• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

High IQ, but Unemployed?

I have a high IQ and am a few months from completing a Master's program. I'm also very good at being way too direct and honest in my opinions and it seems that I offend some people in authority by not hiding my intelligence. Or so I've been told more than a few times (not to show up my colleagues or supervisors). I'm terrible at pretending right is wrong and wrong is right, and at understanding social cues -- so I lose jobs and friends. Academically and intellectually I kick arse, however... doesn't cross over socially, which is at least half of the professional arena. My 2 cents.

Has the IQ scale changed over time? When I was in high school, we were talking about people with a 200 IQ, and someone suggested that I might be one of them. Maybe about 15 years ago on some dating site they had an IQ test and I got 150 and they said I was like maybe 5% of the population that way. It's interesting but not important what my IQ number is, I still am good at the same things and am bad at the same things.

Reading most posts on this forum has enabled me to arrive at an obvious conclusion.
There is a strong correlation between autism and having a high IQ.
This site reads more like a mensa forum than an autistic forum.
I wonder how and if neurological sciences can explain this correlation?
This is another factor that separates me from the majority here.
I do rank high on the conscientious scale however, as my motivation to put forth my best effort has at least partly made up for my mental and physical shortcomings.

That conclusion can't be drawn due to other factors involved, such as the correlation between high I.Q. and the use of the internet, use of a forum, tendency to reply in threads on topics related to I.Q., and so on and on.

Sounds like your boyfriend learned faster than me - well done, anonymous boyfriend. I was an intolerant, intolerable know-it-all until I noticed that nobody liked it. It's been a few decades of learning to be nice. You may be the first person to call me "cool". :cool:

That's beautiful.

The first year he was exactly like you describe and I was utterly confused with the seeming like he hated me and everything i do and send but keeping me around. I thought he was lying about who he was so I became paranoid about him being a bad person and getting pleasure out of my suffering. If hed say 'i dont like the song' or tell me anything about my behavior or other peoples behavior id start to cry, it felt very hurtful and I sometimes thought hed say about others because I was the same and hed say he hates people. I felt guilty and frustrated because I tried hard to not upset him and be perfect but hed sometimes say he doesn't like me as much as his friends so i felt like i was unwanted and unneeded.

But most of it was misunderstanding and oh goodness it was utterly ridiculously hard for me to understand what he meant and he was frustrated with it and said only i am not able to understand him and I felt dumb and he would refuse to communicate but first year he just didn't want to discuss anything about his autism and if id ask things i learned hed get upset and not answer. I felt i had no guidance to how to please him and whats going on and whats true. But thankfully thats over now 2 years and tons of breakups later. Phew. And I hope none happens again.

I think he used to think he knew everything and even though i had to study a lot to reach the same conclusion which means he was right almost always even for things he never researched just thought up, more recently he said he learned a few things he didn't know from me. He used to have top grades in school without previously studying, just knew the answers. Thats so interesting, didn't think its really possible. Like also you can have an interest in something which you will know more but he in general thinks it all in his head to reach the right answer. He relies on his brain rather than the internet. Which i think is mind blowing, its like the intrawebs of knowledge in there.

I got rashes on my skin 2 times bc of stress but I never gave up and he saw my suffering and dedication so he tried hard to be a better aspie and then we communicated so much better and i started seeing that he has a great heart and has tons of issues.

His life is very hard on a day to day basis so id say hes really not got the right asset to handle life ok, his life is much much harder than mine and things that are supposed to be like rights to abilities for humans he is lacking.

Despite this hes really trying and sometimes he feels better especially with the right things around and right people. And truly kindness and respect is the best way to help him.

Last edited:
I don’t talk about others experience, but here is mine. I worked 5 years straight in restaurant management from 2013-2018 in a job that should have been very easy for me and I ended up burning bridges/unhappy.

Sometimes I would be upset if the employees were not living up to what my or the managment standards of running a business was... it was a stressful job and sometimes I needed extra people, but was not allowed to have them. I was originally working 60 hrs a week+ in high traffic casual restaurant and couldn’t take time off for illness/appointments leave with pay. I didn’t want to leave and have no money to pay rent or bills and looking for a new job was extremely scary.

In addition all the weight fell on my shoulders from the higher ups and they made me feel like the way I handled things were wrong. I had a chef who would constantly tease me at work for certain things I did (related autism).

I decided I didn’t want to be emotionally abused anymore. I always felt used, but prior to management I felt like I wasn’t using my talents appropriately. I think anxiety is the culprit for a lot of ASD individuals

That conclusion can't be drawn due to other factors involved, such as the correlation between high I.Q. and the use of the internet, use of a forum, tendency to reply in threads on topics related to I.Q., and so on and on.
Then my original thread topic question has been answered, assuming the data is reliable.
The mods changed the thread title to eliminate the "e" word, which was a poor word choice on my part, but I am confident I now have the answer to my deleted question.

I don’t talk about others experience, but here is mine. I worked 5 years straight in restaurant management from 2013-2018 in a job that should have been very easy for me and I ended up burning bridges/unhappy.

Sometimes I would be upset if the employees were not living up to what my or the managment standards of running a business was... it was a stressful job and sometimes I needed extra people, but was not allowed to have them. I was originally working 60 hrs a week+ in high traffic casual restaurant and couldn’t take time off for illness/appointments leave with pay. I didn’t want to leave and have no money to pay rent or bills and looking for a new job was extremely scary.

In addition all the weight fell on my shoulders from the higher ups and they made me feel like the way I handled things were wrong. I had a chef who would constantly tease me at work for certain things I did (related autism).

I decided I didn’t want to be emotionally abused anymore. I always felt used, but prior to management I felt like I wasn’t using my talents appropriately. I think anxiety is the culprit for a lot of ASD individuals

What you describe here would drive anyone batty, but it is worse when working with ignorant folks who do not understand ARSD.
I am fortunate to not have been teased at work, unlike the merciless barrage of teasing and bullying at school, but when I did encounter the 5-10% of my co-workers who were intolerant of my shortcomings, I would become even more anxious, and more incompetent. I guess I am lucky that almost 95% of my co-workers were decent.
here is an absurd anecdote from my restaurant days as a bus boy 43 years ago.
There was a huge Mahi Mahi fish in the back sink getting ready for cook preparation.

It looked so unappealing that I thought it was waiting to be thrown away, so I washed a dirty mop in the sink with the fish.
The guy who was training me was laughing too hard at my stupidity to be mad.

Then my original thread topic question has been answered, assuming the data is reliable.
The mods changed the thread title to eliminate the "e" word, which was a poor word choice on my part, but I am confident I now have the answer to my deleted question.

I wish I knew what any of this meant. It's in code! :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom