• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

High IQ, but Unemployed?

This is my case. I have worked in the past, gotten praise for my work but yet can't keep steady work. It's to bad because I like working but unfortunately for me I'm unable to find work.

IQ last tested at 147. I'm employed... but only because I'm self-employed at home. The amount of work I'm able to do fluctuates. Some days, I'm so confused and lost in my thoughts, it's a wonder I even manage to get dressed, nevermind WORK. Other times, I can work for weeks nonstop. Depends heavily on my ability to hyperfocus on my work. If I can't get any focus going... I'm pretty useless. If I can't work up the nerve to interact with others, or am struggling coming up with words, I'm useless. Some days it probably seems like I have more in common with a 5-year-old child than a 35-year-old IT and Communications major.

@Edward764

"I suppose what separates me from most on this forum is that being autistic is not my only challenge,
but having a low aptitude in many disciplines of life has also set me back."

I cannot imagine how you figure that makes you different from anybody else.

It does not sound as though low aptitude, or low confidence in getting the job done well, is strongly correlated with autism, based on what I have read on various forums here. Social interaction seems to be a much greater challenge and hurdle to success for many here.

Conversely, among my greatest challenges have been my low aptitude, and low competence and confidence in academic and occupational endeavors.
Communicating with co-workers is not a weakness of mine, and usually is not too stressful, so this is why I stated I am different than most members here. I have only been nervous around 5-10% of my co- workers over the years, because I am sensitive to their " atmosphere", which makes me uncomfortable.

Poor aptitude is a far greater issue for me. I also had a hard time following verbal instructions or class lectures back in the day. I would not have survived many of my university science classes had I not been allowed to record the lectures, and listen back to them as often as necessary.
Even today, I am not able to understand movie plots. I get lost immediately.

When I was 15, I went to the theater three times to try to understand the movie " The Sting", and was never able to understand it.

I've been at my job for 20 years. I got the job because it's one of a 3 company niche within a 5 mile radius that all builds nearly the same thing, and my dad knew most of the people at all of them. Again it's who you know. But I was able to keep the job because of what I can do. And they have learned my strong points and my weak points, there are a lot of things I'm bad at, but I excel at a lot of the special weird stuff because I think differently, so I get most of those jobs.

The thought of having to start over in today's world is terrifying.

I've always been clumsy with big things. Could never catch a ball. Always misjudging distance and banging myself on something or other. But with more intricate things I'm very good. Working on small mechanical assemblies, circuit boards, working on small cars where there's not a lot of room to work. I prefer that over working on large things like trucks.

A false equivalency thrown at a group of purportedly intelligent folks sure gets a lot of posts fast! :D

But yeah, I went through ten jobs in less than five years then couldn't work for years, and I'm smarter than a sack of potatoes!
but not a sack of rice. :eek:

You know, all that calculation makes me dizzy just thinking about it. I can't even keep track of the football when trying to watch a game on tv. (I don't like watching sports anymore either).
This sounds harder than chess, cause you're one of the pieces and the pieces are constantly moving.

You gotta be a genius to do mind calculus so fast or tell the possible future, or really know your teams strategies, and learn new ones they come up with in the breaks fast.

I suppose though, being a team it's mostly planned and learned beforehand but you have to be attentive in case a strategy is going to begin without spoken/sign cues. Or just play and have team players accompany you as you move and empty ways to pass the ball, as well as speed depending on distance, means to pass overhead, calm though youre pumped up with adrenaline and accuracy.

A false equivalency thrown at a group of purportedly intelligent folks sure gets a lot of posts fast! :D

But yeah, I went through ten jobs in less than five years then couldn't work for years, and I'm smarter than a sack of potatoes!
but not a sack of rice. :eek:
When you eat potatoes not much happens; when you eat rice, this happens:

562849-istock-532547217.jpg

Whatever you do, don't eat feathers.

It takes me a lot longer than others. I was recently on a course where rope tying was a component, and I was basically mocked by the instructor for being unable to either tie or throw a rope correctly. So you're far from alone on that @Edward764

When I did taekwondo for years one of the requirements was that I tie the belt properly on my uniform each time. I could never do it. No matter how many hundreds of times I attempted it, somehow my fingers couldn't work that way. Instead a classmate did it for me, and I laundered their dobok or uniform for them. So you are not alone in this. It can be at times incredibly frustrating.

Everyone in this thread: I'm really a genius but its so hard for me to get a job with all these "normies"

so if only 34% of autistics have employment than how much perent of that is above minimum wage like dishwasher or supermarket baggers so say only like 15 or 20 % of autistics can get a job that is above a high schooler or entry level or developmentally disabled person

So even if your in the top 15 % of "autistic working capacity" you likely just do something like push carts

Interviews and job applications have always been my biggest hurdles, other than the economy (I came of age right around when the banks decided to wreck the economy--AGAIN--and jobs were extremely scarce for years). Interviews are awkward and problematic, and job scarcity made it worse because I'd be so nervous. Job applications online, funny enough, are even worse. The personality tests they force you to wade through are garbage--no psychologically healthy person can score 100% answering honestly--so if you need a low level job, just google "Unicru answer key". You'll thank me later.

