• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help with diagnosis

pistachio smile

Does it sound like I might be on the spectrum?

(As a child)
  • Extreme lack of curiosity (which was strange for a child): not curious about the outside world, did not ask any questions like “why is the sky blue?” And not feeling curious even when such questions were asked by grownups.
  • Despised change: 1) strongly refused to wear new clothes before a “getting familiar” period for several months (i.e., a dress had to be hung in front of the bedroom window so that I could feel familiar to it), 2) cried and refused when mom appeared without glasses, 3) generally hated new environments or introduction of new objects / change of appearance in familiar objects or people
  • In all hand-drawn pictures, there were very detailed drawings of objects. These objects were always linked together in a long string, so that they would remain connected. Drawn objects were divided by borders - artwork was and is more concrete than abstract.
  • Could not bear to make eye contact (and still struggling; locking eyes with another person feels like making two magnets at opposite ends face each other - even if it’s my parents or a close friend)
  • Hyperfocus and astonishing concentration
  • Interest in geometrical objects (cubes, spheres, shapes in general) and color
  • Extreme love for toy dinosaurs
  • When outside, always searching for & collecting objects on the ground (due to hope of discovering fossils), instead of looking around (later accumulated a wide collection of rocks & minerals)
  • Almost no interest in numbers / dates / car plates, but strongly attached to other types of sequences (e.g., order & characteristics of planets in the solar system, digestive organs in the gastrointestinal system, dinosaurs and when they lived) - seems like numbers were uninteresting because they were simply numbers. But any type of sequential information that accompanied tidbits of facts (planets are aligned in order, but each planet has its own set of related facts & physical appearance). This later develops into an extreme interest and love for the periodic table.
  • Strongly interested in collecting “categorical information”: different types of ____ (after dinos & planets, I loved memorizing plants and their corresponding characteristics, marine species, names of specific colors, and so on): usually strongly limited to nature-world objects (rocks, animals, plants, colors, elements, and other abstract knowledge), rather than human-related objects (cars, different models of technical objects, historical events & timeline) - for some reason, only nature-related information feels real & important. Man-made information seems artificial and not worth categorizing.
  • Love & bonding with animals: grownups say that, when I passed by the cages in the zoo, all the sleeping animals would magically wake up (though not anymore)
  • Love for nature and interacting in detail: collecting rocks&seashells, playing with crabs, rather than taking in the ambience & scene of the ocean and waves
  • Clumsiest kid in the world
  • Worst dancer/singer in class
  • Almost sense of rhythm or melody (lack of musical talent and coordination)
  • A great sense of spatial arrangement and position of objects in 3D (which is curious, due to my terrible locomotive & kinematic senses)
  • Attachment to specific toys - carrying them everywhere was the only point I showed strong opinions about
  • Love for all colors of the rainbow
  • Socially awkward
  • Difficulty in noticing surroundings (would be trapped in my own imaginary world)
  • Easily bullied by other children, but would not stand up for speak
  • Selective mutism: for some reason, would not often verbalize the thoughts in my head to others (never said stuff like “I want this!” “he hit me!” to adults, even in situations that demanded attention)
  • Very rarely cried (except for when experiencing/observing “change” in familiar objects)
  • Quiet
  • Unemotional
  • Could not understand social cues
  • Often took things literally
  • Would do something (listening to a story on the cassette player or playing with dinos) for 5-8 hours in a room without ever moving or going outside
  • Astonishing lack of empathy: would not notice if it another kid right next to me was hurt or injured, hard to understand the feelings of others
  • Always threw up after eating (severe stomach issues)
  • Insensitive to pain (never crying after tripping or being injured, despite tripping & falling all the time)
  • Sensitive to sound (could and can still hear very small noises / something whispered from other rooms)
  • Strongly introverted
  • Almost no facial expressions
  • Playing with imaginary friends all the time ( I still do)
  • Making up and writing fantasy stories all the time
  • A penchant for words & vocabulary: the way how some words can describe very specific meanings
  • Felt like nobody really understood me
  • Trying to stand up for bullied animals/insects, young environmental conservationist
  • Think things through deeply (very indecisive), but can also be surprisingly spontaneous
  • Very quiet and introverted as a kindergartener. But would greatly surprise teachers & friends when going onstage for a speech: speaking in front of an audience has always been one of my greatest talents, for some reason (it feels like I’m given a slice of the whole world’s time to truly tell my story without feeling afraid that I’ll be cut off or interrupted, and everyone would be listening to me. And I don’t have to make eye-contact with a single person (my gaze can dissolve somewhere in the audience, jumping from one person to another instead of intensely focusing on one)

(Changes growing up)
  • Extreme curiosity: literally told “you are too curious” (It feels like I wasn’t curious about anything as a kid, because I already knew a lot of the potential questions I could ask were already solved by scientists. And I knew that those answers (at least in a very deep and fundamental level) could not be understood as a child (involving quantum mechanical equations and such). But now that I’m a scientist myself, and now that I understand such mathematical expressions & scientific laws, they feel like my own language. And my passion for the natural world & information gives rise to a great sense of curiosity.) - Though still cannot be less curious about socio/political events.
  • Many social skills were obtained after intensely trained by the most empathetic and socially sensitive mom in the world (though many of the social responses I carry out are rather artificial and well-practiced, instead of naturally coming out from heart)
  • A good sense of fashion was obtained thanks to parents being fashion designers
  • A sense of empathy was artificially established after reading & writing a great volume of novels (I love to write stories, so I came to create and develop a large number of different archetypes, which required that I had to think in the shoes of every character)
  • I try to exert facial expressions and socially accepted responses in conversation, and try to make as much eye contact as possible (but I would really prefer not to). Whenever I make eye contact, I try to imagine that there’s an invisible & impenetrable protective layer between the other person & me, so that they cannot read my feelings
  • Always trying to look at things from different perspectives (Cubist philosophy) to see to whole, and to become a better scientist: forced myself to study engineering (where mechanical components coordinate to create a functioning machine; how details add up to create a big picture) but still remains a chemist (attention to the microscopic world)
  • Curiosity and adventurous personality eventually made me very open to try new things (foods, clothing styles, travel locations)
  • Analysis paralysis: think things through too deeply
  • Not really a routine person: Aversion towards plans and routines, maintaining love for spontaneity
  • A long list of fun hobbies to do alone
  • Not a fan of sports
  • Always collecting tidbits of knowledge on interesting facts
  • More oriented towards collecting knowledge and information than actual physical objects
  • Still talking with imaginary friends all the time (if anything, their presence only seems to grow more pervasive every day) but they are very supportive, not problematic
  • Caught up in my own paracosm
  • Still as much in love with lists of categorical information
  • Still as much in love with natural sciences / natural history museums
  • Nature documentaries, passion for nature & environment
  • Finding it increasingly difficult to concentrate on uninteresting matters. And even for interesting topics, I always ride a train of thought and become lost in my mind.
  • Hyperfocus when feeling interested / curious, solving a mystery, drinking in information on a subject of imminent interest
  • Easily bored
  • I know when to use my eccentric humor

welcome to af.png

Your post has a lot of the earmarks of it, but keep in mind that none of us are qualified to give you an assessment.

Welcome! While I'm not a professional, and of course I'm on the internet reading a self-reported list, but yes, based on what you're describing, overall, it sounds like you may very well be on the spectrum.

Hello @pistachio smile. Personally, I was getting confused with all the different lists of red flags and indicators of ASD (for me, not your list) – reading the threads here about peoples experiences shows the diversity of symptomology, and for me, hearing people’s real life experiences has been super helpful in the way that I think about myself.

I’m still new myself – been here less than a month – but I think if you read different threads and find that you relate to the questions being asked and the struggles that people are having, you may get some answers.

Other members and Admins are super helpful in directing people towards specific threads when searching on your own isn’t working.

