• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How can people tell?

I have noticed that when I meet people, they can immediately tell that I am not an NT and that there is something "weird" about me, and they treat me accordingly.
People will carry on normal conversations with my mum, but once I am part of the equation they get very uncomfortable and often rude. People stare at me and give dirty looks frequently. I am often a recipient of nasty comments.
I try very hard to come across as a regular person and not be awkward but people can always tell.
I am not sure if people can tell I'm on the spectrum or another possibility is that they can tell I am gay. Either way I am really offended by the way they treat me.
Has anyone else had this experience?
This used to happen to me a lot. I think it might have been my form of eye contact and body language - it was also in my clothing/appearance, my demeanor and facial expressions. I have learned to transform these things somewhat - I get more positive/normal responses, but there are always those who inexplicably hate me. I don't know if those are just the "haters gonna hate" people or if they are still picking up on something they don't like. Those types complain that I am arrogant or cold. It leads to very difficult situations, but my hands are tied as to how the heck much I can do to come off as normal, you just can't please everyone.

Now....once I start talking, I have noticed that people will begin to think of me as a child or adolescent, and treat me that way. I hate that. But I think it is the way I express myself - stress makes it "worse" (i.e. I am too true to myself, not masking as well). But I hate how that feels, and I may work on how to not sound like a teenager when speaking. I have recently accepted that I am emotionally years, maybe decades, behind my actual age - so I'm guessing that is what is causing this issue.

I'm 57-years-old and it has been that way my entire life. Aspies don't operate like NT's. Some of us have developed the ability to move in the NT world and emulate them, but that still doesn't change the fact that we're an Aspie.

The one thing I've noticed over the years is that I have never seen a group of Aspies with a herd mentality like NT's. Oh, you may see Aspies together, but they tend to think and operate independently. NT's, on the other hand, are prone to fall into the herd mentality trap. One will think something, express it, and then another, and another, and . . .

If it's different to them, they will react and act out like the herd. It reminds me of the time I cared for some friends' animals. They had some mallard ducks in the menagerie with one duck being a little different. It had an odd foot, but it looked otherwise "normal." The other ducks picked up on that and they would peck at the duck, keep it from eating, and were just mean. It was amazing and yet very disturbing to see, because the ducks were acting in concert against the one duck because it was different. I would spray the other ducks with the hose so the "odd duck" would be able to eat, because I had an odd understanding of what it was experiencing.
Yes, yes, yes - I only wish I had understood this earlier. I think even if they didn't sense any "oddness" about us, the very fact that we aren't of the herd mentality can make us seem like a threat. Also, the fact that most of us don't play the social climbing game that I think many of them instinctively do can leave us at the bottom of the ladder. I think a lot of the disgust and disappointment I experienced from my family was due to the fact that I wasn't into the herd mentality.

On a separate note: As mentioned earlier by another poster, I think that "inserting" ourselves into conversations (without realizing we are not jumping in at the right time or in the right way or with the right person, etc.) can make people feel downright hostile towards us. Also, treating everyone as equals is viewed negatively. There is some kissing up that is very much expected of you, otherwise you consider yourself superior. And it's not just those who are to be kissed up to that care - surprisingly, it's those other butt-kissers who consider themselves inferior who get upset when you don't also kiss butts. Sometimes those who are higher up really don't care about being fawned over. They are often confident enough to not care. It's those who are insecure, above and below, who care, imho.

Hey, Jet, i'm gay too. I aslo get offended by the rudeness of certain people, i didn't know what to do, so i decided to write anonymously about this situations to random newspapers, in may case it really changed a lot in my relationships with some people. I started to feel more confident. I think that some people should know their place, i guess.

