• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi!

MamaBug89

Hi! I don't know if I'm in the "right" place and don't mean to offend if I am wrong, but my mind is starting to hurt from all the back and forward if I should or not speak up...
I'm 27 years old and I think I might be on the spectrum. I never felt I was like others but have always dismissed it as everybody is different and others are probably just better at hiding their struggle. Plenty of years ago I've thought Asperger's would fit me but then there was other stuff that I was missing. Also any kind of "mental abnormality" is major tabu in my family even though there's not one normal person there.
I have 2 boys, one of which has recently turned 3 and doesn't speak a word but is otherwise extremely intelligent and brilliant. Indeed he has spoken a word or 2 here and there and lost those. We finally got him to be accessed by Speach Therapy (we have been told up to now that it was because there were 3 languages in the household) and we were told it was definitely not laziness nor too many idioms. Since he was about 6 weeks that I've pushing the sense that he was autistic as my own paranoia and another of my mind's quirks as no-one else could see it, and been getting all kinds of excuses as to why my son was different. Now I'm tired of these excuses and so I started reading, finding out what I could about it and how to better help my boy. The more I read the more I could identify myself with it. I spoke about it at length with my husband and he agrees that a number of things I do looks connected with it; also said that I looked like I need my son to be on the spectrum, just because I'm studying.
Is it possible I'm the cause for my son's condition? Or he's just socially awkward because me and dad are too and it might not be autism? How possible for the youngest to be affected too? How can I help both of them? Is it worth it to get the diagnosis myself, besides knowing myself? Any therapy that could be beneficial at this point?
I'm sorry for how long it became and if it's confusing, it made more sense before writing it...

It might not be the case for you if you seek on out for yourself but my understanding of doctors are they'll probably only diagnose you if your life is impeded in some way, such as having a mental health problem.

Your son may well be on the spectrum if he hasn't spoken yet; three is a bit delayed but I also really don't know about the effects of going up in a multi-lingual household.

At this stage I would hold off for the time being and keep in touch with professionals about your son's development. If he isn't speaking by four then you've got a problem on your hands.

Hard to tell . Criteria seems to change a lot. I had two Drs who knew me well (tx for more than a year, each) say I have it. PDD NOS and the other AUTISM NOS but then went to a third because my PCP wanted me to go because I could not do medical tests and the guy saw me all of 25 minutes and said because I made eye contact, I can't have autism.

He said I have a lot of the symtpoms such as sensory troubles and rigid schedule and face blindness and paradoxical medication reactions, but based on "being warm when they greeted me in the greeting room " I don't have autism.

WHen I asked how all the above could be psycholgoical when they are neurologcally based in autistic people he would not reply.

A friend from church who is a shrink said they are doing this to milder cases to stop the resources going to people who are not profoundly autistic. However, I know Dxed people who are better off than I am.

OK, anyway, depends on where you live, who you go to for the Dx, if you have any other troubles they can conveneiently fall back on, etc.

Your son maybe a clearer case. But a lot of kids do not talk till late.

Either way, welcome to this place and I hope you get a lot of info!! Everyone here is very friendly and helpful and actually I have learned more here than anywhere else I have gone.

Hi and welcome!

"I never felt I was like others but have always dismissed it as everybody is different and others are probably just better at hiding their struggle."---THIS is exactly what I thought too. Your story and thoughts are similar to mine.

With regards to getting your child diagnosed, I would go ahead with it. If he's not on the spectrum, then ok. If he is, early intervention is key. I wish I had known years before my daughter (6 at the time) was diagnosed. As for yourself, some people are happy with a self diagnosis. I was ok with it for about 6 months and then I just got more obsessed to the point where I just had to know. I think I'm fortunate because there is a clinic here with experience diagnosing women. I know that's not the case many other places. I was recently diagnosed and I am getting therapy to help with the many issues I have that are tailored for someone on the ASD spectrum. It's been beneficial so far. The diagnosis itself was a huge weight off my shoulder. It's been a relief!

Glad to have you here!!

New Threads

Top Bottom