Welcome @pistachio smile. While I am not qualified to state with any certainty, you share a number of things with my own experiences, both growing up and as an adult, and I am officially diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

You are obviously quite intelligent from your writing and I would hazard a guess that you might well be on the spectrum based on what you describe. I am curious as to your own curiosity. What has triggered your search for some validation.

In my own case, I never wondered about why I was so different to everyone around me. I just went about my life and arrived at a diagnosis due to the auspices of others and a bit of contentiousness at my place of employment. This happened in my forties and made no difference to my life or my affect after I had an official diagnosis.

At any rate, you can find a great deal of information on the forums, although you post implies that you have done some research before joining us here, as your list of traits is quite extensive. If it gives you any comfort to think you might be autistic, then know that there are many here that are self-diagnosed. Please do not add additional stress to your life. You seem like an interesting person and this is a very safe environment, so dive in and join the interaction, even if you are a bit uncertain or tentative. It can be quite therapeutic.

Hi and welcome. Yes sounds like you're likely on the autistic spectrum. Is there a reason you are thinking about that now? I hope that you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive.

I really want to thank you. I can relate pretty well with most of the stuff you mention, and it is really handy to have a large list of autism symptoms. I had wanted to compile a list like that for myself (though I would also make a list of neurotypical "symtoms") but I hardly need to bother now. I have not been diagnosed as it's almost impossible for an adult where I live, but I did meet a psychologist specializing in ASD and she said that I was pretty much definitely on the spectrum.

I am also in science (biochemistry/molecular biology), though politics and behaviour are a really big interest of mine. Where I mainly diverge from you is that I heavily suspect I also have sensory processing sensitivity which makes me more empathetic and sensitive towards others. I can definitely relate to having an easy time doing public speaking while struggling in smaller scale communication. To me, the clearest "symptom" is not any of the things you mentioned at all, but rather that you took the time to write all of this down and compile it into a structured list.​

Welcome @pistachio smile. While I am not qualified to state with any certainty, you share a number of things with my own experiences, both growing up and as an adult, and I am officially diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

You are obviously quite intelligent from your writing and I would hazard a guess that you might well be on the spectrum based on what you describe. I am curious as to your own curiosity. What has triggered your search for some validation.

In my own case, I never wondered about why I was so different to everyone around me. I just went about my life and arrived at a diagnosis due to the auspices of others and a bit of contentiousness at my place of employment. This happened in my forties and made no difference to my life or my affect after I had an official diagnosis.

At any rate, you can find a great deal of information on the forums, although you post implies that you have done some research before joining us here, as your list of traits is quite extensive. If it gives you any comfort to think you might be autistic, then know that there are many here that are self-diagnosed. Please do not add additional stress to your life. You seem like an interesting person and this is a very safe environment, so dive in and join the interaction, even if you are a bit uncertain or tentative. It can be quite therapeutic.
Thank you for your insight :)
I'm excited to learn that there are many individuals on this forum who can share their experiences!
Even though I may not be officially diagnosed, I feel I could be similar to those on the spectrum in a great number of aspects.

What triggered my search is another interesting story altogether; I often board a train of thought that makes me end up in unexpected places. While browsing through Thesaurus, I stumbled across the term "Gestalt." Being somewhat of a graphic designer myself, I quickly took interest and perused all the information I could find on the Gestalt laws of perceptual organization. I soon discovered that Gestalt psychology, though in a slightly different sense, was an essential aspect of education & language learning. After reading a few articles on analytic vs. Gestalt language processors, I felt that I had always been more of a Gestalt cognitive processor (e.g., tending to display echolalia in written language or processing sentences in chunks). Finding that this was a trait of hyperlexic/autistic individuals, I immediately subjected myself to 3~4 relevant online quizzes. The results unanimously suggested that I could very well be on the mild ASD spectrum. Since I felt that it would be difficult to seek a formal diagnosis at the moment, I began comparing my traits with those listed on various forums/articles.