Since I always have been in a bit of a traumatic husslebussle throughout my life, another thought I have on this is the process of projection and projective identification by the empathetic unit of the brain. It is useful to have a look at this, as all humans apply it all communicational situations, if they want to or not - mostly unnoticed, or rather noticed in a subtle way: such as a feeling of attraction to someone. it is useful to learn about one's own self functions in these terms, and it is also very useful to dig into the projective activities of others: because you are affected by what the other projects into you, too, so it is good and reassuring to learn how others see things. they are rarely as consious of themselves as one expect: often the run along with their intuition and never reconsider anything. In my experience NT people project and also interpret many things by social significance - AS do not do this much, and thus the other NT may also feel uncomfortable because you seem to be overlooking him. this is not always of positive effect to you, many times it is not - and you may relate such projections to you wrongly: they are if anything the other persons feelings, and you are not responsible for these.

projection is a seen as a transferral of a part of the inner self - aiming at a target in the outside, thus projecting either a part of the self, or a desire of the self into the other, which is why we seek what we lack not within ourself but within in the otherself - at least if we are able by projective means =) which I am not. I stick to objects. Btw: If you take a liking to objects, you are sort of projecting and answering your own projection in the desired object. besides this, if you are impaired in mentalizing/theory of mind applying such at very low and simple level, than it may happen that conflictings parts of your self are subconscioussly projected outwards, yet not into other people but all sorts of things: spiders, night frights and boogeymen, the dark, diffuse anxiety or feel of threat of no concrete relatedness..

projective identification is going a step further: this is that you make the other answer/react to your conscioussly or unconscioussly projected part of self/desire of self by means of how you behave. If you feel the threat of social exclusion/rejection looming up, steaming from those you are in short time to socialize with, you may be aggressive/angry on the inside. unaware of it you may subtly/half openly display correlating defensive signs - perceived intuitively by others and by this you may urge them to react to you, according your inner expectations. I think this is a bit of problem in people with AS, if of a constitution lacking self-esteem, confident appearance and social skill, bad experiences and social/shame-fears - the appear in ways being either bate or obstacle. Still this nothing compared to the projective raging roar by those of the BS, the borderline-spectrum - such half willing half unwilling make you borderline, too, and this in little time, if you try bonding with them =)

as by the self-projective contense there is a lot to learn about what is in the self - but usually hidden from view. it is like interpreting one's shadowed inner conflicts, thinking the outwards projected as direct or indirect/transformed reflection of the inner. I have spent the last 10 to 15 years on these phenomena as they were increasingly bothering me from early adolescence on, becoming later to manage only by strict self-regulation. I think people with AS do better at differentiating self projective misconceptions both within their own thinking, but also perceiving such in others. it takes some practice and knowledge of the common interpretive and responsive patterns, that among NT and AS are usually enmeshed with either self - those of AS generally tending to be subtly passiv-aggressive, aggressive, defensive, mistrusting or self-deluding and self-devalueting. it very much depends your personality: the more mud went into, the more mud comes out of it - one way or another, since one must be compulsively and overly self-aware to obstruct the mud from mudding your white shirt.

>> examples of projective self:

1. a codependent conflict you may experience as that you would angrily like to tell someone what you reoally think of him/her. for example, he/she seems to be obstructing you in your life - but somehow you can't say it, raging on the inside only. such a relation may be the strong needing of acceptance by that person, a mother/father i.e., but because of you were hurt, too, you feel rejected - and by guilt/shame forcedly bonded to a person

2. the last six months I have been foaming and raging in constant fight, fighting many tricky double binds and codependent infiltration of my self - by which I felt inferior, bonded and guilty of something to everyone I knew. yet, my razor-sharp dissociated ego probing my deeply mistrusted, dissociative self cut the chains that held me - a self which I fundamentally dissected for the many crooked twistings of false-truths hiding therein, and while I was doing so it threw at me all it had to offer in terms of defenses - all types of delusions, great states of mania, deep dark depression, haunting paranoid suspicions, sleepless nights burning hot and winding under floods of shame, endless projections of self-disvalue and being a good laugh for them, the alright people I had been forced to worship by denial of AS-symptoms - exposure panic and dissociation, intrusive ideas and thoughts of friends and family turning away from me in disgust, while craving to stay in this abusive lifelong and malignent symbiotic identifiction being forced NT.

If you feel very insecure and awkward you will be suspicious that the other will display such an impression of you. If then you have an amount of guilt and/or especially shame in you, that impacts your sense of self this may blurr your perception to great extent, in negative self-relation. such shame or guilt you would either feel conscious or more likely unconscious / as dissociated shame or guilt, becoming apparent to the ego as compensative defenses. (such as inner/openly displayed aggression, feelings of arrogance/superiority and prior-to-meeting devalueation of the other, moody or sinister or emotionally flat appearance, display of defensive mannerisms: straightforward stare | shifting position uncomfortably because of social axiety/social mistrust caused by self-related projection of threat | dodging any eye contact | looking at floor rather than at the other | firmly folded arms before chest | coming in onto a situation in an interruptive manner | not introducing, lack of display of interest | lack or absence of smile =) etc....

