• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hikikomori

total-recoil

My research into Aspergers has lately led me to the unsual phenomenon or Hikikomori that has swept Japan. I will start by quoting the definition of Hikikomori:

"Hikikomori is similar to the social withdrawal exhibited by some people with pervasive developmental disorders (PDDs), a group of disorders that include Asperger syndrome, PDD-NOS and "classic" autism. This has led some psychiatrists to suggest that hikikomori sufferers may be affected by PDDs and other disorders that affect social integration, but that their disorders are altered from their typical Western presentation because of the social and cultural pressures unique to Japan."

Put simply, an ever increasing number of young, Japanese males have started to live the kind of lifestyle that my favourite musician Brian Wilson adopted in the seventies. This is to stay in your room all the time, give up social communication, watch T.V.. eat food in solitude and maybe surf the net. I heard of one Japanese male who drummed up some 300,000 dollars in debt, got cut off the net and finally had an explosive meltdown. In fact, I had a best friend who had Aspergers. He was a talented musician but he would board himself up in his room all day and night in this way.
Suffice it to say, Japanese psychologists don't normally connect hikikomori to the autism spectrum but recently some cases have been diagnosed as autism or aspergers in Japan.
Possibly now it's worth asking the question that is recently very pertinent to myself. Does society have a part to play in some of this? The more I consider it, the more I begin to ponder over the possibility that a huge proportion of the problems I faced in the past is connected to an inability to fit into society as it is today. And it comes as no surprise the lifestyle in Japan is probably behind the hikikomori phenomenon:

"What happens when a society?s cultural demands can no longer keep pace with the economic reality of the world? Who bears the strain and what happens when the burden becomes too much? A new disorder called ?hikikomori? has emerged in Japan over the past ten years which may provide some of the answers.

The word ?hikikomori,? literally meaning ?pulling in? or ?withdrawal,? was first introduced in 1998 by Japanese psychiatrist, Tamaki Saito in his book ?Social Withdrawal: A Neverending Adolescence.?1 In this book, Saito defined hikikomori as ?those who withdraw entirely from society and stay in their own homes for more than six months, with onset by the latter half of their twenties, and for whom other psychiatric disorders do not better explain the primary causes of this condition.?
Can Culture Create Mental Disease? The Rise of Hikikomori in Japan in the Wake of Economic Downturn

Well, as with a lot of disorders including autism, society kinda gets the disorders it asks for. I'm not saying autism is a purely cultural thing, but there obviously is a focus on it. And the other way around, I feel there is an emphasis on anything that's pretty much the opposite of what being on the spectrum is (social behaviour and demand might be one).

That being said; I believe that hikikomori is a cultural reflection from japanese society, but that's something the article already states, heh.

What I actually wonder about this phenomena (since I want to be really careful to call it a disorder) is how these people go on and about in terms of income. Granted, I live at my parents house and I might to some extent be in the early stages of hikikomori. However and do realize the following; my parents are fine with me living here and the expenses they have with me living here are some community taxes, gas/water/electricity and obviously some extra food/drink. All in all I might cost them an additional 100 to 150 a month in those expenses. And I should add, I chip in my share of groceries here and there, so I'm not "leeching" off them totally. Anyhow; I'm receiving welfare checks since I'm unemployed and all, and that in fact is a "right" I have as a citizen of my country. If I wouldn't apply for that, I'd have a problem getting by monthly. I have bills to pay (mandatory healthcare, therapy, a not so mandatory cellphone bill and so on). I wonder how these people go on and about with that. Do they hole up at their parents place and do parents pay for it all? If so, isn't that where the inherent problem lies. If there's no awareness for these people that money has to come from somewhere and it's not an "exclusive" task for parents, then it will probably persist. I mean, in my situation; I can apply for welfare checks, but that doesn't mean that I get my money and that's all there is to it. While some might believe "free money", there's some obligations, one being; "get your **** together and try to become a member of the workforce". I guess that's fair. How people that pretty much hole up for months without end get by financially puzzles me. And reading about someone who racked up 300k in debt... before I end up with such a debt, I'd have reposession at my door and if I wont answer nor have a good reason and plan to get it sorted out, I will get booted out of my house and get in trouble.

What happens when a society?s cultural demands can no longer keep pace with the economic reality of the world? Who bears the strain and what happens when the burden becomes too much?

This in fact is a thing that has been on my mind, totally unrelated to this hikikomori phenomenon.

What I however found slightly... offensive(?; for lack of a better word) is that they speak of "many hikikomori seem to lead quiet lives of isolated desperation." One may wonder if becoming hikikomori isn't a choice, and thus I don't see how it's "desperation" as such. Is it a troublesome situation? Perhaps, that depends on perspective. I'm quite sure that if you choose to shun social contacts, that you don't find it troublesome at all.

Culturally speaking one might even think Hikikomori is a counter-culture. From my understanding Japanese culture is high about honor and all. "Goin' mori" is pretty much the opposite, since in my opinion it says "screw this, I don't care what other people want and hold in high regard... in fact, I don't want to be around other people either. I can't be judged if I'm not around these people".