I really want to thank you. I can relate pretty well with most of the stuff you mention, and it is really handy to have a large list of autism symptoms. I had wanted to compile a list like that for myself (though I would also make a list of neurotypical "symtoms") but I hardly need to bother now. I have not been diagnosed as it's almost impossible for an adult where I live, but I did meet a psychologist specializing in ASD and she said that I was pretty much definitely on the spectrum.

I am also in science (biochemistry/molecular biology), though politics and behaviour are a really big interest of mine. Where I mainly diverge from you is that I heavily suspect I also have sensory processing sensitivity which makes me more empathetic and sensitive towards others. I can definitely relate to having an easy time doing public speaking while struggling in smaller scale communication. To me, the clearest "symptom" is not any of the things you mentioned at all, but rather that you took the time to write all of this down and compile it into a structured list.​
Haha yeah, I'm pretty much of a list-maker! Reading through it can be tedious, but I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed it :)

Same here - I feel that it would be difficult to be officially diagnosed at the moment (based on the ambiance of where I live). But hopefully, I'll be able to share a heart-to-heart talk with some future psychologist!

I'm more oriented towards physical/surface chemistry, but I'd also like to participate in some bio-related projects someday. I think my aversion to politics stems from my fear of conflict (I'm a bit of a pacifist lol). Although I'm gaining some new interest in historical events and conflicts between ancient civilizations.

I wish I could be less logical, more empathetic; less of a scientist, and more of a poet. Though at the same time, it feels as though logic is the only thing that can be trusted, and emotions do more harm than good. I guess I'll have to find a compromise someday.

I wish I could be less logical, more empathetic; less of a scientist, and more of a poet. Though at the same time, it feels as though logic is the only thing that can be trusted, and emotions do more harm than good. I guess I'll have to find a compromise someday.

You explain the conundrum so well! I certainly relate to you here – I think we approach this from opposite sides, I feel too much, would like to feel less. Nevertheless, I really relate to this dichotomy you described.

Let's put it this way: if you sort diagnosis and it comes back as you are not on the spectrum, then that "expert" should be fired!

Reading through your list was rather an eye opener for me, because I too, I realised, was not curious as a child, but as an adult, always looking up things.

My child childhood life actually never gave me the chance to enact my aspieness. Sounds weird, I know, but it was a daily survival for me and if anything, I had a deep interest in clothes, even as a child, because I lacked so much. But, as an adult, I can see that I am particular with my clothes and absolutely love colours and a huge interest in matching colours, which bring peace to me or disorder.

I have always been too empathetic. But I struggle with sympathy.

I am very logical too, but for me, there is no question of wishing I was less logical. But, you see, logic and empathy can coexist, because that is me.

As for routine. I have to be organised, otherwise I cannot think straight.

I have got better with eye contact, but sometimes slip as it were and for me, it feels like I can see deep inside the person's brain, if I keep looking, due to them talking a lot. Diagnosis has helped me to cope better.

I’m sorry to write this here but I can’t find another place or even figure this site out with the adds popping up and driving me nuts. Can someone tell me how to get rid of the adds or are they just the way it is?

View attachment 82237

Your post has a lot of the earmarks of it, but keep in mind that none of us are qualified to give you an assessment.
Welcome to Autism Forums!
What’s with all the adds? They’re driving me nuts. I’m trying to figure this site out and they keep popping up and distracting me and even worse they cover everything I’m trying to look at and try to learn. How’s a person suppose to use the site with all this distraction going on? Can you please help me Get rid of the adds? I can’t even send this message cuz there’s an add covering the reply. Talk about overstimulating. I guess I just wait for the add to pop somewhere else.

Now I’m seeing offers for therapy. My gosh im gonna need the therapy after having my brain fried with adds popping all over the place. Honestly this seems more like torture than anything else. I’m guessing I’m not the only one who’s irritated by being overstimulated with adds everywhere and moving all around. What an experience right before going to bed. I’m not trying to be rude but this something else. Whoever created this site must know this is not a very nice thing to do to people who get overstimulated easily. And the flickering. im outa here.

New Threads

Top Bottom