• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Here In My Car..." Driving as a Stim

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
Does anyone else get into a pleasant aspie zone when they're driving?

I absolutely adore driving. I am very good at it.

I started learning to drive when I was maybe three. My mom would have to grab something and she'd say "Hold the wheel for a sec." And I used to freak out, but by the time I was about six or seven I could hold the wheel and even go around curves in the road while she was fishing around in her purse or fumbling in the glove box.

When I was eight, I started being allowed to sit in the driver's seat. I was initially pretty bad at it. But then my friends got quads, and I used to go over there and we'd ride all over the dirt roads and it became instinct on when to jump the potholes or change gears. I applied that to driving and it became very pleasurable.

By the time I was twelve, my dad was letting me drive to school (we lived eight miles from town). This was in the early 1990s. I was also allowed to drive over the coast range in Southern CA to Laguna Beach or Oceanside. That was fun! This was of course with them in the car too.

I think because I lived in such a rugged, hilly, windy area out in the desert, I got really good at driving, having to know how to get around obstacles, and being allowed to drive very fast sometimes.

Even though I've been driving for several decades, I only got in my first accident ever in January of last year. I haven't even had tickets!

I live next to two major highways, and an SUV ran a red light and slammed into the passenger door of my little Toyota Corolla. My daughter and I were both injured. I didn't have insurance (I know, I know) so although I was found to not be at fault, we didn't get any kind of a settlement, because I shouldn't have been on the road in the first place.

So now I'm carless, in a wheelchair (not related to the accident), and I miss driving so much.

It's like Gary Numan sang:

"Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars."

I have driven over great distances, often at a small whim. My daughter used to love it when I'd wake her up at two a.m. and whisper in her ear "Hey wanna go to California?" Next thing you know, we'd be cruising down the coast of Southern Cali or partying in the Bay Area or playing hide and go seek, ducking under giant ferns or inside of giant hollowed out redwoods.

Modest Mouse said it best:

"I've crossed the lines of all the great state roads
I'm going up, going over to Montana
You got yourself a trucker's atlas
You knew you were all hot
Well, maybe you'll go and blow a gasket
You start at the northwest corner
Go down through California
Beeline, you might drive three days and
Three nights to the tip of Florida"

I have been incredible places in my life, and seen amazing things. I wish I had a car right now because I'd go somewhere else, for a good long while, and who knows where I'd end up before I came back home on those familiar roads.

Last edited:
I love reading your posts. You're such an inspiring person and you're very good at storytelling. You've been through a lot and I'm sorry for the things that have happened to you, but you're resilient and amazing. Thank you for making everyone smile :blush:

I do this daily, lest I go mad.

I may as well share some of my favorite places to go:

uvvxyYb.jpg

This is pretty close to my place. Most of the area looks like this.

OculusScreenshot1633921292.jpeg

My house can be seen here. This is the very edge of "civilization" and "unending grass" as most of this state (Illinois) is just grass and fields.

OculusScreenshot1633921509.jpeg

The town of Minooka, about 30 minutes away. I dont know why I find myself drawn to this place but I keep driving out here. It is not a very large town, however a lot of semis pass through here.

OculusScreenshot1633921722.jpeg

Coralville, Iowa. I havent been here in about 5 years. I find this fact very depressing. I cant stop thinking about this.

OculusScreenshot1633921868.jpeg

A flying nighttime view of the same place with an incredibly unrealistic sky. Yeah okay that doesnt have much to do with driving but it is neat.

I took most of these in VR (which explains that last one). It's not particularly safe to take photos while driving after all.

I've never even thought about driving as a stim, but that's exactly what it is! The feeling of movement without actually moving, the subtleties of speed and distance judgement, etc. I love it!

Might have agreed a year ago...but gas is over $4 a gallon here. Much worse if I cross the border into Calif. :eek:

A mighty expensive stim these days...though I too love to drive. :(

The one thing I like about fall and winter. I get to make use of my heated car seats and steering wheel. :cool:

Last edited:
Neat pics.
That first one looks like the crossroads from the movie CastAway with Tom Hanks.

I like driving. I tend to get hyper on the drive to or from work. I guess I have to let out all that pent up energy as I know I'll have to mask when I'm at work and there's no chance to be hyper and erratic.

As for actually driving - I drive sensibly these days. I have a small engine, city car which loses any sense of excitement when you go from 1st to 2nd gear. I tend to drive at 50 or 55mph on 60 roads. Saves fuel economy and gives me a good chance to avoid animals. I really think most roadkill could be avoided if people drove a bit slower. Then again, I will emergency stop if there's a bird in the road that isn't flying away. It's usually pigeons and doves. Crows and magpies have the sense to fly off quicker.

I love the countryside drive I'm doing at the moment. The views are wonderful. Last week I saw a very impressive cloud formation. It was literally a wall of cloud that spanned over 180 degrees of my vision. Truly inspiring.

Clouds.JPG

I keep thinking I want a faster car again, but with the recent few years of driving sensibly, I do wonder what the point is. Faster cars cost more money in fuel, tax and such like. People who overtake tend to use more fuel, drive erratically and eventually you catch up with them when traffic ahead slows everyone down.

Then again, the thrill of the torque and acceleration is a wonderful thing. But I've been lucky with driving, I had a few close calls, and one crash (6 months after passing my test) - but in all honesty I'm very impulsive when I'm behind the wheel of a fast car. Truth be told, I think another small engine, city car would be the most sensible car purchase to go for.

Asides from the paintwork issues on my current car, it only has 70k miles on the clock. It could easily go another 70k and that means it could last me another 10 years or more.

Living at my parents, in a well-to-do village, I see a lot of people who have very nice cars. Prestige and status symbol types. There's luxury SUV's and sports cars everywhere. Stuff I could never afford. Sure, I could get a cheap, fast car - but I'd rather just save money and spend it elsewhere, rather than funding another project car, or shelling out more money at the fuel pumps and at the garage to fix an older, faster car.

Ed

Last edited:
I love to drive. In my life I have always been practical, not getting flashy or powerful cars, and saving instead. Then I got a Kawasaki Concours and it reignited my love of the road. I finally got a fun, little MR2 Spyder (used) and something I've wanted to do all my life was possible and I took performance driving at Gingerman Raceway. VERY stimulating, and great for developing intense focus as I learned the brake points, turn-ins and the best line through the course as well as being aware of track signals and etiquitte. Here's a pic of me on The Tail of the Dragon.

50bab-1044625795-L.jpg

I miss driving!
Here in Mexico I prefer not to drive because the drivers are nuts. And our car is too big!
When I had a personal car it was a Ford Fiesta. Small, easy to see around and fun on curves! I felt like the car was an extension of my own body.

Neat pics.
That first one looks like the crossroads from the movie CastAway with Tom Hanks.

So tell me. Do you think Chuck drove his Jeep back to Bettina's ranch and they lived happily ever after ? Or did he just stoically drive off west into the sunset ? ;)

Last edited:
I've never thought of driving as a stim for me, it is just something I have always enjoyed doing... I didn't get my drivers license until I was 25, within two years had my first car (1996), not long after that purchase I drove it to a friend's wedding in a small town 900 km from home... Drove there on Friday, wedding Saturday, drove back on Sunday, that would be 1,800 km over three days

But I have always enjoyed going for a drive for the sake of a drive, the enjoyment of highway driving (I'm not talking about freeways), if possible driving the back roads with less traffic and multiple stops to take photos... Here in western Canada population density in rural areas is very low so if you pick the right road you'll see hardly any other traffic...

Since 2011 I have done regular road trips onto the Canadian prairies, one of my favourite places to go, and my "selfies" are photos of my car along the way...

This is a photo from the first time I took my Hyundai Accent on a day trip onto the prairies, February 2014, I purchased it in the autumn of 2013:

Brooks 01.jpg

125,000 kilometres later I still own it, a road trip from 2020, winter on the prairies...

Granum 01.jpg

I like driving - alone. I don't like it when someone sits next to me and talks all the time or tells me how I should be driving.

For me and my wife, we drive to explore. We have his and her Jeeps. There is a lot of open country here in Idaho and we take advantage of it. Which Jeep we take depends on where we are going. One is modified for off road use and the other is a all most stock 4x4. We both like driving the Jeeps off road although when it gets really rough one of us is outside guiding the other. In this situation, we are almost always with other 4x4's.

I should explain that when I say "off road", we are always on established frontage roads or trails. We would never just take off across country, as this would be very harmful to the country.

Always loved to drive. Most of my jobs have had a driving element in one form or another. As a rural mail carrier it's just me and my jeep over 150 miles of varied terrain a day, its going pretty good. It has spilled over onto my kids, we are leaving for Disney world in two weeks and when we asked the kids if they wanted to fly or drive, (we have done it both ways before,) it was a unanimous vote for road trip. It is 19 hours fastest route but we are going to take a few detours along the way and stretch it into a 3 day trip.

I stim to drive. I drive stimmingly. I love to drive, but gas hit three dollars here. Driving has always been my escape. When l needed a break from weird LA, l drove to Mexico. The roundabouts are fun, you see a lot of older vehicles. The roundabouts are almost like a social hangout, guys check you out, while the livestock in the back of their truck is clucking.

Thanks for reminding of a fun stim.

New Threads

Top Bottom