• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, I'm Scarlett, nice to meet you!

Scarlett.

Hello everyone,

My name is Scarlet, nice to meet you!
I'm a young lady in my early 30's who loves PC gaming, beauty, documentaries, history, movies, politics, my two cats, cooking, and most of all: the love of my life, my boyfriend with autism. *Scroll down for the TLDR-version :).

I'm not entirely unfamilair with (what I believe is called today) 'neurodiversity'. I was officially diagnosed with ADHD myself when I was 21. Relieved, for I had finally found somewhat of an answer to my questions. And angry, because I felt society was telling me that I did not fit in because of who I am, and I had to adjust to what was being expected of me.
It's not easy being told you are different and that you have to change who you are because who you are, is being labeled as 'not functional'. A struggle I learned to accept and balance out over the last 10+ years, and I hope my partner will find his version of 'acceptance' and 'balance' as well, because I can see he is struggling. On a daily basis. And sometimes, it breaks my heart. Seeing him like that.

My partner and I have been together for a little more than 4 years. I got to know him before he got his diagnoses, when he was at a very low point in his life. Being plagued by a rare headache disorder (TAC's, feel free to google) and unable to comprehend what was happening to him, he lost nearly all he had. His education, his job, his social life, his hobbies. Things went from bad to worse to nearly impossible. And that's when I came into his life. Not that I was a great catch myself, since I had gotten a new diagnoses myself only a short while before: a chronic pain syndrom, apparently also neurological and no cure or decent treatment other than symptom relief. I lost my job because of it (social work) and needed to find myself again.
And still, between the hurt and the pain, the chaos and the grief of having lost things, we found each other. And once we started talking, we didn't stop. Life seemed good again and despite a long, sometimes difficult journey, our relationship started to grow to the point where we are now: 4 years together, living together since april last year, sharing the bad and the good things in life, both convinced that this is it. As he likes to call it, his soulmate. And I share that feeling, despite being much less romantic than my boyfriend is ;).
Somewhere in between he got diagnosed with autism, roughly about 2 years ago after having been sent from one psychologist to another because they didn't know what to do with him. A couple of months later, he also got diagnosed with ADHD. And that is when things started to fall in place.
Reading back what I wrote, this does sound like a horrible sobstory :laughing: But it is definitely our story. A little intense sometimes, both having our own diagnoses and struggles, but it is still our story. One that I am proud of.

But I did not come here to tell you how proud I am. I came here with a reason, and that reason is that I think I need a little help in how to deal with autism as a partner.
I try to be there for him as well as I can but I feel no shame in admitting that I sometimes can't. He is an amazing person and I love every fibre of him but as his partner, I also feel frustration, among other things.
I learned the hard way that being familair with neurodiversity does not mean you can fully understand one another. No matter the similarities or correlation between both ADHD and autism: there are things I do not understand. There are things I find hard to deal with. There are things I struggle with and I need to find a way to cope with that, so that we can focus more on the beauty of our relationship, and less on the consequences of our diagnoses, illnesses and disorders. I am not looking for that one golden solution that 'makes it all go away'; I am looking for harmony and balance. Something that we do not have at this moment.

My boyfriend has had treatment for autism, mostly psycho-educational. Treatment is about to start again after he moved in with me and thus moved to another province, which means a new organisation, new people, and a new start. He is very willing to get help (which I am very grateful for) but things are not going so smooth because of various reasons, the TAC's being one of them. He is not one to give up easily, and neither am I. But he is also someone that rarely asks for help and is very convinced he needs to deal with his garbage 'solo'. And that is where we differ, because I do not mind asking for help when I know I have gone through that annoying phase of 'I need to handle this on my own!' for too long, without getting much result for the effort I have put into it. I am here to share, to learn, to reflect, and to grow. And hopefully also to support others if I can.

*TLDR-version: Hi, I'm Scarlet :) and I'm here hoping to find the tools to bring back a little more harmony and balance in my relationship with my boyfriend with autism. I am here to share, to learn, to reflect, and to grow. And hopefully also to support others if I can.

~Scarlett.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am here to share, to learn, to reflect, and to grow. And hopefully also to support others if I can.
What an awesome attitude, I love people like you.

Remember, if there are 1000 of us here who are autistic and answer you, you may get 1000 different answers. It’s good you are seeking tools and basic harmony, and not the CliffsNotes answers to having a partner on the spectrum.

I never ask for help and it drives people mad.

