• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How can I help autistic and BD son [19] understand discretion (including talking)?

Diana09

I'm sorry this is long. I appreciate those who bear with me. I am a single mom.

My 19 yo has aspergers and behavior disorders, mostly due to anxiety. He doesn't understand discretion. He misunderstands a lot or doesn't comprehend at all.

He has a counselor at his daycare who is helping him control his tone and inside voice. He doesn't understand public vs private. Such as, using profanity or getting overexcited and yelling in public. Or private conversation, such as what's appropriate to say to me and what is not. If he gets hurt or something gets broken or something similar, he won't tell me about it. He will hold conversations when the other person is not talking to him, or when there is no room for it. I will help him get in the bathtub and leave the room, and he'll talk to me through the house. I sometimes help him wash up because he will just ramble and play with the water. He talks to objects, especially when observing or sorting, and he'll talk to pictures of people looking at the camera (despite knowing they are not real). He is very TMI with people he barely knows.

Recently, we had a talk about masturbation, because he brought it up to me. Now he will ramble on to me about perineal business/sexual events when it is not appropriate or necessary for me to know. He does understand that he cannot touch himelf unless he is at home, but he does not fully follow the "alone" part. He will touch himself with me or my parents in the room, and only stop if I ask. He understands talking about it, and who can touch him. The only people who can touch his privates are at daycare when helping him change his pads or underwear, or his doctor when I'm there, and myself. The only people he can talk about it to are me, or an authority in private.

He thinks his feet are genitals. At daycare or when family/my friends come over, he wont take socks off, and usually keeps his shoes on. He won't let anyone touch his feet except me. He is just as strict, or even more strict than, with his actual genitals. I don't know why, and he can't explain it.

At daycare, he has a specific nurse, and then a substitute if she is busy or gone. He doesn't get the idea of a specific private person. If he messes his pad, he'll just go to his monitors and ask them to change him.

I don't want to do anything that'll repress him or enable.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom