• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How did you get into anime?

FromEquestria2LA

Any anime fans in here? Tell me how you got into it.
-----
It was a slow evolution for me- first saw Ranma 1/2 and Sailor Moon in the mid-1990s, then Pokemon in 1998, but then Sailor Moon got me into this fandom to stay in 2000. :D

I have enjoyed animation since I was a child. I liked the lush backgrounds and multiplane animation in early Disney offerings, but disliked later formulaic offerings until more recently. I enjoy the style imposed upon cell animation though some CGI is striking, like that used so strikingly in The Book of Life. I really dug into Japanese Anime after being knocked back by the stunning presentation of Spirited Away. My current two favorites are Koe no Katachi, A Silent Voice, and Kimi no Na Wa, Your Name. I think Shinkai's photorealism is absolutely electrifying.

Last edited:
Any anime fans in here? Tell me how you got into it.
-----
It was a slow evolution for me- first saw Ranma 1/2 and Sailor Moon in the mid-1990s, then Pokemon in 1998, but then Sailor Moon got me into this fandom to stay in 2000. :D
My sister made me watch Attack on titan, tiger and bunny, blue exorcist, soul eater and a few others. I watched Pokémon as a kid but as a kid you don’t realize it is anime when watching. I’ve also watched kikis delivery service, howls moving castle and spirited away.

I watched a few films when I was a young teenager. I think my first was Street Fighter II the animated movie. Saw some of the old 80's and 90's classics.

Personally I went off anime entirely in my mid 20's and haven't enjoyed it since. But I think that's pretty much cartoons in general as a genre.

Ed

The Sci-Fi network played a series called "Iria: Zeiram the Animation".

That's all it took.

Incidentally, I used the name Zeiram pretty much everywhere for years online.

Also this was a LONG while ago. This was back when anime had a very different overall artstyle to it, and you'd often hear of shows such as Slayers or El-Hazard... that era. VERY different from the sorts of stuff that is around now.

It only happened in the last 10 years for me! I started with some classic KyoAni shows. K-On, Hyouka, Nichijou, Chuuni and the like after seeing some appealing GIFs somewhere. From there I broadened into pretty much every genre and decade. I learned later it's a bit of an unusual way to start as most people go for the big shonen initially like One Piece or naruto (or currently AoT or Demon Slayer) but that part of the medium was never really for me.
It has been an excellent time and eventually it really opened me up to a lot of other great things like japanese jazz and foreign film.

In the mid-90s I remember anime series were most interesting to me because they were the only cartoons that had continuity between the episodes. Cartoons, in particular american cartoons which was what we mostly got here, only more recently are starting to actually have a story.

At the time I didn't think of it as "anime". I also watched most of it through Fox Kids and Magic Kids.

The first series I remember are Digimon, Pokemon, Monster Rancher, Mikami, Slayers.

When I was a kid, I loved watching Superbook and Flying House, bible stories done by Japanese anime studios, and basically the only cartoons I was allowed to watch. Fun stories, I still love them even though I hate all things bible related now.

HOWEVER, in my early 20's I was introduced to Rurouni Kenshin on Cartoon Network and it literally saved my life. To this day, I'm kind of obsessed with all things Kenshin. I've since dabbled in other anime and LOVE the stuff, but Kenshin is my gateway and my first love. As a martial artist I gravitate to martial arts/Samurai anime, although I love Ghibli and good stories like Your Name, Perfect Blue, and Silent Voice. Yeah, I love good anime.

Watching Pokemon as a kid - followed by other shows like Digimon, Monster Rancher, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Beyblade, Cardcaptors, etc. on CITV.
After that, I came across other anime shows like Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT and others; having a look to see what else there was.

New Threads

Top Bottom