• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi

dsfu

Hi:

I am currently 37 years old and live at home, soon to be moving into a condo. I am having trouble with empathy for others lately as my mom died six months ago and she was my best & only friend. I still have a dad and two sisters, but have strained relationships with all of them. I have extended family to, but have only seen them 3 times in the last 30 years. Like most people, I am also currently furloughed from my job. Any suggestions on how to feel better would be appreciated.

upload_2020-5-1_20-54-12.png

Welcome. This is a tough time. Maybe think back of good memories. I have had some contact from someone in my past. Maybe reach out to someone you haven't talked to for awhile? Is there a hobby you finally have time to do?
Find something small to be thankful for?

Welcome!
I felt my Mom was my closest friend and we had such a comfortable relationship.
I never left home until her death and I was 53 by that time.
Life will never feel the same. Didn't want to live alone so I rented a couple of rooms from an
elderly man who needed company. He turned out to be of a mean temperment and a grump.
But, I had very little to offer for rent on SSI so we've managed.

I don't have any friends. Just can't connect.
Wish I could offer advice on how to feel better, but, I've been trying to find that myself for seven
years now. I just try to find things to do and take it day by day.
Good luck to you.

Hi @dsfu

Welcome to the Forums.
I too have strained relationships with family so that is not too unusual.
Also I have few close friend so that does not surprise me in your post.

I find that going out for a walk each day does help, but I am sure other folks in the forum here can chip in with their experience and suggestions.

Hi and welcome. I am so sorry for your loss of your mother just 6 months ago. It's early days, grief takes time. I try to remember good times with the lost person because that's why they were special, and they have given you so much they are never really gone. I talk with those I have lost, and in my mind they talk back.

Getting a condo sounds ĺike it may help anod give you some distraction and interest in sorting your new place out. Whenever you can, I would start to find a ways to connect a bit with others, you are here already so that's a good start, plenty of friendly auties here. It's a strange time for making connections, but online often suits us in any case.

I agree with getting exercise, I walk everyday, and have just got a state of the art skipping rope! I think it does help with feeling low, to keep moving and getting yourself fit.

:spoutingwhale::spiralshell::fish::snowflake::whale::spiralshell::dolphin::snowflake::tropicalfish::spiralshell::spoutingwhale:

It takes time. One of the things I did, but didn't realize I was doing it until later, was for months after my mom died I just didn't want to talk to anyone. I realized I was doing this 'if I can't talk to her I don't want to talk to anyone' thing.
Hello and welcome.

Keep busy, explore what you love and what takes the edge off negative or sad thoughts, build a memory board or journal about your Mum, reach out if you have support or those you trust, be kind to yourself and give permission to feel sad, eat well, exercise and rest.

New Threads

Top Bottom