• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hospital Food

Do you like hospital food?

• Yes, I love the Stuff

• It's OK but I woudn't eat it for each and every meal / only eat hospital food when in hospital

• I don't know / have never been in hospital

• I cannot stand the hospital food!

Results are only viewable after voting.

cfleischmann

V.I.P Member
Greetings Everyone:

I know for me I love hospital food. the reason why is because it's consistent and I really love consistency. I don't understand the why as to why hospital food (at least in California, United States) gets such a bad wrap. I often joke about the (fictional) "hospital food of the month" club where I could subscribe on a monthly, or yearly basis to get frozen hospital food breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks delivered to my door for one set price then all I need to do is microwave when ready to eat and it's just like hospital food without all the hassle of going to the hospital with a valid illness.

Do you like hospital food? Why or why not? Does lack of food consistency bother you?

I stayed in hospital for an operation and tests for about 5 days, and tried the cuisine. It was ok as long as it wasn't something I don't eat, like eggs. A bit bland; I actually like spicy food. Not nearly as bad as some of the other patients claimed it to be. Mine was varied, something different each day, but the patient in the bed next to mine complained bitterly that she had been given the same food every day because she was diabetic. Chicken and mashed potato. Every day for the past two weeks, lunch and dinner. I wouldn't have liked that. Some people on the spectrum like to eat the same food each day, but I'm not one of them :) When I was in hospital I was very much focused on the meals as a way of coping with the situation and environment.

Hospital food depends on the caterers and so varies from hospital to hospital. Every hospital will be different. I'm not sure what you mean by food consistency, but it was similar to food you might get in a canteen or some restaurants even. It really wasn't bad at all. I've had worse in restaurants.

On the occasions I've been in hospital I've been too poorly to give much consideration to the food they serve.

General anaesthetic makes me really unwell and I usually come out of hospital at least 7lbs lighter than when I went in.

l stayed in the second highest revenue grossing hospital in the US located in LA( in Beverley Hills). The food was great, l stayed one more night because the bed was as good as a 5 star hotel bed. Plus l couldn't really walk without crutches so it was nice. Guess it depends on what hospital it is.....

Eh. Been a long time since my last hospital visit. May it be longer still to my next one. As for food i only had a limited experience many years ago.

It's alright. I had awful tilapia when I was in the hospital but the chicken was quite good. I like tofu but hospitals don't usually have that. I tend to eat the same foods consistently but they aren't hospital foods. I don't mind new foods, I more keep it consistent just to make shopping easier.

Not feeling well probably makes the food seem worse than it really is. It could also be the icky atmosphere, bad smells etc in the hospital environment. I read about an experiment on food presentation that found people thought the exact same food tasted better when it was served in nicer surroundings, with nice dishes etc compared to a noisy cafeteria setting with paper plates.

I am lucky with my health and have only had 1 night in a hospital, 40 years ago, can't recall the food. I went with a friend a while back, but it was a day procedure, however they gave me some delicious toast and butter while I was waiting, and also offered sandwiches for us later, everything was very nice.

Oh yuck. I have cancer and was in the hospital a couple months ago with a pulmonary embolism.

They had me on a "consistent carb, low sodium" diet, which meant most of the menu items were off the list. All I could eat were bland, fat free, salt free piles of plop.

Even the breakfast items (usually the yummiest on the menu) were gross.

I ate my first serving of sausage and eggs that I have ever hated in my entire life in the hospital. Instead of sausage and eggs, it tasted like water and water.

And the chicken noodle soup which I craved so much tasted like boiled celery in water.

But you know what, you can't go wrong with the turkey sandwiches they keep up in the nurse's station. Mmmm or a nice roast beef.

Can't go wrong with jello.

And It is nice to have tea, juice, milk, and water delivered all at once. Makes it feel real schmancy.

In my experience hospital food is poor fare and always comes in minute portions.

If you can afford it, get on Just Eat and get a curry delivered. Or maybe Chinese. Or pizza...

I can't bring myself to trust the preparation.
(because it's not me doing it)

I tried hospital once. I was quite poorly at the time.
I don't think I'll bother with it again. It's not for me :)

I think most people criticize hospital food because it's so bland. But I prefer bland, so I don't have a problem with is.

well I think no matter your views expressed here I have gained a lot on insight.

one of my support people got hold of hospital food recipes from a legit hospital just by calling them up and asking them to mail the stuff out to me so I'm going to have fun with that :)

Its not much different from food from highschool cafeteria, at least in the psyche ward.Its not the best food in the world but its not horrible either, its alright.

Last edited:
Jail food is about the same as hospital food preserved fruit in high fructose corn syrup in a plastic container, box of milk to drink, about the same as high school cafeteria food.

It's been a long time since I've been in the hospital, thank goodness, but it depends. If I was recovering from surgery I didn't usually have much of an appetite anyway. When I was put in the mental health ward I could barely swallow food because of side effects from what drug of the month they put me on, like this one kind that made my mouth dry out completely and no amount of water or ice chips moistened it. It was torture. I'd often lose weight after being in the hospital, which in itself wasn't such a bad thing. But being in the mental ward was pure torture. I felt trapped and like I was really going to die.:coldsweat:

New Threads

Top Bottom