I’m absolutely stupid about relationships and attachment, so I’m not even gonna give you any advice. It just seem like you have a really cool attitude and the way you asked this question is much more understanding than some people do.

1660666901629.png

Welcome @Scarlett. There is quite a diverse group here that can give feedback. Be aware that there are some of us growing up in times when autism was rarely diagnosed except in the most severe cases. In my case and because of my intelligence people thought I was otherwise normal and so my social disfunction was treated as a choice and ocassional meltdowns over frustration as a character defect. That left me adrift and I had to learn to make changes to myself without assistance yet I have been able to have a very long relationship with a loving and accepting woman. In that relationship I have learned that accommodation and communication is crucially important. We support each other which also means giving each other space to pursue interests.

Sometimes it requires work as my spouse likes to repurpose things and to help her I've had to rebuild furniture at times. Her current project has been taking an old crib and turning it into double headboards and footboards for our new bed. and my task will be to securely mount them which I'm trying to figure out how to do.

Having an interesting and fulfilling life in a relationship is the goal. I wish you success with that.

Last edited:
Greetings Scarlet. I have been in a similar situation to your boyfriend so perhaps I can be of some help. I was also in a relationship for someone with ADHD for two years, and my obstinence and insistence on doing things by myself were a definite part of why we eventually drifted away and broke up (though we are still friends).

I am a very private person, and always have been. I genuinely find it difficult to talk about myself and my feelings, even with people who know me very well like my parents. I have a hard time explaining why, mostly because I don't fully understand it myself. I think it might have something to do with the risk involved in speaking about myself. I sometimes also feel like it is subtly manipulative of me to do so when it could affect how others see me, even though I don't see others as remotely manipulative when they do the same. Despite the relationship was not salvageable in the end, we have discussed it quite a lot, both shortly before it ended and also after its end.

For me, I really had no idea how much my obstinateness hurt my partner. I had my internal reasons for my behaviour, and didn't see why I would need to justify myself if it didn't have to do with someone else. However, if I had known that my behaviour was having a major effect on my partner, leaving her confused and frustrated, I think I would have acted differently, or at least attempted to change my approach. My advice for you, is to be clear about how your boyfriend's behavior is making you feel. If you can get him to really understand how you feel when he acts like that, it gives him a reason to do something different, otherwise it might seem pointless or like others are trying to control him (something I was very sensitive about).

I wish you the best. I concur with others here that you seem pretty cool. Feel free to hang around if you want to. It might help you understand him further.

Hi. Very difficult to know what to say or suggest. You give a lot of the general history but describe thr problem areas in a non-specific way, like 'struggles'.

I am encouraged on your behalf that both of you sound willing to try and work things out. It can be done. There are several here, myself invluded that have been in successful life long relationships with NT partners. Not that there haven't been 'struggles'. ;) But don't all relationships have those? However there are probably some unique to the NT-ASD match up.

Can you perhaps break it down to smaller pieces and specific issues? It maybe easier to provide some insight if we have dealt with it ourselves.

Welcome!

And I'll echo Rodafina's sentiments in stating that the world could use more people like yourself who approach people and concerns with empathy and looking to find solutions.

Remember, if there are 1000 of us here who are autistic and answer you, you may get 1000 different answers.
Because Autism is on a spectrum and I bet our outlook on life is too, and colored by our experiences, the answers will go from objective to kindly supportive to experiential, a wide gamut.

I didn't catch the meaning . . . so, like an Abstract or Executive Summary. Standard practice at the top of a journal article.
On social media sites like Reddit, TLDR (too long didn't read) summaries are usually placed at the end to avoid being a spoiler for those who'd like to read the full post (or try).

Great to have you here. You and your boyfriend have been thru alot. Men on the spectrum bring so much life and passion to life.

Welcome Scarlett.

I read your whole post and it is great to see how much your relationship means to you.
I'm another who has no experience in relationships that work.
So, I wish you all the best in making yours a great experience.

The only thing I can say regarding what you spoke of is the need to take care of
my problems without help or asking for help.
And I can tell you my feelings on this come from trust issues, not pride.
Some may feel they need to appear strong. Able to handle everything on their
own. Asking for help or talking about things that are bothering them may make
them feel weak.

My problem was I never trusted anyone enough to show or talk about my problems with for fear it would make them feel I'm needy or broken in some way and that would make them turn away. People want a no problem person for a partner.
At least that's how I always saw it.
Showing love, empathy and kind words is the best answer for someone who
may feel the same.

New Threads

Top Bottom