• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, I'm new. Introduction. . .

Lysander

Hey,

Must say I'm glad to be here - true Asperger's communities, consisting of those who are actually on the autistic spectrum, are absolutely brilliant, shining motes of humanity. NOT TO PAY MYSELF A COMPLEMENT OR ANYTHING (just kidding, we both know I did), but I look forward to meeting others who exist upon a similar plane of thought.

Here's some info about myself, for other's perusal:

Basic:

I am a 20-year-old college freshman living in Oregon, USA. I am not other than female.

Personal:

I think I've always had a hard time putting myself out there. I learn linguistically, showcase the highly viable skill of persuasion, and am even aware of the potential in that; even still, an unfamiliar smiling face and subsequential invitation are emotionally synonymous with the nightmare stuffs of eyes glinting in the dark above the flash of carnivorous teeth. . . it's something that I'm continuing to work on. I don't dislike people.

I love science, and in that, defend the truth, even against myself. Turns out, that's not always pro-social. . . love hurts, doesn't it?

History:

Although obviously present from birth, I did not grow up aware of Aspergers. My youth was fairly standard, and in retrospect, I cherish my differences.

As a young person with Asperger's, I have enjoyed qualities and abilities denied to most others. Who could have guessed that I would defeat the odds put forth by abusive and generally absent relatives - without intervention? I simply chose not to participate in illicit behavior. I knew, logically, that it was wrong. I knew, logically, that the retention of legal rights and complex problem-solving capacities was necessary in order to achieve effectual connection to reality - to the world, to infinity, or to god as some like to put it. The external, to the extent that I wanted it, remained available to me. I did not have an instinct to do what others did "just because" and I will forever rejoice in that asymmetry.

Regarding adulthood; I received the diagnosis of "Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified" at the age of 17, while undergoing residential mental health treatment. I entered following suicidal ideations, which I have never experienced since, nor shall have again. I am not depressed. At the age of 20, PDD-NOS was updated, and Asperger's took it's place.

Last Friday, I left treatment completely. Today, I live independently, happily absorbed in my interests, and anticipating a fine 20th year. Perfection is a nice sentiment, but even nicer is the apt phrase "nothing worth having was ever easy". An exaggeration, to be sure - but, upon comparing it to freedom, friendship, and peace - I confirm that the intended point is logical.

I am especially excited to hear from others who are on the autistic spectrum.

Last edited:
Welcome :)

Great introduction. I hope you feel right at home here. I'm sure you'll find that our members are quite friendly, obliging, people.

Should you wish to read from, or contribute to, our resources section, you can access it here: Resources | AspiesCentral.com

I also like to recommend this book in particular to women on the spectrum, as it's easy to digest, and was extremely relatable for me. It may even help you to better understand certain aspects of why "love hurts" the way it does for us:
Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

Hi Lysander, welcome to our Aspie community. Glad you found this place where you can enjoy your freedom amongst like-minded people. Have fun exploring our little universe :)

New Threads

Top Bottom