• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Higher empathy for animals?

I have to say, I love that this thread has just turned into friendly, respectful chatting after some rather heavy topics were discussed. That's what I love so much about all of you guys and why this is my permanent home! <3
I like getting back on track with things.=D

I used to do horse riding as a kid. I say horse riding, it was more like more hangIng out with him. He was pretty big too but he was so kind and so gentle and I was very sad when he died. He wasn’t my horse but I did feel like he was one.=)

When my cat died, I was in a heavy place and really struggled. It was very interesting that a lot of the university staff members who wished me well and understood the grief that I had were very supportive and empathetic. I even got referred to a grief counselor who took the time to tell me that it was okay to have the relationship connectivity with my cat. That the concept of “just an animal” and “part of the circle of life” did not fully understand the depth that people have with their connections with animals. My cat saved my life. I was in a very negative manner after being diagnosed, became suicidal, depressed and nothing that was in the form of support was helping. I was made to volunteer at this shelter and when I was volunteering at the animal Shelter, I was given this little black kitten to look after. He gave me purpose. He was my anchor. He was my buddy and would often eat my school work So i would have to redo it so it was not damaged. Didn’t think I’d ever get a cat but now I’ve had 5. I wish I had been there for him when I had to say goodbye. And I wish that I could have done more or save him from Fibrosarcoma But it was not possible with where it was. He was super smart though, very sweet and had his moments when he was boss-cat. King. A best friend with a deep connection. I feel like when he died I lost something of myself. Every day I think about him (and my other little guy) and the pain is more like a scab. He died when he was 8 from the cancer That he fought hard to beat. He would be 18 now if the cancer hadn’t taken him, so maybe he would have lived to this point. I’d like to think he would have. And would be one angry grandpa cat.

Attachments

• CD90EBB7-75F9-4889-8FCE-5A516F684AC4.jpeg
    CD90EBB7-75F9-4889-8FCE-5A516F684AC4.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 42
  • FFE2E3F1-63FE-4E26-8A22-D67477D8771E.jpeg
    FFE2E3F1-63FE-4E26-8A22-D67477D8771E.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 48
I like getting back on track with things.=D

I used to do horse riding as a kid. I say horse riding, it was more like more hangIng out with him. He was pretty big too but he was so kind and so gentle and I was very sad when he died. He wasn’t my horse but I did feel like he was one.=)

When my cat died, I was in a heavy place and really struggled. It was very interesting that a lot of the university staff members who wished me well and understood the grief that I had were very supportive and empathetic. I even got referred to a grief counselor who took the time to tell me that it was okay to have the relationship connectivity with my cat. That the concept of “just an animal” and “part of the circle of life” did not fully understand the depth that people have with their connections with animals. My cat saved my life. I was in a very negative manner after being diagnosed, became suicidal, depressed and nothing that was in the form of support was helping. I was made to volunteer at this shelter and when I was volunteering at the animal Shelter, I was given this little black kitten to look after. He gave me purpose. He was my anchor. He was my buddy and would often eat my school work So i would have to redo it so it was not damaged. Didn’t think I’d ever get a cat but now I’ve had 5. I wish I had been there for him when I had to say goodbye. And I wish that I could have done more or save him from Fibrosarcoma But it was not possible with where it was. He was super smart though, very sweet and had his moments when he was boss-cat. King. A best friend with a deep connection. I feel like when he died I lost something of myself. Every day I think about him (and my other little guy) and the pain is more like a scab. He died when he was 8 from the cancer That he fought hard to beat. He would be 18 now if the cancer hadn’t taken him, so maybe he would have lived to this point. I’d like to think he would have. And would be one angry grandpa cat.
Thank you for sharing! What a beautiful story. I'm glad you and your cat were together for those years. And I'm so happy people were respectful and understanding when you lost him. Sometimes people can be really cruel and will try to tell you "it's just a cat" or not allow you enough time to grieve.

My dogs (both past and present) have also helped me through depression, anxiety, PTSD, suicide attempts, self-harm, anorexia, medical issues, seizures, and surgeries. I get unconditional love from them that I wasn't getting from any humans. They sense when I am struggling and they take care of me.
That's why it's unfathomable to me that people could be like "Oh, it's just a dog."

This poem really encompasses how I feel about my dogs. But just a warning, I can't read it without getting emotional or crying.

