• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Heat wave days and my energy

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Here in western Canada most of August so far has been heat wave, and it's starting to look like a whole month of it (possibly) according to most longer term forecasts

My struggle with it has been my energy levels, in particular as August is festival season and I love the energy of that, but I've been struggling with maintaining my energy, certainly around my photography or just simply enjoying the festivals regardless of that

And being the first full festival season since 2019, I am getting a little frustrated, like I've been held back by something as simple as weather, as it's challenging to be outside for long periods of times, and I don't like feeling cooped up at home too much... And I'm quite certain I'm not the only person feeling like this...

But I am also careful to complain too much as far too quickly winter will be here :)

Some people thrive by being outdoorsy where I live (southern US) and I don't understand it at all. I spend like an hour outside most days and that's more than enough for me during the summer. I'm getting more and more acclimated to it (I'm not a southern-native), but it completely zaps your energy most of the time.

Winter is really like our summer, because it's finally safe for everyone to go outside without having a heatstroke.

Some people thrive by being outdoorsy where I live (southern US) and I don't understand it at all. I spend like an hour outside most days and that's more than enough for me during the summer. I'm getting more and more acclimated to it (I'm not a southern-native), but it completely zaps your energy most of the time.

Winter is really like our summer, because it's finally safe for everyone to go outside without having a heatstroke.

Winter here tends to be snow and cold... I'm most comfortable at about 20 to 25 Celcius, which this summer has not been most of the time, and I almost feel like it's wearing me out... But once Fall comes and cooler temperatures, all the fun festivals are mostly gone too...

I thrive when the weather is in the 40s-low 60s. As long as it isn't raining (misty sprinkles are okay), I'm out and about, every day, on trails in the forest, having picnics, and exploring.

I'm a delicate orchid. Once it gets too hot or sunny, I wilt.

I'm very sensitive to sunlight. It hurts my eyes and makes my skin feel like I'm getting a burn. I don't like it. I prefer moonlight.

Perfect timing for this post: I was just texting a friend to tell her I think I am melting. The Netherlands is dealing with a heat wave too. Since our houses are not built to deal with heat, being inside is very unpleasant (temperature indoors is still 30 degrees Celsius at 5 AM today). I don’t sleep well under normal circumstances, but with this hot weather it’s even worse. My energy levels are very low and I am cranky. I seriously worry about lashing out at people at work, or even worse, falling asleep on the job.

I do like summer, but I’d prefer it if the temperature was 10 degrees lower.

My struggle with it has been my energy levels, in particular as August is festival season and I love the energy of that, but I've been struggling with maintaining my energy, certainly around my photography or just simply enjoying the festivals regardless of that
It has been a real challenge to get outside with my cameras in this heat, that is for sure. I'm trying to be more active early and late in the day. Not much good to you as I'm primarily a landscape photographer whereas your love seems to be events and gatherings.

Yes, it exhausts me and makes me feel weak, luckily nights are comfortable here, so I go a bit out at night. I hope fall is coming in a month or so. Usually last day above 30 degrees C here is around 15 September, last above 25 around 5 October and last above 20 in late October.

Heat above 35 degrees is pretty normal here, so we mostly have air conditioners at home and in most public spaces. Only exception are schools and public transport where it is a hell.

I am jealous of your art, your craft, your passion.

I know that practicing photography in less than ideal circumstances is difficult for the craftsman and hard on the tools; the equipment.

At the risk of stating the obvious, one might make sure he is getting plenty of rest, staying soundly hydrated, and being prepared to pace himself in such a way that he doesn't exasperate himself.

I can’t wait to see your photographic images from this summer. As I remember from past posts, you have a gift.

Be careful. It’s hot. Don’t be afraid. Be prudent. Be prepared. Go for it!

Like you, I have been managing the many consecutive days of 100+ fahrenheit here in the central US. Being outside any length of time is not for those who aren’t prepared and used to it somewhat.

Thank you for the post. May your shutter be dry and condensation free! Wait ….. was that a snowflake? Couldn’t have been. All in good time.

Yes, excessive heat is a real obstacle. Not much one can do except to try and stay cool and wait it out.

But I'm too stubborn and impatient... Something like that... :tongueout:

I have experienced heat exhaustion several times in places like Mississipi, Nevada and South Carolina. It can be scary really. Like a car blowing it's thermostat and having no contol. So when there is a lot of heat now, I immediately put up the white flag and try and stay inside with a/c.

9.jpg

;)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom