• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello all I am new here

Intensate

Hello all
I have only recently found out I have aspergers. I found out after seeing a neurologist at Addenbrooks about 9 months ago.after being missed for 47 years as my Gp etc all put my problems down to a traumatic brain injury at 18 months old.Also my gp surgery are not autistic trained .

It transformed my life knowing why I am so different,it explained so much of my lifes struggles.
I was also fortunate to be seeing a councillor that saw it in me in the 2nd session with me and told me when I came to her with the diagnoses .She is fully autistic aware and this helped me come to terms with it too.
My councillor helped me understand that for most of my life I had been trying to change aspects of my personality that can not be changed and help me adapt to it and accept The changes that can't be changed.
I spent time watching many videos and reading books ,and the more I did this the more it helped me understand my self and my life.
I have found out ways to help me now when I have meltdowns and how better cope with them.

One thing that has been so helpful is being out on the local river in my town,I find my own peace and mindfulness .Over time time I saw there were always beer cans and litter in the river so I got a litter picker and started to clean the river. This gave me even more mindfulness as I zone out in the moment looking for things to find and helps clear my mind of the everyday anxiety's and gets me out in the fresh air.
Over time I set up a dedicated Facebook page at the same time with my new friends I had gained from doing the work and wanted to help me on the river.Our page reaches 5-12000 people a week now as we slowly educate people on litter.I also found I enjoy doing "River fly" monitoring so I also know the health of the rivers too.
This has led me to push my comfort zones going to town council meetings full of noise and people,Its become easier and have learnt to adapt to busy environments,even though the next day can be burned out and melting!
I know its worth doing and i cope better even standing up and doing speeches
I have been engaging with the public having stalls up at different events locally.
Go back five years I would never of tried my anxiety's would overwhelm me .
Having the right friends that help and support me doing my work has given me opportunities that I would mot have followed.

RIMG0034.JPG

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

I enjoyed your story about the riverside cleanup. What a great way to make new friends! Even though that was not what motivated you to pick up the litter.

Welcome to the forums.

Hi and welcome, I like your positive approach. I had a similar time of trying to change aspects of myself that I couldn't change, and I agree that it's helpful to know in order to devise realistic strategies around how I am. There are of course gifts as well as challenges in neurodiversity.

:herb::fish::seedling::dolphin::leafwind::tropicalfish::herb::seedling:

Hi Intensate

welcome to af.png

TBI survivor here too ;)
We put it together that I was on the autism spectrum during my cognitive rehab sessions.

Hi Gadabout
it was great for me to find out things that give me motivation,I didn't know how much it would help my well being until I tried it.Its helped me make the best friends I have ever had and helped me do new things and cope with the anxietys of doing new stuff.
My river work has led to me being involved with the press,on the first occasions my anxiety went to level 10 and I would melt down.
I have learned the coping strategy's and each time has got easier.
Today I had my best ever interview from the press ,I am so proud how well it went and I had the rare level 10 happy and excited emotion all the way through it. They videoed me too and it was great,the story flowed so naturally.

New Threads

Top Bottom