Lastly if you're looking into treatment to get this fixed, I believe there's a few issues at hand. From what I understand from the article, a cause of it all is an increase of unemployed of graduates, which in the long run takes them out of that cycle/routine (much like it is with anyone I guess. Be unemployed for years and getting back in it is hard... really hard). This might lay a foundation for people to become reclusive. Especially with their cultural meaning of "honor". Graduating and being shamed isn't the greatest thing I guess. But besides that; some might even want to distance themselves from society. Perhaps they are in fact, aspies (or any other autistic variety). I'm still not convinced that each and any of us in fact wants to be around people. Some of us just don't want it. And therapy will not help if people do not want to be fixed themselves. Also; with everything within a mouseclicks reach, why would you want to leave the house anymore? The constant bombardment of entertainment through the internet and/or tv (and not to mention all the other things one might indulge in) is clearly way better than any form of reality.

Just my 2 cents...

I can only suppose they live with parents but have already been stressed out with education and psyched out by the expectations of Japanese business culture. So, they switch off, board themselves up at home and withdraw. Perhaps some of them make a little money selling on e-bay from their bedrooms, hard to say. I have to remark I think you're kind of fortunate to be at your family home and don't have to worry too much about bills. I currently live on a boat, have little contact with family and have to try my best to survive at work (against the odds) to keep a roof over my head (or afloat if you prefer). Of course, I'm older now than when I lived at home and, yes, I take your point about money.
Of course, I can understand this Hikikomori mindset. I imagine these people have just switched off. Maybe it will spread, who knows?

Well, as with a lot of disorders including autism, society kinda gets the disorders it asks for. I'm not saying autism is a purely cultural thing, but there obviously is a focus on it. And the other way around, I feel there is an emphasis on anything that's pretty much the opposite of what being on the spectrum is (social behaviour and demand might be one).

That being said; I believe that hikikomori is a cultural reflection from japanese society, but that's something the article already states, heh.

What I actually wonder about this phenomena (since I want to be really careful to call it a disorder) is how these people go on and about in terms of income. Granted, I live at my parents house and I might to some extent be in the early stages of hikikomori. However and do realize the following; my parents are fine with me living here and the expenses they have with me living here are some community taxes, gas/water/electricity and obviously some extra food/drink. All in all I might cost them an additional 100 to 150 a month in those expenses. And I should add, I chip in my share of groceries here and there, so I'm not "leeching" off them totally. Anyhow; I'm receiving welfare checks since I'm unemployed and all, and that in fact is a "right" I have as a citizen of my country. If I wouldn't apply for that, I'd have a problem getting by monthly. I have bills to pay (mandatory healthcare, therapy, a not so mandatory cellphone bill and so on). I wonder how these people go on and about with that. Do they hole up at their parents place and do parents pay for it all? If so, isn't that where the inherent problem lies. If there's no awareness for these people that money has to come from somewhere and it's not an "exclusive" task for parents, then it will probably persist. I mean, in my situation; I can apply for welfare checks, but that doesn't mean that I get my money and that's all there is to it. While some might believe "free money", there's some obligations, one being; "get your **** together and try to become a member of the workforce". I guess that's fair. How people that pretty much hole up for months without end get by financially puzzles me. And reading about someone who racked up 300k in debt... before I end up with such a debt, I'd have reposession at my door and if I wont answer nor have a good reason and plan to get it sorted out, I will get booted out of my house and get in trouble.

This in fact is a thing that has been on my mind, totally unrelated to this hikikomori phenomenon.

What I however found slightly... offensive(?; for lack of a better word) is that they speak of "many hikikomori seem to lead quiet lives of isolated desperation." One may wonder if becoming hikikomori isn't a choice, and thus I don't see how it's "desperation" as such. Is it a troublesome situation? Perhaps, that depends on perspective. I'm quite sure that if you choose to shun social contacts, that you don't find it troublesome at all.

Culturally speaking one might even think Hikikomori is a counter-culture. From my understanding Japanese culture is high about honor and all. "Goin' mori" is pretty much the opposite, since in my opinion it says "screw this, I don't care what other people want and hold in high regard... in fact, I don't want to be around other people either. I can't be judged if I'm not around these people".

Lastly if you're looking into treatment to get this fixed, I believe there's a few issues at hand. From what I understand from the article, a cause of it all is an increase of unemployed of graduates, which in the long run takes them out of that cycle/routine (much like it is with anyone I guess. Be unemployed for years and getting back in it is hard... really hard). This might lay a foundation for people to become reclusive. Especially with their cultural meaning of "honor". Graduating and being shamed isn't the greatest thing I guess. But besides that; some might even want to distance themselves from society. Perhaps they are in fact, aspies (or any other autistic variety). I'm still not convinced that each and any of us in fact wants to be around people. Some of us just don't want it. And therapy will not help if people do not want to be fixed themselves. Also; with everything within a mouseclicks reach, why would you want to leave the house anymore? The constant bombardment of entertainment through the internet and/or tv (and not to mention all the other things one might indulge in) is clearly way better than any form of reality.

Just my 2 cents...

New Threads

Top Bottom