• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How confident are you finding work?

aspiediscovery

Are you Highly Confident, Somewhat Confident, Neutral, Somewhat unconfident, or very unconfident?

Please provide me your opinions, in addition to your answer above and I will give you advice based on my experience as an Aspie that will also be collectively shared.

What exactly is the intent of this post? Is it meant to be a poll? An ad for something to be revealed later? Something else?

Are you Highly Confident, Somewhat Confident, Neutral, Somewhat unconfident, or very unconfident?

Please provide me your opinions, in addition to your answer above and I will give you advice based on my experience as an Aspie that will also be collectively shared.
I've been continuously employed since 1995 so I'm not sure I need advice?

I am unconfident about you and you can be confident on me reporting you and this thread.

:)

From a reader's standpoint:

1) There is a missing preposition in the post title, right off the bat this screams of rushed work with little thought toward presentation. People will judge you by your grammar.

e.g. of finding work, about finding work, with finding work.

Then it gets into the question itself.

2) Six occurrences of improper use of a proper noun in a single sentence. None of those need to be capitalized.

3) Consistency. We have six improperly capitalized nouns and then a sudden switch to proper grammar, why capitalize in the first place or why not capitalize them all?

4) Redundancy. The somewhats are not necessary unless there is another choice between confident, (somewhat), neutral, (somewhat), unconfident.

5) Terminology of the request. Provide me your opinion. Everything about this grates at the reader. It speaks strongly of a lack of comprehension of English. Nothing wrong with that, however, it can lead to major communication issues because the use and meaning of the terms are not effective.

Want to give career advice from an autistic perspective, research the format.

e.g. Anne Landers or read through threads on this forum. A lot of autistics are very articulate in written formats. That being said, when others read a piece like this and measure it against their own abilities and context, what is going to induce them to share their experiences?

Are you sure any of us should be correcting anyone else's grammar? If that's suddenly important then I have a lot of work to do, beginning with the comments in this thread.

@Fino

The point I am trying to illustrate is that when someone provides zero context and unsolicited career advice, it comes across as questionable.

Communication is a huge part of one's work experience and a part where many autistics struggle, yet here is a post riddled with issues offering advice...

Presentation matters. Typos happen. Minor grammar errors happen. The reason I spoke up: There are six improperly capitalized nouns within the first sentence.

How we write tells a lot about context, about the reliability of a resource.

It takes ten seconds to fix an incorrect capital letter, someone doesn't bother with that small step, what bigger issues are going to be missed?

Little things, details build foundations. Writing is an extension of the individual. How one approaches it is very much akin to a first impression.

And this first impression is a big red flag given the presentation.

In order for advice to be functional, it needs to be understandable, usable, but it also has to come from a reliable source. People listen to those we trust or respect, not the random stranger on the street.

Approach the work from an objective standpoint and address the issues on the clarity and effectiveness of the post, not the poster.

Basic critique. What doesn't word and why, and solutions for consideration.

The post fails to effectively communicate with the majority of readers. It is something that can be corrected with some basic editing and a few minutes of work.

Last edited:
Are you sure any of us should be correcting anyone else's grammar? If that's suddenly important then I have a lot of work to do, beginning with the comments in this thread.
My wife the English teacher fulfills that role in my life. I leave her a love note. I'll later find it stuck to the fridge with a magnet and any errors circled in red ink.

@Fino

The point I am trying to illustrate is that when someone provides zero context and unsolicited career advice, it comes across as questionable.

Communication is a huge part of one's work experience and a part where many autistics struggle, yet here is a post riddled with issues offering advice...

Presentation matters. Typos happen. Minor grammar errors happen. The reason I spoke up: There are six improperly capitalized nouns within the first sentence.

How we write tells a lot about context, about the reliability of a resource.

It takes ten seconds to fix an incorrect capital letter, someone doesn't bother with that small step, what bigger issues are going to be missed?

Little things, details build foundations. Writing is an extension of the individual. How one approaches it is very much akin to a first impression.

And this first impression is a big red flag given the presentation.

In order for advice to be functional, it needs to be understandable, usable, but it also has to come from a reliable source. People listen to those we trust or respect, not the random stranger on the street.

Approach the work from an objective standpoint and address the issues on the clarity and effectiveness of the post, not the poster.

Basic critique. What doesn't word and why, and solutions for consideration.

The post fails to effectively communicate with the majority of readers. It is something that can be corrected with some basic editing and a few minutes of work.

One point of yours almost sounds like satire. The reason there is capitalization at the beginning of the post is because they are options in a poll. It's perfectly logical. The only error is inconsistency. And you become increasingly pedantic when you count the amount of the capitalizations you disapprove of, as if six separate mistakes have been made. Additionally, after belaboring five points over his writing, you then say, "Nothing wrong with that," followed by what exactly is wrong with that. It's as if you were hired to be a critic, only no one did so. This was a new member, and this was their only post. We, as a forum, have failed to welcome them, with you as our representative.