Last edited:
my father recently told me (i'm 40+ now) that talking with me is difficult, he explained that talking to me feels like being scanned and analysed, that it is very difficult to tell from my face if i'm serious, sad, joking, etc, he also said that i have a tendency make people ware of their weaknesses and to hold a mirror up to their faults

i try to be careful, being very aware has its downfalls, it is possible that i am assuming that i know what everyone else is thinking about me, but i have learned that my assumptions are not always correct, this self awareness happens so quickly that i myself am effectively making conversations very difficult

so on the one hand i know that i make people uncomfortable, on the other hand i have learned to be careful to not assume that i know what other people think about me,

so i only talk to people that i do feel comfortable with and that i trust to tell me without malice when i am being hurtful

You will get this if you dress or style yourself in an unconventional manner, and it's not at all related to being on the spectrum. My sister is NT but she likes to express her personality with a unique sense of style, she has facial piercings and changes up her hair color/style frequently. People would treat me like the normal one in the very beginning (I am a practical dresser), and treat her like the 'weird' one (purely due to her sense of style), but after a short while (and after having talked to both of us), this gets reversed quickly! It becomes apparent that I'm the 'eccentric' one, and she is 'artsy' and 'rebellious', but otherwise 'normal' in terms of being able to socialize and carry on conversations smoothly. No one can tell whether one is an Aspie or not from first impressions. Our speech patterns, mannerisms, behaviors and body language is what gives us away ultimately, and it doesn't happen immediately. My experience with people is very much reversed from yours, where people would be very nice in the beginning, and then later on they seem to get all awkward and uncomfortable when I'm around.

You will get this if you dress or style yourself in an unconventional manner, and it's not at all related to being on the spectrum. My sister is NT but she likes to express her personality with a unique sense of style, she has facial piercings and changes up her hair color/style frequently. People would treat me like the normal one in the very beginning (I am a practical dresser), and treat her like the 'weird' one (purely due to her sense of style), but after a short while (and after having talked to both of us), this gets reversed quickly! It becomes apparent that I'm the 'eccentric' one, and she is 'artsy' and 'rebellious', but otherwise 'normal' in terms of being able to socialize and carry on conversations smoothly. No one can tell whether one is an Aspie or not from first impressions. Our speech patterns, mannerisms, behaviors and body language is what gives us away ultimately, and it doesn't happen immediately. My experience with people is very much reversed from yours, where people would be very nice in the beginning, and then later on they seem to get all awkward and uncomfortable when I'm around.

This happens to me, too. Nice at first, i seem to fit in, then it's a sudden turn and I don't know why.

I have noticed that when I meet people, they can immediately tell that I am not an NT and that there is something "weird" about me, and they treat me accordingly.
People will carry on normal conversations with my mum, but once I am part of the equation they get very uncomfortable and often rude. People stare at me and give dirty looks frequently. I am often a recipient of nasty comments.
I try very hard to come across as a regular person and not be awkward but people can always tell.
I am not sure if people can tell I'm on the spectrum or another possibility is that they can tell I am gay. Either way I am really offended by the way they treat me.
Has anyone else had this experience?

My partner figured it out a while ago, and talked to me about it shortly before my diagnosis. Our daughter was diagnosed years ago, so my partner just figured things out by default. Our families are clueless, they don't know anything about autism but think everyone is a "Young Sheldon" or "Rain Man" - who fits those stereotypes? Mostly everyone thinks I'm weird, rude, aloof, socially awkward and ignorant. And that's just our families. My partner and our kids know otherwise.
I've given up on people. No patience for them.

What people are detecting is the effects of anxiety. It's human nature to be uncomfortable around people who act differently because they have no way of knowing what's wrong with that person. Somene could be seriously mentally disturbed and want to harm them. It's the same reason people mask their symptoms - they're afraid those fictional "NTs" they see as different might want to harm them.

I felt exactly the same way as OP and had the same experience throughout my life. After I overcame my anxiety, I acted more normally and people now treat me the same as everyone else. It had nothing to do with "NTs" detecting autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom