• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

History of Psychiatry/History of Autism

Timeline of autism
  • 1908: The German psychiatrist Eugene Bleuler coined the term “autism” to describe symptoms of some severe schizophrenia cases. Autism described as retreating to the inner life to avoid facing the harshness of reality. (Which DSM?)
  • 1943: Leo Kanner, a child psychiatrist at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
  • 1944: Hans Asperger

Engage
Mostly ABA treatments and some shift away to more friendly approach.
Still no evidence other treatment of symptoms to ratify psychiatric drugs, we simply don't know enough on brain functions

My argument is that no proof that a bad childhood causes schitso and hearing of voices. That would be attachment theory and psychology vs psychiatry and reasoning even of PTSD....
To say that abuse of autistics lends to PTSD is limited because it may be that effects are more damaging in long term, and has no recognition of different physical or emotional needs in neurotypicals vs neuro-divergent.

The model of asylum and psychiatry assumes one size fits all. Proposes when doesn't fit in needs to be fixed, is invasive.
Also evidence in history of self harm so even if autism is more frequent now it's not to say it never existed just because we thought world to be flat.

I will leave you with this thought:

If hope can cause exhausted rats to swim for that long, what could a belief in yourself and your abilities, do for you?

So how is that relevant to us?

Obviously, humans are quite different from rats, but one similarity stands out: we all need a reason to keep swimming.

Albert Einstein (what Germans never tell you, wasn't educated or influenced in his own country and even left Germany for political views)

Later, they moved to Italy and Albert continued his education at Aarau, Switzerland and in 1896 he entered the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich to be trained as a teacher in physics and mathematics. In 1901, the year he gained his diploma, he acquired Swiss citizenship and, as he was unable to find a teaching post, he accepted a position as technical assistant in the Swiss Patent Office. In 1905 he obtained his doctor’s degree.
He became a German citizen in 1914 and remained in Berlin until 1933 when he renounced his citizenship for political reasons and emigrated to America to take the position of Professor of Theoretical Physics at Princeton*. He became a United States citizen in 1940 and retired from his post in 1945.

I saw no mention of Lorna Wing and her successors...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorna...ps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorna_Wing[/QUOTE]
History was written by those who won wars:
Those who disclaimed most about patent or influence were worst culprits.
This is why some of us go off the grid.

When you live in the grid, they latch onto you, when you want to leave, they panic

I do not understand your response.

Even if Asperger's name is no longer being used, Wing was the first to determine that autism is a spectrum, which continues in DSM-5.

Last edited:
Reply not uploading

Attachments

• IMG_20230219_141254_721.jpg
    IMG_20230219_141254_721.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 36
I do not understand your response.

Even if Asperger's name is no longer being used, Wing was the first to determine that autism is a spectrum, which continues in DSM-5.
It is now, but about 15 years ago before maybe even term spectrum....
Confusion over overlapping diagnosis of autism and schitsophrenia.

Now I'm anti-medication, I say use it only when necessary. With regard to schedule 5 drugs border onto medication that is harmful to your overall health, mostly long term use and side effects.
Chemotherapy I'm yet to understand my mother and I debated this other night.

Is lack or huge gaps in knowledge of medicine.....we didn't know enough
Was it a torture method
Are certain treatments n drugs worth it?

So USA entered shelf life foods, factories, radiation leaks was this why Kimo started, was it influenced by radiation of post-nuclueur warfare?

Epilepsy is example of scheduled drug....should only use this for medical reasons as allocated and I disagree on bipolar usage or that we even know caused of epilepsy.

Psychiatry has existed for ages, we know all symptoms but none of these psychiatric drugs can be explained as to why they work as simply don't know enough on how brain works. Medical infancy.

Now it's one thing to support needs of children and quite another to bear a disabled diagnosis. It can even discredit your work.

Looking at timeline from dark ages to now and how long it took to figure some things out is slow?

High IQ people will generally absorb far more information and remember it for purposes of recall and attaining greater insight and knowledge. The vast bulk of the people on this planet do not fit under this criteria.

The average IQ is about 100. Those with a high IQ around 130 upwards.

Somebody with an average IQ will not be able to relate or connect with somebody of high intelligence and vice versa. It’s not absolutely impossible, but highly unlikely.

This question is somewhat leading because it suggests as a given fact that high IQ people are ‘weird’. The problem with this word ‘weird’ is that it’s asked from the position of a person who is of an average IQ.

