• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nemo

Open mind, guarded heart
Up front:
This has nothing to do with my aspergers. I'm posting it here because I know that most of you are smarter than me and maybe you knew/know the lingo better than I do. Also because you guys are nicer about everything than everyone else.

Anyways, I have an extension essay on a novel. It says the following:
Your response should clearly articulate your understanding of the novel as well as the contemporary social issues relevant to the novel’s themes.
I don't really understand how I should "articulate my understanding of the novel" in relation to a 600 word essay?

could you write in 600 words what you understand the novel was about think about a picture tell them what you see
are there people trying to live on barely nothing at working for slave wages or not getting paid

astounded that it meant anything at all
im like you essays were a blank i think because of panic ,but my mam(mom) had an English degree so there was English all the time books and trying and failing to make me like her
she was a good sketch artist so that was more natural to me
tell me what the novels title is

"Your response should clearly [FORM] your understanding of the novel as well as the [of the present time; modern] social issues relevant to the novel’s themes."

So from that they're asking (to my understanding) you to say what you think the novel is about and relate today's social problems to those during novel's set time period. That's essentially what they're asking you to do.

Christ, you need a ****ing dictionary just to work out the question!

Up front:
Your response should clearly articulate your understanding of the novel as well as the contemporary social issues relevant to the novel’s themes.

I think that you are being asked the following:
What is the Novel about? What happens in the Novel and what is it trying to say?
Are there any underlying themes / observations that the Novel discusses that can be applied to problems that exist in society today.

Out of interest, what is the Novel that you are being asked to write about?

I can't help you much as I really struggled with English as I read everything and surface value. All I can suggest is speaking to SENco, TA or class teacher to get help.

Up front:
This has nothing to do with my aspergers. I'm posting it here because I know that most of you are smarter than me and maybe you knew/know the lingo better than I do. Also because you guys are nicer about everything than everyone else.

Anyways, I have an extension essay on a novel. It says the following:
I don't really understand how I should "articulate my understanding of the novel" in relation to a 600 word essay?
I always straight up failed assignments like these. They didn't make any sense at all. I didn't know about my asd when I was in school so hopefully you can find a way around it.

600 words does not allow much development space.

I try to find an idea, quote, character trait, literary devices that intrigue me.

I am more easily able to write if I find a hook for my interests.

I concur with the others about what the essay task is.

Good luck.

Your response should clearly articulate your understanding of the novel
[say what you think the book was about, what it meant]

as well as the contemporary social issues relevant to the novel’s themes.

[describe some current events that illustrate the meaning of the book]

Does it say anything more specific? I understand if you think that request is too general. The novel in what way? It wants you to do literary criticism, but it doesn't say in what aspect. If it gives more specific instruction, then look at that. If not, ask your teacher what kind of literary criticism s/he wants.

Thanks guys. I think I understand it better now. The novel is set in the present; the book is Looking for Alaska. It's one of my favourite books. It has a bit more: I'm defending it against the ALA's reasons for its censorship. I only put the bit there as it was the part I didn't understand.

New Threads

Top Bottom