• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello newbie here

Kaz2012

Hi Everyone

51 years old, diagnosed late 40s. HF Autism/Aspie. Very new to this, hoping to connect with folks who understand.

Typical story I guess, taught myself to read at early age but took ages to figure out how to tie shoelaces and thought I was stupid. Never fitted in. Always struggled, felt apart from everyone. Still do. A lot of things people did and said made no sense to me and still do not. A personal crisis brought me here.

Welcome to the forums. Everyone here is an unique individual who may share some traits but each of us experience the world and interact with it in our own idiosyncratic ways. If you stick around and explore, I think you will find this to be a place where the feeling of being alone in the world might ease off a tiny bit.

1697745590596.png

Welcome! I also couldn't tie my shoelaces until I was in middle school or highschool I can't remember which.

Welcome. You should fit in here easily.

I could tie my shoes, but tripped over my own feet far too much. Couldn't catch or throw a ball, but could repair electronics before starting school, and was designing and building electronic devices in elementary school.

Hi Everyone

51 years old, diagnosed late 40s. HF Autism/Aspie. Very new to this, hoping to connect with folks who understand.

Typical story I guess, taught myself to read at early age but took ages to figure out how to tie shoelaces and thought I was stupid. Never fitted in. Always struggled, felt apart from everyone. Still do. A lot of things people did and said made no sense to me and still do not. A personal crisis brought me here.

Hi Kaz :) I'm new here too. 50 yr old woman and newly diagnosed. I don't remember how long it took to learn to tie my shoe laces, it wasn't particularly early , I know that. I do remember I was bad at walking and constantly stubbed my toes and skinned my knees.

I didn't learn to read early, but developed very fast, when I did. Was a voracious bookworm. Terrified, as a child.

Can I ask if things are improving re your personal crisis? And if not, did you want anyone to vent to about it? Coz I'm here and a newbie too.

My AS mother taught me how to tie my shoes, and I still do it that way when I want something beyond slip-on security. However, the NT side of the family laughed at my technique, without trying to teach theirs.

Hiya, Kaz! You're a late-bloomer too, huh? Almost 57, diagnosed 5 years ago with HFA, 14 DEC 2018. Some Christmas present, huh? Sure was a (kinda) surprise one! I'm really sorry a crisis happened to bring you here but any reason for hopping aboard is a good one. And a welcome one, regardless. So howdy...welcome aboard! :relaxed:

My youngest son had issues, so I taught him an alternative method that worked equally well noticed that he still uses this method.

Hi Kaz :) I'm new here too. 50 yr old woman and newly diagnosed. I don't remember how long it took to learn to tie my shoe laces, it wasn't particularly early , I know that. I do remember I was bad at walking and constantly stubbed my toes and skinned my knees.

I didn't learn to read early, but developed very fast, when I did. Was a voracious bookworm. Terrified, as a child.

Can I ask if things are improving re your personal crisis? And if not, did you want anyone to vent to about it? Coz I'm here and a newbie too.
Hello Yes things are improving. We are talking and seeing each other, and the third party influence has been acknowledged. We have realised we both stuffed up - i.e. as i cannot read between the lines and get subtle signals and my partner tends to avoid conflict and straight talking i missed how bad things were for my partner. So we drifted apart and things came to a head. And add to the whole mix the fact that i am in peri-menopause and my hormones and emotions are all over the place. Hoping we can repair it one day, but for the moment we are both working on our issues and I am working on doing things with my partner - activities I never used to do and committed to doing (enduring :)) more trips away (one of the issues was I never wanted to go on trips as being away and flying both give me huge anxiety). So we will see. We are talking and are still best friends. Fingers crossed. And thank you for asking and offering to vent - i will take you up on it and happy also to listen to you and give you a person to vent to :)

Hello Yes things are improving. We are talking and seeing each other, and the third party influence has been acknowledged. We have realised we both stuffed up - i.e. as i cannot read between the lines and get subtle signals and my partner tends to avoid conflict and straight talking i missed how bad things were for my partner. So we drifted apart and things came to a head. And add to the whole mix the fact that i am in peri-menopause and my hormones and emotions are all over the place. Hoping we can repair it one day, but for the moment we are both working on our issues and I am working on doing things with my partner - activities I never used to do and committed to doing (enduring :)) more trips away (one of the issues was I never wanted to go on trips as being away and flying both give me huge anxiety). So we will see. We are talking and are still best friends. Fingers crossed. And thank you for asking and offering to vent - i will take you up on it and happy also to listen to you and give you a person to vent to :)
I am glad to read that things are improving. I had one recently too, crisis that is. Which prompted me to get diagnosed. Things are improving for me too.:)

I am glad to read that things are improving. I had one recently too, crisis that is. Which prompted me to get diagnosed. Things are improving for me too.:)
Glad to hear things are getting better for you. Hoping for better times ahead for the both of us and everyone else struggling with life in the NT world :)

New Threads

Top Bottom