And you become increasingly pedantic when you count the amount of the capitalizations you disapprove of, as if six separate mistakes have been made.
The problem with having ASD isn't that we enjoy living by a more rigid set of rules than most NTs, the problem is that we all have different rules and want everyone else to use them. :grinning:

It is six occurrences of the same mistake. Grammar mistakes happen, typos happen, but from past context a minimum 12% skew in a group of under 50 words is a huge indicator of spammers.

This is an individual offering an 'advice service'.

Zero context, zero background, zero explanation...not even a vague hello. It goes straight into the question and request with results to be 'shared collectively'.

Look at the formats used (the approach and presentation itself) by other members looking to do research or polls. They are clear with their purposes, sources, and who is doing the survey, and why.

It is the inclusion of basic purpose and context that makes the difference.

Consider how you purchase something at the store or order at a restaurant. As much as people hate to do it, that little bit of civility makes a big difference and a bigger impact in how the individual is received by others.

Start off with a demand for information with nothing offered at the start, not even a rudimentary hello, people will baulk, and respond with the same type of energy in return. In this case, a healthy dose of suspicion.

That is basic human nature, not failure.

Think about the person who budges in line, cutting you off and expecting no one to say anything about it.

Some animals instinctively avoid certain people because they sense something. And a lot of the time, the suspicious dog is proven right.

Last edited:
What exactly is the intent of this post? Is it meant to be a poll? An ad for something to be revealed later? Something else?
Hi, the intent is a poll, meant to gather opinions so that I can provide the entire thread of users (asd individuals) feedback based on my experience. Hope that helps :)

Context always helps. There is a poll feature that will allow you to set up an actual survey for more accurate data. Formatting also helps to clarify things.

Many autistics can be hyperspecific about communication. (Black and white thinking and very literal about things.)

You're presenting a project to the public, concise communication is essential, especially when dealing with a demographic that is literally defined by communication deficits.

Last edited:
@Darkkin : I have always been dubbed a grammar.. err.. authority lets say, though never found it valid. I need to come to you for analysis sometime as you seem rather impeccable in attention to, far more qualified.

As for the poll, I am rather befuddled.. I am lost as to how to interpret ‘How confident are you finding work?’
First I see ‘..are you -at- finding work?’ but seems possibly inaccurate.. but then it’s difficult to discern what actually is meant..

How confident are you in your abilities at work? How confident are you that you have a job security? How confident are you that you can find a job? I don’t mean to be specific but what’s asked just doesn’t compute for me.

In trying to respond, I am confident in my abilities and skills yet insecure in how I appear while doing so.

I am confident I can always find work yet uneasy to move away from what I know.

I am confident I have job security yet nervous that that is holding me back.

I am confident I’ll never be fired again but as well have only ever been fired from one job, to which I am now associate of, friend, client and employer to that same person, and have been self-employed majority of my life because of social discrepancies and societal expectations.

I don’t know if any of that answers what you ask, but it is my attempt. Cheers.

@Jeepcarpenter

I proofread business plans for the lady I rented from during undergrad. Made decent money doing it to. Language had to be concise.

Non-fiction writing is a technical skill (e.g. polls, projects, business plans, research papers, service presentations, sales pitches) and tends to follow a more linear format than fictional or colloquial (e.g. memoirs, biographies) formats.

Templates for such projects are usually readily available. There is a reason writers will tell you, read the genre you want to write. Know what is on the market and be conscious of how similar work is presented.

It is the difference between passive skimming and conscious interaction and comprehension.

If a writer gets a reader thinking critically (actual source of the word critique come from the roots of critical (in depth) thought, not criticism (fault finding without logic, observation, and suggestions to take into consideration.)

On an forum, we are all writers. How and what we write will affect how we are perceived and received. There are multiple forms of intelligence, some of which, don't show to an advantage in a written medium.

You can be a mechanical guru or exceptionally skilled with math and spatial reasoning and have poor grammar. It is a very common theme among neurodivergents, very uneven learning profiles. Peaks and valleys.

And it is the uneven profiles this that can make finding and keeping a job a huge struggle for NDers as whole, not just autistics.

Studies show that up to 80% of autistics are unemployed or under employed (way more skilled than the job requires). The statistics that are harder to find are accurate numbers of autistics who are ASD 1, ASD 2, and ASD 3.

Between 25 - 50% of autistics are nonverbal (and that number is gradually declining, most recent numbers being much closer to 25 - 40% than the blanket 50%), but this doesn't mean the individual's comprehension or other intellectual abilities are going to be affected. What will be impacted is the individual's preceived functionality within society. That percentage is a big part of that 80% statistic.

Hard Landings by McGovern is a book from August of 2021 that takes a look at autistics dealing with high support needs and intellectual disabilities as they age out of the social support programs. (Ages 18 - 21).

Last edited:
You acknowledge that any autistic people have communication deficits and struggle with grammar yet at the same time demand perfection. I'm confused.

New Threads

Top Bottom