• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

NRG75

Hi Everyone.

I have left the land of FB and still want to be connected to Autistic Community as I navigate parenting my super amazing Autistic 8.5-year-old. I like learning from other parents and from autistic teens and adults. Currently I am really trying to find non-traditional methods to support my daughter as she navigates a not always friendly world. So far the things that have helped her the most are: Sensory Diet with support of and OT, using a device called “Goally” to manage schedule/executive functioning and promote her strong desire to be more independent, social stories to explain new situations, and lots of acceptance and leeway to be herself. She owns her identity and I’m so proud of her! I’d love to hear from other parents about what’s helping their kids at home.

Hiya NRG75! Welcome to the forums!

Is it bad that when I read, "non-traditional methods", my first thought was, "electroshock"? ;)

Hiya NRG75! Welcome to the forums!

Is it bad that when I read, "non-traditional methods", my first thought was, "electroshock"? ;)

Yikes! I meant things besides traditional behavioral and talk therapies. Definitely not physical harm!

Yikes! I meant things besides traditional behavioral and talk therapies. Definitely not physical harm!

Haha! Yeah.. On second thought, that probably was the traditional therapy back in the day... :rolleyes:
Anyways, I think there's some parents of Autistics around here somewhere... Not sure where they hide.. Lots of us older AS folk around though. :)

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

Hi NRG75 :)

welcome to af.png

Basically, find what Autismspeaks suggests, and do the opposite. Most aspies despise their methodology. Adult Aspies who remember back to the forced therapies that made them behave like other people, and recall them to be torturous.

welcome to the forum. Have a look around and see which threads catch your eye as ones worth reading.

I was diagnosed at 59 -3 years ago. (Always knew I was different but didn't know why). I have 4 kids who are grown and all have kids of their own. Two of them are certainly on the spectrum, possibly 3. Of my grandkids 1 of them is definitely on the spectrum - in first grade and having problems at school. two others I would suspect. It IS easier with the girls. But anyway, I was raised no different from my siblings and my kids were raised the same. We were taught how to behave in public and so on without exception. I know the severity makes a difference.

I'm not sure which is better. Instilling into the child "this is how to behave, you learn to control your actions, you don't make those noises, etc) - it, at least, helps them fit in and cope with society, although it doesn't help them accept who they are. Or making a point to accept who they are, including inappropriate behavior like noise making, which makes them stand out and often targets for bullying. (Just some thoughts). :)

Hi & Welcome to the Forums. A safer and more informative forum than FB as you may find hopefully.

New Threads

Top Bottom