• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi All :) In need of some advice

Sam

Hi all, my name is Sam and I'm 27 and from the UK. I'm in the process of getting a formal diagnosis after being completely confused about myself for so long.

I have been having a really crappy time since October. I had some issues with my boyfriend getting close to another girl, who it turned out was just a friend who is married and he says is like a big sister to him, but he hid their relationship from me for months because he knew i would get upset and act unreasonably if he told me about them being friends at all.

Then i have had troubles at home. I am still living at home because of financial problems, having daily arguments with my parents about living under their roof.

Then there is my job. I recently got promoted to a supervisor in a large, extremely busy, well-know clothing store. I didn't particularly want the job, but at the same time didn't want any one else to get it as the person who was previously supervisor had been sick to almost a year and a half and i had been covering their job that whole time, so i felt i deserved it. The past few months have been extremely stressful because of Christmas and one of our managers being off on long term sick.

Then just before Christmas my boyfriend got hit by a car whilst he was riding his bike home at night. He lives in a long way away from me and i couldn't seen him for two days after the accident. I was extremely angry at myself for not being there for him. Instead of being supportive when he rang me to tell me about the accident i got angry at him and asked him if that girl he was keeping a secret from me was there and if he had called her before me.

All the crap just seems to stem front that first argument we had in October. i cant let the fact that he hid her from me go. Every time things seem to get better between us i bring her up and cause another argument. and she has actually been really nice, adding my on Facebook and chatting to me and checking how i am. I am really jealous and possessive at the moment and can see i am stifling him. We have been together nearly 8 years and in that time he has really been my only friend. I have lots of people who i talk to and enjoy the company of at work and speak to on the internet everyday outside of work. But i never go anywhere or do anything with them. If i am not with my boyfriend i am sat at home alone. I have been like this as long as i remember. i don't want to be alone any more but i don't know how to do it. I am so scared of letting my boyfriend have freedom and friends as he is so important to me and i am scared if i give him some freedom he will find something better and leave me.

Because of all this i have lost a lot of weight and havent been able to sleep properly for over a month.

So i went to see my GP on Monday, scored almost a 100% on the depression test, 100% on the anxiety test and 45 out of 50 on the aspergers test. he rang me on Monday afternoon to say that he had referred my to a psychiatrist to be assessed. Its the first time i have felt brave enough to go to the doctor and tell someone about this. I am on fluoxetine now and have been signed off work for 2 weeks. I seem to have been going through this cycle every two years or so for the past 10 years: i hide how i am feeling until i reach rock bottom, almost break and get on antidepressants and have two weeks off work, feel a lot better and go back to work, take myself of the tablets after a few months and brush it all under the carpet.

I feel majorly stressed out about stuff at the moment and all of my stims seem to be going like crazy one after another. I cant keep still and my mind is going over time. I was referred straight to a counsellor on Monday afternoon and he has put my on a course which seems to be doing me some good, i am going through all the excercises he told me to do. Cant stop the negativity at the moment and thats what is really getting to me. Reading about mindfulness and trying that but its really hard to think about the good stuff after so long.

Sorry for the massive rant, i look forward to hearing any advice from you all

Sam x

Hi Sam and welcome to Aspies Central.

For Your aspergers assessment, I would not worry to much about it, but embrace it, Because it is the start of discovering yourself. You will get lots of help and support here, especially if you are feeling down.

You may need help with communication as aspies process things differently, don't worry about it we can help with that as we understand what is like.

For your fluoxetine, I am on it as well. From what I understand of it you need to maintain a certain level in your body for it to work. Did you have to take a half tablet for the first week? I am on 10 mg a day.

Last edited:
Hi, I am on 20mg of fluoxetine a day at the moment. The last time is was on anti depressants I was on more than that.

I feel like when I get a formal diagnosis it will make sense of everything in my life that I haven't understood previously. So I am kind of looking forward to that in a way :)

I just wish I understood others more and how my behaviour was affecting them. I have been so angry about my boyfriend for months, picking at him all the time for having a friend and I didn't realise I had upset him until he finally snapped and shouted at me and said some terrible things. It was good in a way because I finally understood his side of things, but it took him being so angry for me to understand his feelings. I just wish I couldve picked up on them sooner. :(

Sometimes I struggle so much to understand how people are feeling that I get a headache. When I try and think what they are feeling my head just feels empty and I don't react to what they are saying. I got told recently that I act like a robot and my face is always vacant when I should show emotion about things.

Sam I think you will be ok here.

One of the problems is that we can be the last person to see something.

One thing aspies like is honesty, so may be disccuss that with your boy friend once you have learnt more about communications characteristics for aspies.
You may be able to do so now it may be how you word things that could be an issue for you.

I think in the research section there is a report on aspie brains being over wired, so we have to filter my information than a normal
person, rather than
being slower.

Last edited:
Hello, Sam!

What you may want to do, in addition to your solo counseling, is consider couples' counseling. A mediator should be able to "translate" for both of you so that neither party gets too frustrated trying to understand the other.

Best wishes. :)

Hi Sam

Hopefully coming here and relieving your stresses would help. We do our best to support everyone here socially.

Big virtual hugs

Welcome :)

Sorry to hear you're going through a stressful time. Hope things are looking up for you now that things are clearer.

New Threads

Top Bottom