• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Horrible mark with Sateesh Mane's class

Ephraim Becker

V.I.P Member
I got a horrible mark in my makeup exam in Sateesh Mane's Introduction To Programming class. I got a 25 out of 100 on this exam and it's not clear what I did wrong. Here's the code:
Midterm 1 makeup exam
These are Sateesh Mane's comments on my exam: in-class score used for Midterm 1 Q1 25 Q2 0 (not print grade F, prints loop 0,101,3 inside query for name, copy and paste not use grade() fcn) Q3 0 (not use %, wrong answer a = 9007200006305033, b = 5) Q4 0 (not use %, print loop inside query for single year Q5 0 (not do)
I feel very embarrassed because I work as a computer programmer for 3 years already and i'm very good at computer programming.
Here's my GitHub for all my coding projects:
EphraimB - Overview
Is there any way to dispute this or should I just drop college?

why are you looking at this as a drop college thing? It's one grade in one class. And based on your code and his comments you got the grade you earned.

Those instructions my professor gives are not clear as well. What did I do wrong in my code?

Did you look at my code?

Attachments

• 1_MCON141_Midterm1_makeup.pdf
    130.8 KB · Views: 145
Find a tutor. Ask the prof for what where you derailed. Drop out and get a different instructor. Or drop out and retake next semester. If you like coding you will figure out the correct coding. Don't let one teacher send you to hall of shame. Some people made a lot of errors then got it together. That is totally me. lol

I got a horrible mark in my makeup exam in Sateesh Mane's Introduction To Programming class. I got a 25 out of 100 on this exam and it's not clear what I did wrong. Here's the code:
Midterm 1 makeup exam
These are Sateesh Mane's comments on my exam: in-class score used for Midterm 1 Q1 25 Q2 0 (not print grade F, prints loop 0,101,3 inside query for name, copy and paste not use grade() fcn) Q3 0 (not use %, wrong answer a = 9007200006305033, b = 5) Q4 0 (not use %, print loop inside query for single year Q5 0 (not do)
I feel very embarrassed because I work as a computer programmer for 3 years already and i'm very good at computer programming.
Here's my GitHub for all my coding projects:
EphraimB - Overview
Is there any way to dispute this or should I just drop college?
If you can't figure out where you went wrong, try a different major. People switch majors all the time. I went from computer programming to business to biology to electronics to literature and ended up with a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies with a minor in labor law (!!!) and a concentration in science and technology. IMHO, it is not a bad degree. I enjoyed the variety and it doesn't lock you in place. There are plenty of jobs out there where having the degree is what counts and not what it is in.

If I could have, I would have preferred a degree in a hard science and gone on to a master's and then a doctorate. And when I hired into Lockheed I would have made beaucoup bucks as an engineer or perhaps gone for an even more exciting job in fundamental research in astronomy or particle physics. But instead, I hired in at the lowest level and never really went anywhere. It was still well worth the effort.

The #1 thing is to get info on WHY you go the grade you did. Not so much what was wrong with your code... instead, what they THINK is wrong with your code. Their ideas may be correct, or they may not be. One way or another, it's their rules and perceptions that ACTUALLY define the grading system... not whether or not any of what they think is actually true.

Now that being said, something I've learned is that style and organization is another aspect of coding that some instructors get a bit uppity over.

Really though it could be anything.

I can tell you though, something that seems a bit off to me when looking at it, is the high amount of "else" or "else if" statements in there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that approach is highly inefficient and is to be avoided.

Not that I'm super knowledgable. I have some game-dev experience, but any "code" I write is a hideous spaghetti mess.

That's something you need to take up with your class instructor, not people here, some of whom have no interest in coding. I have coded before (mostly as a hobby though, nothing major or serious) but not in Python and I didn't take your class so I can't give a lot of input, but running the code and getting incorrect results after several tests is the first sign that something isn't working. Ask them personally about it and after that, all you can do is to adhere to THEIR rules and learn from your mistakes.

Also, I checked out your GitHub and wow...I tried learning x86 assembly at one point and that was something else altogether. Emphasis on "tried". I doubt z80 would have been any easier. For the TI graphing calculators, right? That's pretty impressive!

Last edited:
Interesting to google this professor's name. Lots of "colorful" comments. :eek:

Seems a lot of students have run into difficulties over his teaching style. One thing for sure, you dare not submit test answers that in any way imply any sort of plagiarism. Something this professor doesn't take lightly.

While the link provided below refers to a past exam, it appears this particular website might be of some use to the OP in answering questions from accessible online tutors about this latest exam.

https://www.coursehero.com/file/32498406/CS361-761-final-pt3-Aug2018pdf/

Last edited:
I forgot to say but I got a 75 in midterm 2 and got a B as my overall grade. I'm registered in advanced programming class with Sateesh Mane as well.

PS. Sateesh Mane saw this thread.

New Threads

Top Bottom