• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hiding behind the smile

There is this man at work that will walk by my desk and tells me to smile. I guess I look serious or blank a lot.

Emo-Pictures-12.jpg

Moving right along.....
I was getting something today at the store and they asked as, they are wont to do, "how are you today?" I answered, as I am wont to do, with utter sincerity, "eh, I am not that great." They said, "but you are smiling." I said, "yes I am it is my automatic fake smile." The woman was pretty cool and said she did that all the time too.

Penguin,

Often my faces don't match up with my feelings. I can certainly relate to UmbrellaBeach who commented that people were always saying "cheer up", I recall that a lot in my childhood. That felt invasive to me and I realized that not smiling drew attention, so I learned to smile quickly whenever I saw someone, as a way of greeting. But when I feel very threatened by someone's presence I find myself not smiling but GRINNING, which sends the wrong impression and makes the people hang around me more. I wish I could fix that habit. But my boss reminded me that in many other primates as well as other mammals, grinning is not a friendly gesture but a defensive one, baring one's teeth. Maybe that is why it surfaces when I feel threatened.

I really like Tree's poem, it absolutely communicates the way I feel about "the smile". It feels very false and makes me upset inside, but on some level I suppose my younger self decided the deflective potential of smiling was better than the attention I got when I didn't smile. That said I often find people asking if I am angry when I am really just thinking, somehow scowling became my "thinking" face. Learning mindfulness now so I am trying to consciously convey what I really feel, especially avoiding the compulsion to smile. My face is hyper-expressive even when I have no emotions to convey, maybe it's a tic of some sort. Modulating that expressiveness does take a lot of effort, don't know if I will ever get very good at it.

Does anybody else hate it when someone taking a photograph calls out 'SMILE'?
I feel totally unnatural smiling on-demand & have to force it. If I see the photo afterwards I think my smile looks fake :confused:

Does anybody else hate it when someone taking a photograph calls out 'SMILE'?
I feel totally unnatural smiling on-demand & have to force it. If I see the photo afterwards I think my smile looks fake :confused:
I no longer allow my picture taken. When I was young I simply spun around and faced the other way as soon as they'd call 'smile'. Annoyed the heck out of people, but it's what I did.

I don't put on a fake smile for anyone and find it incredibly difficult to do so. I usually carry sort of a neutral expression, looks as if I'm bordering on fed up even though I'm not, and it can and does change rapidly. It gives off a certain vibe, one that says, "you probably shouldn't approach me" when in reality I'm not THAT misanthropic!
I used to do that until I realized how phoney it was. Just like people greeting you by saying, 'How are you?'- they don't really care, it's just considered good manners to say that. My sister felt the same way- it made us angry- so she would reply 'Functioning Normally, thank you!'

All phoney behavior really annoys me, especially those things that are done or said because they are considered to be 'polite' or 'good manners'. In high school I used to try to fit in by mimicking the behavior of my peers ( the In Crowd) but all it ever got me was a feeling of duplicity- I was completely ignored by those kids & spent those 4 years alone & miserable! Even 50 years later the way I was 'shunned' still rankles.
I still despise phoney behavior & distrust anyone who displays it!

New Threads

Top Bottom