You could equally flip the question on its head and ask ‘Why are average/low IQ people so weird? But the same principle would apply. It’s being asked from the position of a person who is of a high IQ.

High IQ people set themselves apart from the masses. They exist outside of the norm because the ‘norm’ is based on the average, not the exceptional.

High IQ people have superior cognitive abilities in terms of assimilating data/information and being able to connect the dots more accurately and effectively than the average person. Furthermore, highly intelligent people are very adept at being able to connect information with ideas which is of immeasurable value in itself.

The average IQ simply cannot compete with the higher IQ. There is a massive difference between both schools of inquiry and thought. Using words like ‘weird’ carry a negative connotation because they can be applied to anybody that we think of as different to ourselves.

Hope this helps

Do you believe in weaponized autism?
“Weaponized Autism” is an expression referring to the impressive capabilities of socially awkward, tech-savvy internet users, typically associated with those who frequent imageboards like 4chan and 8chan. — Weaponized Autism
Weaponized autism does not (necessarily) refer to actual autism, and is used as a general metaphor regarding a certain group of people. It makes a light (and non-offensive IMO) joke about autism by referencing the general ability of some people with autism to focus heavily on a subject and focus on fine details, very quickly and therefore, as a group, analyzing and researching something beyond the normal capabilities expected of a group of people. It refers, generally, to situations Where some intense focus, analysis, or research is performed by a bunch of internet ‘nerds’ to accomplish a generally pretty astounding task that professional organizations might take much longer trying to accomplish.
So yes, I believe in it, but I don’t believe it’s generally referring to actual autism. That would be a far more powerful weapon (assuming the people with autism specifically were capable of communicating and focusing on the given subject)!

Now I'm anti-medication, I say use it only when necessary.
There is no recommended medicine for ASD, itself, just its co-morbids. And such is prescribed for NTs who have the same conditions. Sometimes, doctors will say that they are treating ASD, when in fact, they are treating co-morbid ADHD and other conditions.
The average IQ is about 100. Those with a high IQ around 130 upwards.

Somebody with an average IQ will not be able to relate or connect with somebody of high intelligence and vice versa. It’s not absolutely impossible, but highly unlikely.
You are describing the difficulties found in the gifted community, which is another form of neuro-divergence. It is a different condition, but there is a lot of overlap because the neurological asymmetry common among gifties can be extreme enough to meet ASD thresholds. A higher percentage of gifties are ASD than found in non-gifties. ASD & giftedness are related conditions, but one can have either without the other.

There is no recommended medicine for ASD, itself, just its co-morbids. And such is prescribed for NTs who have the same conditions. Sometimes, doctors will say that they are treating ASD, when in fact, they are treating co-morbid ADHD and other conditions.

You are describing the difficulties found in the gifted community, which is another form of neuro-divergence. It is a different condition, but there is a lot of overlap because the neurological asymmetry common among gifties can be extreme enough to meet ASD thresholds. A higher percentage of gifties are ASD than found in non-gifties. ASD & giftedness are related conditions, but one can have either without the other.
Of course without comorbids, one is just born with a photographic memory. Without sensory issues one is just a special gift. Etc.

Let's define thus.....I come along and I have no problems, I have everything I need. Another struggling person has spent years with deciding what problem is, what issues around it and few more years to find a solution. Upon that day a supermodel takes to the stage proclaiming to everybody about this problem/solution and how they are poster child for this. Ama-zing

Ok, so theoretically after taking g cure for autism or schitso the symptom and gift would disappear together,
One would be normal and keep up with trends, say one of trends was own art or creativity, lie again to themselves. Proceed to live happily/fulfilled life.

As a male, one learn to fix cars from very young. Be a male techie brain. Study maths and mechanics etc. Present to other what we already know. High IQ
Would not be required to come up with solution we don't have, not required or tested for new ground breaking stuff.
Absolutely. (Also possibly be a womanizer)

Scenario 1
So having a normal or neurotypucal makeup this guy spent him womanizing, drinking, smoking pot, preoccupied with social norms.
After school he would return home and put on his ama-zing thinking cap and pass as regular guy with high intellect.

Scenario 2
Boy is nerd, spend most time studying. Is largely directed from family. Has foundations learnt like a parrot. Answers an IQ test that looks like school test and yay, away we go.
Given unusual or new tests he has what special gift to rely on....he has msgik glue stick

New Threads

Top Bottom