Once I'm actually in a job, being reliable has always been my greatest asset. Even though every job, in some respects, was a mismatch or played to my weaknesses, I've always been able to hold a job, even when it was literally killing me. Even when my sleep schedule was utterly destroyed (lack of sleep drops my functioning drastically), even when the environment was sensory hell and coworkers and bosses were hostile, I could always make it through. This sometimes came at the cost of coming home and having a shutdown every day, but I could survive it. This is not to shame anyone who can't take this level of abuse, I know my sensory issues are minor compared to a lot of other people, just sharing my experience.

Takeaway for those struggling with work--if you manage to get in the door, you don't have to be the best, you just have to be reliable. My last two jobs I've had bosses gunning for me, even openly hating me and disrespecting me. But push came to shove, most of my NT coworkers would quit or get fired for not showing up, or coming in drunk/high, or just being screwups in general. And I'd still be trucking along, showing up on time and doing my job competently, and even get raises or promotions. I know not everyone can take the abuse, and none of us should have to. I'm just sharing to say, networking is important (especially for getting in the door), performance is important, but don't underestimate perseverance.

Everyone in this thread: I'm really a genius but its so hard for me to get a job with all these "normies"

so if only 34% of autistics have employment than how much perent of that is above minimum wage like dishwasher or supermarket baggers so say only like 15 or 20 % of autistics can get a job that is above a high schooler or entry level or developmentally disabled person

So even if your in the top 15 % of "autistic working capacity" you likely just do something like push carts

I haven't noticed this.

I personally don't place any faith in any sort of test that attempts to measure any sort of functioning, be it IQ or any of the autism tests referenced here. (I mention this in my sig block.) I have been called smart as an adult, but in the US society is all about "networking", kissing the right butts in order to get ahead. Autistics, including me, are largely unable to "network", or even do basic social interactions required for a minimum wage job like fast food, so we rot on SSI and live in the basements and attics of relatives. For a lot of us, written communication is FAR easier than verbal, so we look better online than we do in real life. None of us like to think of ourselves as in some way superior to "ordinary" autistics simply because we write well on the internet.

My bf used to say he wouldn't be able to kiss butt to a boss, but I had a feeling i didn't really get what he meant. Maybe he was referring to what you're saying, and then it makes sense why im not too good at keeping or getting jobs. I thought he was just not able to take orders from someone.

I can identify with this . When in college, I took an archery class, and was not able to string my bow. A girl in the class did it for me every day.

When I took bad mitten in college, the teacher matched us up toward the end of the quarter to play opponents based on our ability level.

He singled me out specifically, and told me to choose whomever I wanted to play. I chose a guy who I thought was average.
The instructor then said if I score a single point against him, I will get an "A" in the class. I scored exactly one point, and got an "A".
When in middle school, the teacher was having students vote on which students should participate in a running competition. He would place his hand on the head of those he felt were the best candidates, and then measure the volume of the class applause.
He put his hand on my head as a joke so I could get the Bronx cheer.
Of course this was not nearly as bad as the guy sitting behind me in Geometry class in high school, who would randomly sock me hard in the back whenever he felt like it, or the guy who would pull by gym clothes out my arms when walking home from school.
Without all this bullying, I strongly feel that I was motivated and dedicated enough to understand STEM material in school, but I was just never able to concentrate well enough.
I think I could have overcome my inborn shortcomings to a significant degree, but I was not able to overcome natures cruel forces.

Is autism likely the main reason I did not feel I was capable of being assertive enough to fight back against these forces?
I certainly should be earning more than $24,000 per year, which is my best since 1994, but I feel as though nature defeated me.
My last chance to defeat nature is to write my autobiography. Then this all would not have been for nothing.

Last edited:

I make exactly double the minimum wage! Yay me! :D And my IQ was tested 134, so not genius.

Maybe that's why I've done well! Increase the IQ and the pay goes down!? :eek:

I make exactly double the minimum wage! Yay me! :D And my IQ was tested 134, so not genius.

You manage to be greatest at several things:
1. infallible humor
2. sensitivity
3. everyone's friend/get along with every kind of person
4. no visible imperfections

Double the minimum wage is not bad at all. You are doing something right.
Lots of high IQ people here.

I don't understand why aspie people, with our high intelligence don't get utilized in some way. As the pool of high intelligence people is dwindling, it seems like we would be a godsend to the workforce and society.

I don't understand why aspie people, with our high intelligence don't get utilized in some way. As the pool of high intelligence people is dwindling, it seems like we would be a godsend to the workforce and society.

You would think. Back when I was a teen. I though that my high IQ was an easy street to a decent paying job. Never happen. The irony of it is, is that I've seen employees at some of these jobs and I know I could do a better then them. I guess productivity doesn't really matter anymore.

Where do you work if you don't mind me asking (its okay if you want to keep it private)

Where do you work if you don't mind me asking (its okay if you want to keep it private)

I'm a piano teacher for a studio and a choir accompanist, both of which coincidentally pay the same rate. I call it the "musician minimum wage". ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom