I was maybe around 10-11,
My Mum cut my hair when I was a kid, just with comb and scissors. Sometimes she'd accidentally cut the top of my ear and once she managed to cut the corner of my eyelid. I made sure I sat very still, especially if she'd had a few to drink.

When I turned 18 I bought myself a set of clippers and I've cut my own hair ever since. The only time I ever paid for a haircut was when I was best man at a wedding.

I [ASD1] cut my own hair using a store-bought electric trimmer and its one-inch comb attachment and taper combs. I don't recall being apprehensive about hair cuts in the past, just their price.

My ASD2 & 3 kids have not been apprehensive, either.

(Though, a quiet trimmer sounds helpful to people with that issue. ;))

@Calming Clipper, if you want to cater to the autistic community --which is commendable-- you need to learn who we are, such as the differences between ASD1, 2 & 3. ASD1s can have sensory issues, too, but we usually have better coping mechanisms.

My biggest hair-cutting discomfort is when itchy hair sits on my back & shoulders, but I just hop into the shower right away.

Last edited:
My Mum cut my hair when I was a kid, just with comb and scissors. Sometimes she'd accidentally cut the top of my ear and once she managed to cut the corner of my eyelid. I made sure I sat very still, especially if she'd had a few to drink.

When I turned 18 I bought myself a set of clippers and I've cut my own hair ever since. The only time I ever paid for a haircut was when I was best man at a wedding.
I used to get my hair cut mostly by my mother. I didn't find it too pleasant really. She used this pair of scissors that, god knows where she got them from, looked like she'd borrowed them from Edward Scissor Hands. I'm surprised she didn't lop my head off. These things were so sharp and huge that they were literally used to cut our garden hedge for a while.

She was also fond of a drink, I specifically remember her sitting me on this stool in the middle of the living room while I tried to stay still, she'd alternate between snipping at my hair and sipping wine from a glass and placing it on the mantle piece behind her. It was always a Sunday night when this would happen.

I had a few snicked ears too! On one occasion, she was cutting my fringe and I remember being so irritated by the blade of the scissors scratching against my forehead, I flinched a little and the edge of one of the blades caught me right in the tear duct. I remember thinking "surely this will mean no school tomorrow!" But alas, no.

My biggest hair-cutting discomfort is when itchy hair sits on my back & shoulders, but I just hop into the shower right away.
Yup! I hate that too, I'm driven to distraction by those little blighters. It's been so long since I had my hair cut, I'd forgotten. They get into the collar of t-shirts and it's like pieces of glass sticking in. I used to procrastinate with haircuts for this reason a lot when I was in my teens/twenties.

I don't like being touched so getting haircuts sucks. Like it's not getting my hair cut that bothers me cuz you don't feel that, I just don't like when they have to touch me to like move my head or their fingers brush against my ears.

I'm getting a haircut tomorrow btw lol.

I currently get my hair cut every six months. Was very long but had to get it cut as I could not wash it properly after my stroke, lack of feeling in left arm. My cousin is a great hairdresser. Women comment on who cut my hair.

I cut my own hair. I can't stand people touching my head or hair or sitting me down and facing me straight at the person next to me. I hate it.

I even use scissors around my own ears. (If you rest the bottom blade on your ear and keep the blades against the side of your head, you will not cut yourself. ;))

Last edited:
In this case, I am the child, and I find a hairdresser that is understanding of my needs. Luckily I found one.

I just found the whole getting a haircut thing to be terrible. I had a hard time describing what I wanted and always felt disappointed. So, a decade ago got some decent clippers and managed things myself.

Guess I'm not alone. I seldom mention to anyone that I've cut my own hair since 1979.

When my faithful barbershop closed and I went into a panic not being able to find another like it.

So I "improvised". My bad. ;)

Last edited:
I used to have long hair until my hair said, nah. Now, I just use clippers, but I'm the one doing it, and it did take getting just the right pair. I'm curious about the new electric shaver thingy that fits in your palm and just rub it over your head to whittle it down every so many days.

Good hairdressers are hard to find. even when I had long hair Fortunately, My cousin was top of his class take the same attitude to his styling as he does for his drumming. building a name as a celebrity hairdresser, high end clients
works alone. non-descript shop in non-descript town.

New Threads

Top Bottom