991625babb2295dfe713671d0b4ab37e.jpg

My cat saved my life. I was in a very negative manner after being diagnosed, became suicidal, depressed and nothing that was in the form of support was helping. I was made to volunteer at this shelter and when I was volunteering at the animal Shelter, I was given this little black kitten to look after. He gave me purpose. He was my anchor. He was my buddy and would often eat my school work So i would have to redo it so it was not damaged. Didn’t think I’d ever get a cat but now I’ve had 5. I wish I had been there for him when I had to say goodbye. And I wish that I could have done more or save him from Fibrosarcoma But it was not possible with where it was.

I know what you mean, I wasn't doing well but then I met a dog. And she really saved me. We were together all the time, every day for 10 years. People made fun of me and her sometimes because she was very tiny and I'm a guy and tall. So we looked weird together. But it didn't matter at all. She became ill, the last week was one of the hardest things I have experienced, still struggling with it. It's amazing how these creatures can walk into our hearts and make such a big difference.

Thank you for sharing! What a beautiful story. I'm glad you and your cat were together for those years. And I'm so happy people were respectful and understanding when you lost him. Sometimes people can be really cruel and will try to tell you "it's just a cat" or not allow you enough time to grieve.

My dogs (both past and present) have also helped me through depression, anxiety, PTSD, suicide attempts, self-harm, anorexia, medical issues, seizures, and surgeries. I get unconditional love from them that I wasn't getting from any humans. They sense when I am struggling and they take care of me.
That's why it's unfathomable to me that people could be like "Oh, it's just a dog."

This poem really encompasses how I feel about my dogs. But just a warning, I can't read it without getting emotional or crying.

View attachment 94993
Same feeling for me (I highlighted the part that I’m responding to). They are so much more than just an animal. My 3 cats (and the ones in the past) know when I am sad and like this little mushroom will try to help as best they ca. He once sat down next to me and was like “I’m here”. He still does it even now, although its usually with a poke.
I know what you mean, I wasn't doing well but then I met a dog. And she really saved me. We were together all the time, every day for 10 years. People made fun of me and her sometimes because she was very tiny and I'm a guy and tall. So we looked weird together. But it didn't matter at all. She became ill, the last week was one of the hardest things I have experienced, still struggling with it. It's amazing how these creatures can walk into our hearts and make such a big difference.
Yes, when you have to say goodbye to them, it is one of the hardest things to go through. I wasn’t there for my first cat because it was so sudden and my parents felt I could stay at university and say goodbye to him on the video chat which isn’t the same but I will always remember his eyes looking at me as I said goodbye. I was there for the other little guy and that was so very painful. Even saying goodbye to my guinea pig was difficult. And discovering my rabbit ….yeah, it’s amazing how much they can come into our hearts and make such an impact on our lives.

Attachments

• 4280D503-3CD3-458C-8A51-C061ABF3E7AE.jpeg
    4280D503-3CD3-458C-8A51-C061ABF3E7AE.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 43
I have to say, I love that this thread has just turned into friendly, respectful chatting after some rather heavy topics were discussed. That's what I love so much about all of you guys and why this is my permanent home! <3
I was thinking that as I was catching up on everyone’s posts. Totally agreed!

I am really excited to read up on the history of cat/human relationships. I’ve been fascinated by the journey of wolf into domesticated dog, but never considered the story of cats.

Leela was my first best buddy in the world. I still think of her all the time. She saved me as well. Sometimes having a pet that relies on you is the one tenuous tether to keep a suicidal mind from carrying out a plan. Leela was in a fight against the world, never trusted anyone, but she decided I was okay. We were fierce friends for 14 years.

I had the chance to spend her last days with her closely, taking her to her favorite places, and just staying by her side. She was my road trip buddy and absolutely loved going for car rides. We would always go on adventures together whether it was across the country or just around my town looking for a nice quiet park. She died in the car, right next to me in her copilot seat. As sad as this all is, it is such a blessing that she left this world the way she did. She was with her best buddy doing her favorite things.

Writing this was fine, but seeing her picture still brings tears to my eyes and sadness to my heart, but I would like to show her to you guys.

1674421277159.jpeg

1674421373232.jpeg

I got her from a shelter when she was just a pup.

1674421414754.png

New Threads

Top Bottom